Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

any headstamps you would avoid in 9 major

rupture

I've always like Win the best with Fed a close second. One of the guys on here, Foxbat, was talking one time about several case ruptures/separations with Win brass but still it seems that Win is the most popular brass. All the top manufacturers have there own merits so you should be fine with any of them but for 9Major, go with new or once fired brass and make sure all of them are in good condition before reloading/shooting.

My pref is for Fed, followed by Win. Dito on tossing Amerc...

As an aside many folks have no issues with running mix and match head stamps, but I prefer to stick to single headstamp. Bob Londrigan did an article for front sight on the subject of brass (http://www.brazoscustom.com/magart/0805.htm)it makes for interesting reading.

I also use whatever I can find for daily practice, for matches it is WIN or Fed. Watch out for steel cased S&B, it has copper color, but sticks to a magnet. Usually you can tell it right away on sizer station - the effort is about double of the usual brass.

I also found that some batches of Geco brass seem to be too weak - there is huge bulge after firing, and when I cut one I saw the bottom separating from the walls around the button. I have not seen any ruptures with it, but I am mindful of that brass.

I toss any brass with NT stamped on it. Hard to seat primers.

NT brass has smaller primer pocket (on purpose), so, it's just not meant for standard SPPs. I toss NT brass as well.

Seating a SPP in NT brass is like crumming a tennis ball into (stock) Honda exhaust pipe :D :D :D

WIN brass is prolly the best all-around, as far as 'load-ability', strength and longevity goes.

• 2 weeks later...