Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Apex Competition AEK & Wolf primers . . .

Pro2AInPA

I had frequent light strike issues with the stock striker springs (both old and new design). I finally finished up the last of my wolfs and will never buy them again.

All I needed to hear, thanks. I'll stick with Winchester and Federal.

In my testing if you seat them to between .006 to .008 deep in the case they will go bang everytime. They are not federals, and are acutally not as tall as winchester primers. It boils down to QC on your primers when you check them. If they are not below flush, get a hand primer and push them in. I hate to say it, but after loading over 100K of wolf primers in rifle and pistol rounds it ain't the primers if they go bang the second time.....

FWIW.... B)

DougC

Anyone using Wolf primers with the Competition AEK? Any light strike issues?

Yes.

Some of it is the primers (the Wolf, nickel plated, small pisol are the hardest available), and some of it is the press I am using (Hornady LNL AP).

If I hand seat each one after it comes off the progressive, they'll go bang 97-99/100.

If I don't, I'll get a 1/5 or 1/6 FTF rate. There's no way to get .006 - .008" below flush on a Hornady LNL AP, I've tried.

On the other hand, they work great in my rifles with robust ignition systems with only a ~1/3000 FTF rate and give low ESs and SDs.

Yes.

Some of it is the primers (the Wolf, nickel plated, small pisol are the hardest available), and some of it is the press I am using (Hornady LNL AP).

If I hand seat each one after it comes off the progressive, they'll go bang 97-99/100.

If I don't, I'll get a 1/5 or 1/6 FTF rate. There's no way to get .006 - .008" below flush on a Hornady LNL AP, I've tried.

On the other hand, they work great in my rifles with robust ignition systems with only a ~1/3000 FTF rate and give low ESs and SDs.

I also load on an LNL AP. Never had any issues getting my primers seated.

Yes.

I also load on an LNL AP. Never had any issues getting my primers seated.

I'm one of the lucky ones I guess.

There's a ~7 page thread on the non-Dillon reloading page here about the troubles some LNL AP users are having getting certain brands of primers to seat. My troubles are only with Wolf SPP w/nickel plated cups and a large lot of them I bought in early 2010.

I load them on a Dillon 550b. I'd seat the primer, back off the handle, and seat it again firmly. I did this both for .38spl and 9mm. I had more problems with the 9mm in a stock M&P than I did in my 686SSR (also stock at the time). Other people I;ve talked to had similar experiences, wolf's would go bang 100% in their glock but no so much in their M&P's. Before I switched primers I contemplated putting in an extra power striker spring from SSS.

I started loading with Wolf when it was all I could get. Unless I double/triple stroked the seating religiously, I'd get a 2-3/100 failure rate in a stock M&P. When I got a case of federals to try a few weeks ago, I thought 'OHH this is what seating a primer is supposed to feel like'. Only shot one match with them so far, but ~200 were perfect in my comp AEK M&P.

I've only used the small pistol. A friend of mine has burned ~30,000 small rifle in his registered FNC (full auto 5.56) without problems.

I haven't tried them in my M&P yet.. doubt I will ( as I've put the whole APEX trigger and spring kit in it) , but I had a few FTF with a G34 with 4# striker spring, so I went back to using Win for 9mm. loaded on a Dillon 1050.

I've shot 30K Wolf SSP thru my limited guns. STI .40s loaded on a Dillon 550. with NEVER a problem. I plan to keep using them, since I have another 30K to shoot up.

I haven't tried them in my M&P yet.. doubt I will ( as I've put the whole APEX trigger and spring kit in it) , but I had a few FTF with a G34 with 4# striker spring, so I went back to using Win for 9mm. loaded on a Dillon 1050.

I've shot 30K Wolf SSP thru my limited guns. STI .40s loaded on a Dillon 550. with NEVER a problem. I plan to keep using them, since I have another 30K to shoot up.

I have M&P9 with the APEX CompAEK, and I use Tula (Wolf) primers loading on a 650. They go bang 99.5% of the time. Every two hundred rounds or so i get a dud. I don't know if that is a poorly made primer or the lighter trigger. I bet they would have the same fail rate in a stock M&P or a Glock.