Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

8-shot Model 28-2 Conversion

jaded in cali

After several years in IDPA, I got bit last weekend by the ICORE bug. My old Model 19 4 inch does fine for IDPA, but I need a competitive ICORE gun.

I have a Model 28-2 6" Highway Patrolman I picked up several years ago for a very reasonable price. Is it possible to convert this to an 8-shot moon-clip gun in 357/38 special? I can get an 8-hole cylinder assembly from Gun Parts, which would need to be machined for moon clips. Obviously, the hand, timing, barrel gap, end shake, etc. would need to be adjusted.

But before I go forward with a gunsmith, is this in fact possible at all??

Any other suggestions, recommendations, etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks

--j

It is possible to make the conversion, in that the parts would fit together, but it would be a bad idea. The reason is because the bolt circle of the chambers on the 8 shot cylinder is about .060 bigger than the bolt circle of all other N frames. What that means is the chambers and barrel will be offset by about .030 vertically. If you put a cartridge in the chamber and fired it, the bullet would not be able to make the transition from chamber to barrel, most likely blowing up the gun on the first shot. The 627 frames have the firing pin and barrel raised up to match the cylinder.

I asked this question a few years ago. Seems Baumin did a few back in the '80's and he had to offset the barrel as Warren insinuated. Would be prohibitively expensive vs a 627.

It seems there is a place, in Florida I think, that will make cylinders to spec. Don't know if it oculd work to have one made in .38 Special and then trim an extractor star to fit? Even if it could be worked out it would probably still be too expensive compared to any of the 627's available in either .38 super or .357 magnum.

Heck if you're going to use it for ICORE get a 327.

One thing to remember about ICORE, the courses are supposed to be 6 round neutral. But those 2 extra shots still will allow you to pick up a missed steel or, god forbid, a "C"!

I asked this question a few years ago. Seems Baumin did a few back in the '80's and he had to offset the barrel as Warren insinuated.

John Baumann made the 7-shot conversion cylinders for 27s and 28s back in the early '90s. I was writing articles for gun magazines at the time, and was sent one of the very first Baumannize guns to shoot and review. I remember shooting one at the old Midwest Pin Blasters match at Mill Creek back in the early '90s, and finished second or third overall. Team S&W members Jerry Miculek and Brian Enos also had Baumannize guns early on, which they used mostly for pin shooting.

The Baumannize guns did not employ any changes to the frame--you could freely switch the 7-shot Baumannize cylinders and the stock 6-stock cylinders back and forth and both would function fine.

Once Baumann proved you could have 7 rounds of .357 in an N-frame, it was only a matter of time before people started to try to squeeze in 8! I believe RPM did the first 8-shot custom N-frames, and before too long the factory introduced the 8-shot 627s, initially through a couple of limited runs through Lew Horton. This eventually led to the 627s that we know and love today.

All this makes sense. I think I'll just have the cylinder cut for moon clips and stick with six. Just have to make the shots count!

Thanks for the responses!

Any suggestions on grips? The gun came with the black rubber Pachmayr grips the CHP used however many years ago.

--j

Edited by jaded in cali

Charlie Prest started making the 8-shots on Model 28s years ago. They worked real well but were expensive. It'e much cheaper to buy a 627 now and have what you want ten to build from scratch.

ViC Mayren started making his 8 shots on Astra revolvers. Real big frames. He even managed to make a feew 9 shots .But he's not making any more.

I have a Model 28-2 that was converted to an 8-shooter by Charlie Prest back in the mid 90s. It is chambered for .38 Super for faster reloads. The conversion involved a new cylinder and barrel and was very expensive . Charlie never really finished mine but shipped it anyway. That was a lucky break for me cuz he soon rode off into the sunset with people's money and guns. Shortly thereafter S&W started producing 627 8-shot revos. These are far less expensive than conversions.

BOB

A16841

Edited by S&WIowegan

• 1 month later...

I can shed a little light on the RPM 8-shot conversion.

I had my model 29-3 converted by Charlie Prest in 1996. The conversion cost about $1800. The 8 shot conversion consisted of a new 8 shot .38super cylinder, custom extractor, custom offset firing pin bushing, custom off set barrel bushing(Nframe to Lframe), 6" slab barrel with compensator cut in the barrel, custom underlug, 6 moon clips and custom action job.

In full dress with an Optima 2000 sight and Miculek grip the gun weighs in at 49oz. The gun feels a little nose heavy but I am used to it.

The conversion took 1.5 years but I was fortunate and received a completed gun. The workmanship was excellent. The end shake was .002" and the headspacing was .006". The action job was so-so. The trigger pull was 8.5lbs with a hammer tension of about 45oz. The cylinder timing was spot on.

I have since tuned the action to a silky smooth and reliable 6lb pull.

The moon clips I received with the gun were also so - so. I have since replaced those clips with some from Hearthco. Those clips were the BEST investment I could have made as far as extraction reliability.

The gun has served me well and has been nothing but reliable for the 8 years I shot it in ICORE competition. My claim to fame was a 14th place finish in the 1997 IRC.

In my case I was already committed to Charlie so I could not have waited and bought a smith and wesson 8 shot. I have since purchased a S&W Model 627 -3 for limited use.

Good Health and Good Shooting,

Renny

ICORE CA8490

• 6 years later...
On 5/30/2011 at 5:15 PM, S&WIowegan said:

I have a Model 28-2 that was converted to an 8-shooter by Charlie Prest back in the mid 90s. It is chambered for .38 Super for faster reloads. The conversion involved a new cylinder and barrel and was very expensive . Charlie never really finished mine but shipped it anyway. That was a lucky break for me cuz he soon rode off into the sunset with people's money and guns. Shortly thereafter S&W started producing 627 8-shot revos. These are far less expensive than conversions.

BOB

A16841

I would like to correct you there. Charlie didn't ride off into the sunset with people's money or guns he never finished. The situation was that he was working out of someone else's shop and that shop owner ended up doing a bunch of work under Charles Prest's name and shipping out not only unfinished guns but guns that he screwed up. After that happened, Charlie ripped him a new one as he knew that he didn't finish certain jobs but yet some how they were shipped out. Shortly after Charlie chewed into him, the owner took the car he gave to Charlie for working for him, soiled his reputation, and kicked him out of his shop. Charlie tried to sue the shop owner to no avail. Defeated, tired, and penniless, Charlie retired into obscurity. I assure you, he never wanted anyone to be displeased with his work. Charlie would have never allowed a job to leave his shop without it being perfect. How do you think he was able to charge such "expensive prices" if he was a hack who would ship out firearms without them being top notch? Before you ask how I know all this, it's because I had to watch my farther's hard work be destroyed from trusting the aforementioned shop owner. I wish the story was more romantic, that my dad somehow left the gun world before he got screwed over or maybe I would have been able to take over his shop. But, life is what it is and I'm sorry you weren't taken care of. I assure you, my dad never would have a been OK with you getting a gun back that wasn't well beyond your expectations. If nothing less I hope this reply gives you a little solace in knowing that the gunsmith you've probably been cursing for the last 20 years had little more to do with you getting back a partially finished gun, passed the fact that he trusted the wrong person and it cost him his existence. Good luck to you and God bless.  

Eddie Prest

I have a revolver that Charlie did his magic on and during the whole process communication was nothing but professional and I still own that revolver today. My only gripe is that I didn’t have the money at the time for Charlie to build me an 8 shot. He also worked on a 10mm Delta Elite for me and I still own that one also. 

Charlie was ahead of the times on the work and the revolvers he built. It was a sad day when Charlie left the gunsmithing world.

Dean Gomez