Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

7b7

Hi all,

This is my first post. I have been looking around online and have become interested in IPSC and the USPSA competitions. I have no experience in any comps. I am interested in getting started. I plan on buying "Practical Shooting, Beyond Fundamentals."

But, question is: I own a Glock 30. Would this gun work in getting started? Does anyone use a Glock 30? Or am I going to be looking at buying a new gun just to get started? From what I have been reading it does not look like many people use this type of gun (please correct me if I am wrong). I plan on eventually buying another gun, but right now money is kind of tight. (starving student)

Thanks everyone

Hi and welocme to the forum, a wonderful resource of information and knowledge. The Glock 30 isn't a first choice (limited round capacity) but of course, to get started and get into the world of IPSC shooting you are most welcome with your Glock.

I started shooting IPSC competitions (IPSC Standard Division) in 1998 with a .45" Colt Series 80, to which I added some aftermaket parts to be able to start.

At that time I was not sure I would have liked to go on in this sport, so I just started shooting (and having fun) with what I had.

No plan to win something at the very beginning (and no hope to win something several years later... <_< ).

After 2 years of shooting the .45" I decided I was hooked, and moved to an SVI .40" SW.

My .02c advice is start with what you already have (if you shoot USPSA, Lim-10, mag capacity might not be an issue): if you feel you like it you will eventually move to a new gun.

My .02c advice is start with what you already have (if you shoot USPSA, Lim-10, mag capacity might not be an issue): if you feel you like it you will eventually move to a new gun.

This is good advice, I wholeheartedly second that.

And welcome to EnosVerse of course, hope you enjoy it as much as we do !

Your Glock 30 will be just fine for Limited-10 and Production. You should have at least 5 magazines. No course of fire will require more than 32 rounds minimum, or 4 magazines, but you will occasionally have to change magazines often enough you will wish you had at least 5. Because our sport tries to balance speed and accuracy most shooters eventually realize the longer sight radius of a 5 or 6 inch barrel is superior to the 3 inch. This will make you take your time to be more accurate which is an unfair advantage!

Welcome!

As has been said, any gun will do but for someone on a tight budget , you should consider what you need just to "play" the game. That is: a holster, mag holders, most likely more mags, and last but not least, lots and lots of ammo.

You probably don't have a reloader so you'll have to buy ammo, and since you have a .45 cal Glock 30, it's not going to be particularily cheap for you.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from playing with your Glock 30, but I do want to point out that a gun in 9mm will be much cheaper to play with.

Thank you everyone for all of your help. I appreciate all of it. I think what I am going to do is to buy some more mags, and as much ammo as I can afford and head down to the range.

Thanks Again

Get in there and shoot! If you do well with that G30, people are going to take you very very seriously, I can tell you that. :)

Just go out and have a good time. Shoot at what they tell you to shoot at and take your time. One thing I can guarantee: you are going to love it.

- Gabe

starving student,

Unless you are reloading, the cost of buy 45 ammo off the shelf will put a damper on your practice and match attendance in short order.

Buying 45 off the shelf sucks...money out of your wallet.

Buying 9mm from Wal-mart (Winchester 100 round valu-u-paks = $11) is a MUCH better option. The money you will save by buying 9mm compared to 45 will pay for a new gun in short time.

As to the competitiveness of the gun...

The G30 is an awesome little machine. Accurate, compact, powerful, and easier to shoot than most people think. It would be on the short list of guns I would like to have stashed away in a handy place in case the zombies or crack-heads attacked. It might be as close as you can get to a 12-gauge shotgun that will fit in an ankle-holster or a cubby-hole.

My best friend (since forever) has a G30. He doesn't shoot matches very often...but he manages OK with it when he does come out. He is shooting to shoot, not to win the match.

I brought my G17 out for him to shoot the last time he showed up at a match. He seemed pretty aprreciative. ;)

If I were starting, I'd sell the G30 and get a G17 (or just look to buy a G17). I don't know where you are located, but you ought to be able to fine a used G17 for $400 or so in many parts of the USA. And, you should be able to get that much out of your G30 if it is in decent (stock) shape.

