Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New DAA mag pouches

rupture

I don't think any stores stateside have them yet. Last I heard was early June from CED. They seem pretty slick though.

SSI has them on their website individually and in three and four packs.

It also says "out of stock", probably don't have them yet

Correction they do have them in stock

Edited by rupture

I don't think any stores stateside have them yet. Last I heard was early June from CED. They seem pretty slick though.

SSI has them on their website individually and in three and four packs.

It also says "out of stock", probably don't have them yet

Correction they do have them in stock

Ordered Tuesday last and I just rec'd my 4-pack today from SSI. BOOYAH! :cheers:

ETA: just opened one and it's PURTY :goof:

Edited by lumpygravy

• 2 weeks later...

I just got one in. I only ordered one since I had a bad experience with the last DAA mag pouch. I am sure most of you know about them.

Well, so far, I'm glad to say this new Racemaster version is much better than the last ones. It's smooth, adjustment is nice and guess what...it says in place without locktite :)

I'll post some more pics later, just trying to get it adjusted more and get it on my belt a little better.

I mounted mine on the belt and tried them this past weekend.

Ditto on gng4life's comments: they mount solidly and the release is slick. They're well made, very secure yet very adjustable, ambi for those who need ambi and can be mounted at 90 degrees to the belt. Coming from Safariland 771's, I'm not used to the metal-on-metal feel of the release - but that's neither here nor there.

What I don't like is the "sharp" edge at the front of the opening. This is the edge that meets the front edge of the magazine. When inserting a mag, the front of the mag catches on this edge. A radius or a beveled edge would have been better.

Also, for $60 USD, I think a spacer for single stack mags would have been a nice. Their plastic ones don't come with one but those are just a little over half the cost.

I like them, but I think I'm going to have to hack on 'em a little. :roflol:

I mounted mine on the belt and tried them this past weekend.

Ditto on gng4life's comments: they mount solidly and the release is slick. They're well made, very secure yet very adjustable, ambi for those who need ambi and can be mounted at 90 degrees to the belt. Coming from Safariland 771's, I'm not used to the metal-on-metal feel of the release - but that's neither here nor there.

What I don't like is the "sharp" edge at the front of the opening. This is the edge that meets the front edge of the magazine. When inserting a mag, the front of the mag catches on this edge. A radius or a beveled edge would have been better.

Also, for $60 USD, I think a spacer for single stack mags would have been a nice. Their plastic ones don't come with one but those are just a little over half the cost.

I like them, but I think I'm going to have to hack on 'em a little. :roflol:

I totally agree with you on the front edge, it's a little annoying. Yeah, for that price, it should be more universal with the spacers.

I can't believe how smooth the mag sliding in and out is with these aluminum pouches. Liking it so far but still undecided if I will get more...

I'm very fortunate to say that I shoot for Saul and Eli.

I would like to share my experience with you about DAA products and how much I prefer them.

They are great guys who make an excellent product. My friends who purchase their line of products love the durability, flexibility, and value that DAA products can offer a shooter. Also DAA's customer service is excellent. My friends deal have dealt with Saul and Eli directly and they are just awesome!

They sent me the magazine pouches last month or so and I have been testing them ever since. In my opinion they are worlds above their previous mag pouch and surpass all of the competition. What I like about these pouches is that they are durable and can take a repetitive beating. The aluminum construction is strong and sturdy.

I prefer to have my magazines oriented 90 degrees when any of my mags sit below my mid line, for me it feels more natural for my hand position. My hand literally falls directly onto the magazine when situated in that manner.

The adjustable tension wheel is really cool, I prefer that for stages where I'll be standing and want my reloads to be even more effortless. Then on a stage that involves movement I simply will tighten them back up again. To me the design is beautiful.

Chuck has them for $53.73 per pouch. I personally think that if you are buying a rig and need new pouches that these ones will be great for your mags and will last you a long time. That backed with Saul and Eli's customer service to me is a great combination.

Thanks for letting me share,

Robby

Edited by PINMAN44

bought a set of 3 and used them for first time sunday and all i can say is that i didn't notice them at all... (which translates to they are GREAT since they work seamlessly!)

:cheers:

Hi guys,

thanks for the early comments on our new pouches. As you may imagine, I am far from objective when speaking about this pouch, having spent 6 months developing it, and bringing it to market. And I do think the result is pretty slick...

