Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's up with Limiting Divisions at Major Matches?

At my very recent Shotgun only action match, I had 34 competitors.. I offered 4 divisions (last year too). Open, Limited, Field, and cowboy. I had 6 open shooters, no field division, 1 cowboy, and the rest limited.. Field division is based on a standard Mossberg 500 and is limited to 5+1. Cowboy is 2 rounds regardless of double or pump. I will keep on offering the field division as I think it's a good division for people not completely devoted to action shooting.. and Cowboy too since they like to play sometimes also.. This is a local match I am thinking about making a bit more if I can garner interest. Last year it was similar, there may have been 1 or 2 in cowboy division and I think 3 or 4 in field.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When someone can figure out a way to make any shooting sport have appeal to non-shooters, televise it live on a major sports cable channel, then it might begin to attract sponsors willing to drop a large amount of cash in sponsorship. Until that time, it is not likely that no matter how it is organized, any shooting event, let alone one as relatively small as 3 gun, can attract enough cash to payout across the field of entrants. 3 Gun Nation has fantastic production values, yet cannot get a half-decent time slot on the channel it is currently under. Top Shot is a reality show with the challenges based around shooting. To date it has come the closest, yet it is not televising a shooting sport, it is a reality show.ESPN ignores the shooting sports currently.Shooting isn't NASCAR, isn't even bowling. We are in a tiny pond in comparison to other sports.Until shooting can attract non-shooting sponsors, it is unlikely to attract enough sponsor cash to replace the prize table.

When someone can figure out a way to make any shooting sport have appeal to non-shooters, televise it live on a major sports cable channel, then it might begin to attract sponsors willing to drop a large amount of cash in sponsorship. Until that time, it is not likely that no matter how it is organized, any shooting event, let alone one as relatively small as 3 gun, can attract enough cash to payout across the field of entrants. 3 Gun Nation has fantastic production values, yet cannot get a half-decent time slot on the channel it is currently under. Top Shot is a reality show with the challenges based around shooting. To date it has come the closest, yet it is not televising a shooting sport, it is a reality show.ESPN ignores the shooting sports currently.Shooting isn't NASCAR, isn't even bowling. We are in a tiny pond in comparison to other sports.Until shooting can attract non-shooting sponsors, it is unlikely to attract enough sponsor cash to replace the prize table.

Shooting matchs that have a cash purse rather than prizes will generate more viewer interest and hence more broadcast interest which is the reason root cause that the Super Bowl has more interest than a high school game. Other than the Olympics, there is no broadcast of individual sports where the individuals just perform for prizes or trophies (well OK you do have Little League World Series).

Shooting is taking off on shows such as Top Gun and Manications. Who would have thought that the number one show on cable on Mondays would be Pawn Stars? Pawn Stars proves it is all about how you package a product. FN was able to broadcast because it controlled the product it was broadcasting. Getting a broadcaster interested in broadcasting shooting or even a baseball game where the rules change from match to match or game to game is a NO GO.

• 2 weeks later...

a comment from an old guy that is happy just to break 50% on place finish... back when Kyle Lamb was working for a living, and put on the North Carolina Tactical matches (basically a TacOptic only match) his "Lewis system" gave an equitable payout to shooters of all skill levels...take the total number of entrants and divide equally into three separate divisions...gold, silver, bronze ....example: 150 shooters, HOA would be first gold, 50th place would be first silver, and 100th place would be first bronze...they would be the first to the prize table in that order, then second gold/silver/bronze, third gold/silver/bronze then the rest of the finishers by place

• 1 month later...