Bottom line, a G17 is easier to shoot and a lot cheaper to feed. But, I'd have a good time shooting a G30 as well. As Gabe said...get in there and shoot. You'll figure out if you wnat to switch up.

Ditto to what Flex said, the cost in competition shooting is the shooting itself. If $$$ is an issue you need a 9mm because once again the cost of shoting is shooting. Especially when you are starting out, you can get used to the recoil and calling your shoots easier with a 9mm. It is easier to adapt to recoil once you have good technique and confidence in calling your shots. Plus you will have to shoot for points shooting minor so ou avoid the new shooter trap of "hosing targets." Sorry to have to so vehemently disagree with the shoot what you have crowd, but this is the advise I wish I would have been given when I started out. BTW I started out with widebody .45 and I could have saved so much $$$ if I woud have started out with a 9mm until I figured out what I really wanted (full blown race guns :) )

7b7 welcome,

Another starving student here. I can only second what Flex said completely. A 9mm is much cheaper to feed. And it will also do very good in Production division. You'll then have a gun that's both cheap and competitive.

Well, I think that I have some more things to consider now. I don't really want to sell my Glock 30 (I love this gun). I may have to take a look at some of the local gunstores around and see what I can get a G17 for. If I can get one for the right price, then this may be an option to consider. Would the G17 be the best way to go for a 9mm, or is there any other reliable and accurate 9mm to look at?

Every shooter on Earth should own a 9mm Glock!

BTW, I'd hate to sell the G30 as well. But if it came down to having to do so, I would. You could always buy a G30 again when the money is flowing more freely. (All the G30's seem really good.)

I'd much rather see a shoot shoot a LOT of 9mm, than shoot some 45.

Great fun, and an amazing learning experience.

What about the possability of buying a reloader? I was looking at the Dillon AT 500 Reloader, it is selling for about $194. I could save up for this over the summer. Is reloading something I can teach myself to do by reading manuals and talking to others? Would it be worth the purchase?

7b7

Reloading is something you can definitly do and will save you money. I am still going to agree with the forum on switching over to 9mm. First - its going to be an easier gun to shoot. It'll be easier for you to focus on the MANY components of this game. Second - the economics on 9MM are simply better. Even if you decide to reload - you'll get more bullets (for the money), cheaper brass, and use less powder shooting 9mm. All that means more shooting - and that leads to improvement.

And I will say this - I am a HUGE fan of the .45 ACP. I own a dozen of the things - so I have nothing against a .45. In fact - I don't own a single 9x19 . . . which is ironic given my advice to you. Still - I've been on the starving student budget - and getting more for the money was always a priority.

JB

If money is the biggest constraint (and when isn't it?) then the AT500, but if you can see your way clear to a 550 you'd be better served and if you could get the 650, you'd be set for life. This one press will load about any caliber you'll ever shoot.

As for getting a 9x19 for porduction. It is cheaper to shoot, probably the cheapest, but a .40 S&W G22 is real nice. the loads are softer but harder hitting on steel.

Don't want to confuse, but you should have all the information.

Jim Norman

The neat thing about the AT500 is that it can grow into a 550B as you have money to spare. Thats the way I did it. As soon as you are tired of using some separate way of mesuring powder you will save the $70 for the powder messure. Then the $70 for the primer assembly. And then the $15 for the autoeject. And behold, you now have a 550B. Cool, eh?

Vlad

I seriously recommend the Square Deal B over either the AT500 or 550B. The latter machines are not progressive, which makes them considerably more labor intensive to operate than the progressive SDB, and makes it MUCH more likely you'll either double charge or put together a round without powder (neither of which is, how shall I put this, much fun). Unless you also plan to load large rifle cartridges, the larger machines' ability to do that is a non-issue.

My $.02.

I agree with Duane.

The auto indexing feature of the SDB, 650 and 1050 make them much easier and therefore safer. The case feed and powder check on the 650 & 1050 mean that the operator focuses on very few things (visual powder check, set bullet, pull handle, feel the primer seat).