Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 AR Section Multi Gun match

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind of targets at 300 yards?

Mike Gibson at MGM Targets is providing Flash Targets for the 300 yard range. Basically a stage I RO'd with Jay Worden at Clark Range near Shreveport a few years ago when they last held the National MG match there. Flash targets at 100, 200 and 300 yards. Timed fire. Will make this stage go a lot quicker than the last few years. Includes one mandatory reload.

Cheryl, I think Mike is on the 'Unsquaded' list. If he has not received a PIN, he can probably use his USPSA PIN number to get on a squad. If you have a problem, email me at brucebethell@sbcglobal.net, and we'll fix it. Or maybe he is waiting for your squad to be full :)

Look forward to seeing you all again.

Bruce

No pin email for me. I need to see if my check was cashed.

Jesse, I'm not showing your entry, but mail from OK to here is sometimes a little slow. I have not checked mail this weekend. A Post-It note has been left for the Chairwoman of the Registration Department (my secretary) to send you an email if the entry is not here Monday.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce! I sent it the day after the application came out. So that probably means it's lost. I'll resend and cancel the other check.

Last year we shot 4 slugs at full size USPSA papper at around 50 yards if I remember correctly. The rest were close range at 10-20 yards.

Heavy Metal update. Note my post above about what it takes to make a Division out of Heavy Metal. As of today, only two shooters have sent in paid entries for HM. Several folks have indicated they might shoot HM, but I don't want to leave the confirmed shooters hanging. We try to accommodate everyone, but if we can't make a Division of HM, I want to let people know well in advance so they can gear up for another plan.

Bruce

Thanks for rattling my cage. I confirmed the Match Hotel today. Candlewood Suites has offered a great deal for the Match. Same place we have used for the past couple of years, and a really nice property close to the Range. All the rooms have full size fridge, kitchen equipped. For those few of us left, they offer some smoking rooms. Rates they have provided are single Queen room, $72; Double Queen room, $80; suite with 1 Queen plus a sleeper sofa for $89. They are Holiday Inn affiliate, so you can use points if you have them available. Address is 7501 Madison Avenue, Fort Smith, AR 72903. Just off Phoenix Avenue, close to lots of good eating places, Wal Mart Super Center, other places of interest. Call them direct at (479) 424-3800, tell them the Rate Code is Gun Match, to get this special deal.

Bruce

I called Candlewood Suites just now and they did not have the information for the rate code 'Gun Match'.

Since it's still several weeks out I'm sure they didn't think anyone would make a reservation this soon. Well, they obviously haven't met me!

I didn't book and said I'd try back in a few weeks to see if the information had trickled down yet.

No worries, still a ton of time until I leave for the match.

Darren

I called Candlewood Suites just now and they did not have the information for the rate code 'Gun Match'.

Since it's still several weeks out I'm sure they didn't think anyone would make a reservation this soon. Well, they obviously haven't met me!

I didn't book and said I'd try back in a few weeks to see if the information had trickled down yet.

No worries, still a ton of time until I leave for the match.

Darren

Problem has been fixed. Apparently, a new employee at the desk didn't know to turn the page to the second list of special rate offers. I've talked to the Candlewood Suites folks, and our special rates are now front page. Just be sure to call the property direct at (479) 424-3800, not the toll free reservation number.

As we get closer to match date, emails will go out to registered shooters with a map covering the hotel and the Range, not to mention other information.

NOTE TO HEAVY METAL SHOOTERS: Look at the earlier post about making a Division out of Heavy Metal. As of today, we only have two paid entries who want to shoot HM. If you want to shoot the high power stuff, get your entry in soon.

Bruce

What kind of rules does a USPSA multigun match have that may come as a surprise to someone used to outlaw matches? Besides minor/major scoring. I'll be shooting tac ops or whatever the equivalent to that is.

Last year the only difference seemed to be 8 plus one in the shotgun at all times. No extra shells after the beep. Of course major and minor for rifle and pistol. And also a hit factor score, not time plus.

Jim M.

What kind of rules does a USPSA multigun match have that may come as a surprise to someone used to outlaw matches? Besides minor/major scoring. I'll be shooting tac ops or whatever the equivalent to that is.

