Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What to do with "old" ipsc comp'd singlestacks?

You have one? Want to sell it? Who made it? How much?

I have two and have sold 5 others. Wish I still had all of them... Got a dual port comped, full profile Commander and the same thing in a full size Govt Mod.

Bowling Pins (.45) and Steel Challenge (.38 Super) are two places old single stacks can still play with the big boys, especially if the've got scopes. Seems like everybody hereabouts with a super moved the top end to a STI frame though.

And you can always hit the closest USPSA match and kick it "Old School." If I had a comped .45, I would not hesitate to shoot it in Open at matches, at least as a reshoot on the classifier!

At risk of my life ... I still think Open 10 is a really good idea. If we ever add another division, it should be Open 10. That would give a place for all of the old single stack race guns to shoot, and a place for guys with tired eyes to just slap a dot on their Limited 10 guns to shoot. But we've heard all of the arguments pro and con ... so I'll be quiet now. :rolleyes:

Actually, .38 Super is the most popular caliber in IDPA's ESP division these days, primarily because so many folks with old singlestack compguns that have been languishing in the safe for years saw the opportunity to whack off the comp, load the ammo down, and have a kickass ESP gun. (Okay, it's a bit more complicated than that, but not much.)

And you can always hit the closest USPSA match and kick it "Old School." If I had a comped .45, I would not hesitate to shoot it in Open at matches, at least as a reshoot on the classifier!

At risk of my life ... I still think Open 10 is a really good idea. If we ever add another division, it should be Open 10. That would give a place for all of the old single stack race guns to shoot, and a place for guys with tired eyes to just slap a dot on their Limited 10 guns to shoot. But we've heard all of the arguments pro and con ... so I'll be quiet now. :rolleyes:

Heck, I'd think Open 10 would be an awesome idea!

Actually, .38 Super is the most popular caliber in IDPA's ESP division these days, primarily because so many folks with old singlestack compguns that have been languishing in the safe for years saw the opportunity to whack off the comp, load the ammo down, and have a kickass ESP gun. (Okay, it's a bit more complicated than that, but not much.)

Are you sure about that? I keep hearing about the "mounds of single-stack raceguns rusting away in safes", but the number I've seen in person, chopped or not, at a steel match, IDPA match, pin match or anywhere else they'd be competitive is less than a handful.

I see 'em occasionally turn up at the gun store (in .45 ACP usually) and occasionally people seem to buy them, but I'm not convinced there is a huge (or any) pent-up demand of single-stack owners wanting a place to play.. especially as for $350 or so, they can turn it into a competitive hi-cap, and any lightening cuts or sight-removals would require a new slide anyway.

shred you are probably right about the demand. If there was such a demand, someone would be putting on matches that featured them, I guess.

My commend stemmed more from the beauty of some that I have seen, than anything else. Course, I was old school even when I was a kid :huh:

Tightloop---no sir, that was not me.

My background in guns comes more from the hunting side of things, and have been many places doing that, enjoyed them all. Now my hunting is limited to mainly following a Class A bird-dog named Betsy with a SxS, and a few deer here and there.

The appreciation for the old comp'd iron-sighted pistolas comes from owning them and shooting with friends and just really enjoying .45's / .38 Supers of the type built by Austin Behlert, Paul Liebenberg, and that whole generation of 60's-70's pistolsmithing. Some real artistry.

You can always put a regular barrel in them and have a nice L10 gun :)

Only problem there is that the cone style comps require a 1 degree cut to the face of the slide so there'll be a slight gap between the bushing & slide. Not a big deal from functional standpoint. Just cosmetic.

Hey, I'm not dissin' 'em.. I think they're retro-cool in a 60's muscle-car sorta way since they were the latest & greatest when I started shooting IPSC. I'm just wondering how many of them there are left.

My Colt single stack started its life as a (then) state of the art comped .45 race gun, many years before it fell into my hands. When the .38 supers and then the widebodies took over, it got standard barrel and bushing fitted to it and it was reborn as a Limited gun. It accompanied that owner from newbie to A class Limited, then took me from D to C in Limited, and from zero to C in Limited 10.

It had over 200K rounds through it before I got it, and was still shooting really well at the time. It started showing its age last year with some minor reliability problems, so it's in the shop with the guy who built it for a tuneup.

Curiously, the barrel with the compensator landed in the hands of someone else I know (we have the same parents), so someday I may be able to reunite the two and kick it Old School in Open again! The Wichita rear sight rocks!