Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need a Holster Recommendation

Lubecktech

My optic mount is a Mako mount which attaches to the accessory rail.

At the moment I am looking at the CR Speed for $69.00 shipped. I have looked at the Hogue PowerSpeed hloster but would not consider it as I have talked to people who didn't have good experiences with them. Have read many bad things about the Hogue holster too. CR Speed seems to have a pretty good reputation.

Edited by Lubecktech

Safe, workable and CHEAP holster for open gun...good luck with that one.

My suggestion is the DAA Racemaster. Can pick one up from Shooters Connection. They arent all that cheap but they are secure and smooth to draw from.

Hello: Having tried alot of holsters I settled on two that I like. The old Ghost holster with the pin and the Race Master. The Race Master has one advantage in that you can change just the block for different pistols or even a revolver. I bought mine from Shooters Connection and use Safariland 771's for mag holders. Thanks, Eric

At the moment I am looking at the CR Speed for $69.00 shipped. I have looked at the Hogue PowerSpeed hloster but would not consider it as I have talked to people who didn't have good experiences with them. Have read many bad things about the Hogue holster too. CR Speed seems to have a pretty good reputation.

If that is the price for a new holster, then it's not a CR Speed, they go for around $160. If that's a used price, take care because the locking mechanism can wear out and need replacing.

There is nothing inherently wrong with the PowerSpeed, but they are not easily set up for a pistol with a scope mount bracket like you have - particularly if it is aluminum since the PowerSpeed depends, in part, on magnets.

You're right not CR but Mac Arms.

Be very careful. That's likely a cheap knock-off and you don't want a cheap race holster. A race holster has to have a very secure locking mechanism and a solidly built frame or you risk having your gun bite the dirt if you bump against something.

Hello: Think of a holster as a safe for your expensive jewelry :roflol: Would you want your expensive watch to fall on the ground? I want the most secure holster I can find and have found them. I have dropped a pistol from a so called locked holster---twice :surprise: That holster went away after that. As they say "cry once" and buy the best. Thanks, Eric

I nearly dropped the gun from the RaceMaster. Problem is (OK, not a problem... a concern...) something like Ghost (for instance) gives you clear indication it is not locked - the gun wobbles noticeably. With RM once you insert it - it sits there with no wobble, so it is possible to forget to lock it. I did... as I then sat down the gun started shifting out of the holster - I caught it in time, but it was close.

Edited by Foxbat

So far the C-R Speed seems to be the best value at About $120 at Brownells. I'm not looking for "cheap" but am looking for the best value. The Mec Arms may or may not be a decent holster but it will not work with a Glock or M&P for that matter.

I've been considering that as Blade Tech makes a nice holster for guns with lights that would work. I also have been considering having Talon Tactical make a custom Kydex holster for me. They have done so in the past and been very pleased.

I personally would go with the Ghost holster.

I have one for my G22 open gun, and it works just fine. When it's locked, it's locked, and even when it's not, the gun will not fall out unless you turn it almost completely upside-down..

OTOH, I have seen a DAA holster FALL OFF of the belt mount! True, the block remained locked on the gun, but the whole thing fell off of the belt mount.

If you go with the DAA, make DAMN sure that you use Loctite on the adjustment screws!

Hogue Power Speed

If you always draw from the intermediate lock position it's a fast and the gun is secure.

Would the PowerSpeed work with a Glock?? From what I understand they rely partially on magnets and I have read a lot of negative things about them. But those who are dissatisified tend to crow louder than those who ate satisified.

The Power Speed offers 3 ways to draw a pistol.

1. Magnets holding the gun--a good way for it to fall out and hit the ground.

2. Full lock position, released by a lever hit w/your thumb on drawing--very secure but slower than #3.

3. Intermediate lock, released by the thumb on the draw, extremely secure and a very fast draw.

My Power Speed will hold Glocks, SVI and 1911s w/no adjustment.

I alos have Ghost, Lim Cat, Safariland 011, Gurka Rebis and CR Speed holsters--after trying them all I use a Power Speed.

Edited by the duck of death

My suggestion is the DAA Racemaster.

Second that one!

+1

+2. Although you will not beat $69 for a Ghost Holster IMHO. I currently run a Ghost (which is a very secure and safe race holster, BTW), but will be changing to the DAA as soon as I can spare a few extra for it.

Hogue Power Speed

If you always draw from the intermediate lock position it's a fast and the gun is secure.

Would the PowerSpeed work with a Glock?? From what I understand they rely partially on magnets and I have read a lot of negative things about them. But those who are dissatisified tend to crow louder than those who ate satisified.

The Hogue Powerspeed will work IF you don't have a frame mounted optic.

I had a Hogue that I used for a couple of years with my 1911 for L10 and my Glock 22 when I switched to Limited.

Nice to not have to buy a new holster for a new gun.