Not much: http://www.uspsa.org/rules/2011_Multigun_Rules%2012_15_2010.pdf

If they use Time-Plus, there is no major minor scoring even. USPSA requires WSBs, so you can read it, big plus IMHO.

WSB?

Do you have to plug the shotgun or just ensure you don't overload to avoid penalty?

Sorry, WSB=Written Stage Breifing. If it is not written down, it does not exist. No intent or any of that jazz.

No plug required, but would be a good idea to avoid Open.

It has been scored hit factor just like a pistol match in the past. I'm still not sure how the major/minor works for 3 different guns for scoring software purposes but Bruce and the gang get it done.

I learned the answer to this one at a USPSA 3-Gun recently. If they are doing paper scoresheets (instead of Palm Pilot) for a mixed power shooter, they enter as major, then assign 1 penalty point per Brave/Charlie/Delta on each minor power target. So you'll end up seeing scores with a number of weird looking (that is, not multiple of 10) penalties.

It's called San Angelo method scoring.

It has been scored hit factor just like a pistol match in the past. I'm still not sure how the major/minor works for 3 different guns for scoring software purposes but Bruce and the gang get it done.

I learned the answer to this one at a USPSA 3-Gun recently. If they are doing paper scoresheets (instead of Palm Pilot) for a mixed power shooter, they enter as major, then assign 1 penalty point per Brave/Charlie/Delta on each minor power target. So you'll end up seeing scores with a number of weird looking (that is, not multiple of 10) penalties.

It's called San Angelo method scoring.

That's exactly what they do. It's confusing as heck at first cause your thinking to yourself, I don't remember hitting any no shoots or mikes.

So is a Minor B worth one penalty point and a minor C worth two penalty points and a D worth three penalty points?

Yep I gotta keep an extra shotgun tube extension just cause USPSA has gahey rules! Ain't no plug going in my tube.

Like I keep saying, let your AD know what you do and do not like (and why). I have and they DO listen. It would not surprise me at all if new USPSA MG rules come out in 2012. If you don't offer your input, it is kind of like not voting in an election.

Answer a few questions above.

SHOTGUN CAPACITY: USPSA rules, Limited and Tactical shotgun, load limit is 8+1. Open Class is 10+1. The RO's will keep count of your shots between re-load. If you go BANG more than 9 times without a reload, you get put into Open Class for the entire match. A plug in the tube is not required, just be careful when loading if you have more than 8+1 capacity. Personally, if I had a tube that held more than 8, I'd plug it to be on the safe side. In the heat of the battle, I don't want to slow down and count re-loads.

SCORING: The good news from USPSA. The scoring program has finally been adjusted to eliminate the San Angelo Method, where you assigned penalty points for minor rifle and handgun. Scoring under the San Angelo Method was a necessity for several years, but was honestly a PITA for the stats team. Also made your scores look strange, with all those penalties for minor, especially rifle, since .223 is always minor (mostly). With the new scoring program, we will enter your rifle or handgun as major or minor. Shotgun is always scored major. The score sheets will designate handgun or rifle targets, and the program will know whether to score them major or minor for each shooter. Eliminates the phantom penalty on the scores. Also much easier on the stats team. A well needed, and well appreciated, improvement by USPSA.

NOTE ABOUT HANDGUN CAPACITY: Especially new Multi gun shooters. Remember that Production and Limited 10 Classes are not recognized in Multi gun matches. That means that, even if you are shooting your 9mm, load that 140 mm mag to the hilt. Power factor and caliber are taken into consideration, but not mag capacity, so stack it up till it won't take no more.

STAGES: NROI staff required a little tweaking to the stages. We hope to get that finished and approved before the National Handgun Match starts in a couple weeks, because all the staff will be busy with that program. Stages will be posted here, and emailed to all entered shooters, when they are approved.

We are about at the halfway point in entries, so get yours in soon to reserve a place. Heavy Metal is still short, so if you want to shoot HM in a recognized Division, get your entry in soon. If we don't get enough HM to recognize the Division, we'll let all registered shooters know in enough time to change to another Division.

Let us know, either here or at contact info posted earlier, if you have any more questions.

Bruce