Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 sti 9mm mag questions

Blurryvisions

so i have just ordered a 9mm steel gun built on a 2011 sti frame and slide, and i am worried about magazine problems, do you guys have any thoughts on the matter as far as what mags and mag components to go with??? thanks for the help in advance

so i have just ordered a 9mm steel gun built on a 2011 sti frame and slide, and i am worried about magazine problems, do you guys have any thoughts on the matter as far as what mags and mag components to go with??? thanks for the help in advance

I have no problems with the STI mags with the spacers in my eagle still using the stock followers

Edited by kellymc

It's nice to have some good tuned mags, especially if they are STI mags with 9mm. They require a spacer (try to get the steel spacers) so you don't have feeding problems. I've heard of guys running without them but I would not take a chance on it. Best bet is keep looking around for some SV mags, they don't require spacers and I use them in my Steel 9mm and 9Major guns without any issues at all. You might be able to get some new SV mags that work but you will have to work on the mag catch from what I read. Also, some new SV mags will not drop free from STI grips so that may be another issue to worry about.

I have shot many thousands of rounds through STI mags with no spacers, without single problem. I use them in practice, and every week at our indoors match, as I don't want to drop the SVI mags on concrete... so the STI's are working as sacrificial mags, but they are refusing to die and keep feeding 100%. I kept them when I switched from 38SC to 9mm.

I have 6 mags for my 9mm sti. 5 have spacers and work perfect, the last one does not have the spacer and it does not work when it is full. The first 5-7 rounds nose dive. I'll be getting a spacer from arredondo.

I have 2 tuned mags, and 3 untuned, 4 of them run metal spacers from shooters connection. When I first used spacers I bought the Arrendondo plastic ones, those caused me to have FTF due to the bullet "dragging" on the plastic in a few mags. (untuned ones) the 5th mag is a 126mm with no spacer and runs just fine, but it never gets loaded past 15.

Both tuned ones will do a 23+1 start, rest are 22 reloadable minus the 126mm. 3 of them are running Grams followers and springs. One mag is grams rest are Dawsons basepad.

Edited by DocMedic

I am in the same boat as you and I ended up ordering a set of tuned mags from Bevens grams. He guarantees them. I figured that if I was spending the change on the gun that I shouldn't scrimp on the mags. That being said, I do have 4 of the older sv mags and two big sticks (STI) that run 100% with no spacers.

Gramms Follewer/Spring sets with JL Hardy steel spacers from shooters connection.

You may need to file/bevel the two legs of the "U" at the top of the steel spacers to fit at the top of the mags.

I use the 170 length springs uncut because for the 140's I prefer reliability over maximum mag capacity.

Running 21-22 in the 140's.

Running 28 in one big stick and 29 in one with and SNL basepad that was sanded to fit the gauge.

Robert Adams

L2723

I think its more of a gun issue than a mag issue. I have 7 STI mags and 6 SV and all run fine in the 3 9mm guns I have. No spacers and a wide range of followers and springs

I think its more of a gun issue than a mag issue. I have 7 STI mags and 6 SV and all run fine in the 3 9mm guns I have. No spacers and a wide range of followers and springs

The SV I agree with, the shape of the mag is the key. On the STI I think it has a lot to do the the OAL, I can run with our without spaces but I load 1.165 or Longer.

The SPS Mag, nope, it won't even run 38 Super without a lot of tuning.

Followers, I run the STI follower in 140 mm sti mags with no base pad. If I need capacity that is what the 170 mm are for, I run Grams follwoers and Dawson SNL pads for 28 reloadable and 29 cram it in. I have an SV same guts holds 30.

Now I'm thinking I shouldn't put a spacer in my new STI mag. I already have the steel spacer and have the Grams follower for the 170 but now wondering if I will need to install it. I usually load out to 1.165 - 1.170 OAL. When I put rounds in the mag and try to feed them out by hand, they nose-dive like crazy, especially the first 5-8 rounds. After that, it seems better. I hope to go to the range next week and test it out, if I can find the time :)

Now I'm thinking I shouldn't put a spacer in my new STI mag. I already have the steel spacer and have the Grams follower for the 170 but now wondering if I will need to install it. I usually load out to 1.165 - 1.170 OAL. When I put rounds in the mag and try to feed them out by hand, they nose-dive like crazy, especially the first 5-8 rounds. After that, it seems better. I hope to go to the range next week and test it out, if I can find the time :)

If it nose dives its going to need the spacer. Or should I say if it don't work manual it won't work auto. This could be partialy because it is new and the under side of the lips are rough, however try it with the spacer if it feeds manual then you are way ahead. After they are used a bit the spring takes a set and they feed a bit better.