The pressure from the back, rather then side to side really make the difference and makes the release so much smoother. the Aluminum structure make it firmer, and allowing it to lock up in any position - and I do mean LOCKED. you will not get these to budge! A lot of attention was given to this - the ball joint connection point is machined to fit INTO the side wall of the pouch, so that even if the center screw is allowed to become loose - the pouch still cannot spin... those who have one - give that a try - loosen the centre screw - and you will see it still cannot turn.

I read the comment that the single stack spacer should have been included. please allow me a response: yes, this is an expensive pouch. no arguing that. But are you aware that every one of the pieces use (except the inner spacers) are machined aluminum parts! The pouch body is in fact machined from all 6 sides! Each one! To make one of these pouches costs probably more than 4 or 5 times than the cost of one plastic pouch - and even at $60, the margins for all involved, from DAA through the distribution network is actually very tight. Adding another spacer, which only perhaps 5% of our customers would use, did not seem like a good idea, while we were desperately trying to reduce production costs...

Some suggested the pouch should have been cut open in the front, like the CR.... I tried that, and decided against it. cutting a lower window there is totally unnecessary, as the radios in the part makes for a smooth transition from the mag tube to the side of the pouch - nice and easy to slide your index finger down as you draw the mag... a cut down would create a ledge, which your finger would hit every time. believe me, I tried it. Also - cutting it open in the front would weaken the structure of the pouch body allot, making it more prone to damage when going prone, or hitting a barricade. Yes, the insertion of the mag is not as smooth as one might hope - but once you get used to inserting it in the correct angle it is no longer a problem. Also - keep in mind that the purpose of a pouch is to efficiently draw OUT the mag not place it in....

Anyway, keep your comments coming, and us know what you think.

Good shooting everyone,

Saul

Great product. I radiused mine at the edges to take the sharpness off. I think having a spare parts kit for this would be a great addition. I had pulled the retention plastic bit and spring slide up a couple of times.

Great product. I radiused mine at the edges to take the sharpness off. I think having a spare parts kit for this would be a great addition. I had pulled the retention plastic bit and spring slide up a couple of times.

What does it look like after you took off the edge? Did you have to cover it or re-finish it?

Hi guys,

thanks for the early comments on our new pouches. As you may imagine, I am far from objective when speaking about this pouch, having spent 6 months developing it, and bringing it to market. And I do think the result is pretty slick...

The pressure from the back, rather then side to side really make the difference and makes the release so much smoother. the Aluminum structure make it firmer, and allowing it to lock up in any position - and I do mean LOCKED. you will not get these to budge! A lot of attention was given to this - the ball joint connection point is machined to fit INTO the side wall of the pouch, so that even if the center screw is allowed to become loose - the pouch still cannot spin... those who have one - give that a try - loosen the centre screw - and you will see it still cannot turn.

I read the comment that the single stack spacer should have been included. please allow me a response: yes, this is an expensive pouch. no arguing that. But are you aware that every one of the pieces use (except the inner spacers) are machined aluminum parts! The pouch body is in fact machined from all 6 sides! Each one! To make one of these pouches costs probably more than 4 or 5 times than the cost of one plastic pouch - and even at $60, the margins for all involved, from DAA through the distribution network is actually very tight. Adding another spacer, which only perhaps 5% of our customers would use, did not seem like a good idea, while we were desperately trying to reduce production costs...

Some suggested the pouch should have been cut open in the front, like the CR.... I tried that, and decided against it. cutting a lower window there is totally unnecessary, as the radios in the part makes for a smooth transition from the mag tube to the side of the pouch - nice and easy to slide your index finger down as you draw the mag... a cut down would create a ledge, which your finger would hit every time. believe me, I tried it. Also - cutting it open in the front would weaken the structure of the pouch body allot, making it more prone to damage when going prone, or hitting a barricade. Yes, the insertion of the mag is not as smooth as one might hope - but once you get used to inserting it in the correct angle it is no longer a problem. Also - keep in mind that the purpose of a pouch is to efficiently draw OUT the mag not place it in....

Anyway, keep your comments coming, and us know what you think.

Good shooting everyone,

Saul

Thanks for the lengthy explanation Saul. I can really attest to the great customer service with DAA products also. There's been a few times I had to contact you and your shop for help and I have always walked away happy. That's why my holster, belt and now my Racemaster mag pouch are part of my rig. I want to test it more but if all goes well, I will be selling my CRSpeed mag pouches and going all RM and DAA.

Also, good info on the insert, I never imagined it was that involved.

Edited by gng4life

Hi Saul,

If I may take excerpts from your response:

That was my comment and though I may disagree from a customer's point of view, your reasoning is sound and this is in fact, a product for sale where the intent is to make (some) money.

and

... Yes, the insertion of the mag is not as smooth as one might hope - but once you get used to inserting it in the correct angle it is no longer a problem. Also - keep in mind that the purpose of a pouch is to efficiently draw OUT the mag not place it in....

Unless a stage prescribes that all mags start out of the pouch at the start i.e. table start with mag retrieval. I think that, though the majority of the time mags start in the pouch, the insertion of the mag into the pouch should be nearly as easy if not equally easy.

For me, I think the cause of the hangup is that the spring pressure on the plastic plate must be overcome (granted it does not require a lot to do so) in order to insert the mag into the pouch. Currently, the pouch has an outward facing bevel at the front edge where it meets the front of a magazine. I plan to change this to an inward facing bevel creating something of a "funnel" so that I don't have the press down on the mag to overcome the spring under the plastic plate as I insert it into the pouch.

Comments aside, I'd like to thank you for being such a responsive vendor. In my experience, it is uncommon for regular customers to be able to conduct a dialog of any true value or meaning directly with a product vendor.

Cheers! :cheers:

Yes, but on those rare stages where you have to insert the mag into the pouch - well - that's what the magnetic pouches are for! you can snap on the mag quick as you like - way faster than you can insert it into any pouch... that is what I have always used. never ever plan to have to insert a mag into a pouch at speed. Just use a magnet for that.

thanks for your comments on our communications - we do our best. We are part of the shooting sports - all of us active shooters, so it is easy to stay in touch that way. feel free to email me if you need any additional info

Saul

Saul has excellent customer service and I guarantee you all that he has tried many of the ways to make the pouches as some have mentioned. Saul's design however, allows for maximum strength and integrity. These pouches are run 6 times on a 3 axis CNC machine and they are very well constructed. I will have videos very shortly on the new line of DAA products.

The rock solid design and unlimited flexibility of these magazine pouches offers a shooter piece of mind and the ability to have options.

Thank you,

Robby

Randy,

there is no need for a bracket on the RM pouches. the assembly is so strong and rigid to the base that it is now possible to assemble the magnet directly to the body of the pouch.

there is a 4mm hole in the front lower edge of the pouch - which is there to allow access to the hex key if you assemble at 90 degrees. however this hole also doubles as a mounting point for a magnet.

the easiest thing to do is to thread it M5, then use a 12mm M5 screw to mount one of our super strong magnets directly to the pouch.

Starting next week we will offer the pouch already fitted with a magnet, in additional to offering just the screw and magnet for those who already have the pouch and want to just add the magnet.

Saul

I picked up one of these and am very impressed with them. Very uniform and light release. More expensive than the plastic alternatives but you can see why. Very innovative tensioning system that works well. If it proves reliable, and I have no reason to suspect it won't, these will be the bomb! Just a thought Saul but how about either threading the hole even on the "regular" pouches so the magnet can be added at a later date or sell the magnet with a self-tapping M5 screw?

Anybody using these on a CR Speed belt. I got mine but have not had much time to play with them. I tried mounting one to my belt and it does not fit without really bending the belt to get it on. Is the CR belt a little wider than a DAA belt? These are not belt specific are they? Other than the belt fit thing they look like a really well thought out product. Much nicer than the original ones.

Tom

It fit fine on my CR Speed. Be sure to take the backs all the way off, or at least take the top screws all the way out, slide the pouch on and then refasten the top screws. Don't just try to slide them on like versa pouches.

Neomet,

actually, we will in the future tap all the pouches, so a magnet can be added any time. but for now, that has not been done. it is pretty easy to thread an M5 hole anyway... and we do offer now the magnet alone, with a suitable M5 12mm screw, which is perfect for mounting it onto that hole.

thanks for your comments and feedback,

Saul

I received 3 black ones during the week from Mike @ Shooters Connection and used them yesterday for the first time. Very impressed with the functionality of the design. Great range of articulation, super slick release, and very sturdy. :cheers:

The only bad thing I can say about them is that they scratch up super easily. I'm kind've a neat freak with my equipment and the scratches bugged me a bit....... :angry2:

All in all, great product..

Matt