Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is anyone using Berrys for .40 major

GuyC

I don't see many people talking about using Berrys for 40 major or for 9 minor for that matter. Why not? They seem to be a good product and are much cheeper. I know they are plated and not FMJs. I guess what I am asking is why spend more on the FMJs.

I shoot molly because of how much cheaper it is than copper..

I curious to see other's impresions of berry's, Reinern's, performance is over non platted copper jacket too..

And platted vs mollies..

Cheers,

Los

the short version of my very own personal experience with them is that the .40 cal bullets will measure 0.399"....

and 0.400".....

and 0.401"

which results in fliers about 8 inches from the main group at 15 yards.

not to turn this into a classifieds thread, but i'd be more than happy to sell them to you.

I'm not sure where you are seeing them as "much cheaper" than jacketed bullets but I have not found that during my search for the cheapest bullet. Yes, PV is the best place to buy them if you buy them but in most instances, they are not much cheaper. The only situation I came across where they were much cheaper is in the super light 9mm bullets. I was comparing MG 95gr JHP and the Berry 100gr HBRN. My cheapest source for 4500 MGs was $361 and I could get them from PV (with shipping) for about $315. With that $46, I could buy a half of a jug of powder or couple boxes of primers but that's it. In all the other weights and calibers, the difference was less than $10-15 in every instance and sometimes, the MG or Zero turned out cheaper (in quantity).

If you are a low-volume shooter or just want the ability to buy in small quantities and just something that is for plinking or practice, they are not too bad. I still have some that I use. However, I do not use them for anything serious due to group sizes are normally twice of what the MG or Zero bullets can do. I started buying in bulk and haven't used many of the plated bullets anymore, just not worth it in my mind.

Good luck with whatever you decide...

I don't see many people talking about using Berrys for 40 major or for 9 minor for that matter. Why not? They seem to be a good product and are much cheeper. I know they are plated and not FMJs. I guess what I am asking is why spend more on the FMJs.

I've shot .40 major using Berry's bullets in my open and limited guns with no trouble whatsoever. I would buy them from Cabelas when they sent me an especially good coupon. Hope this helps.

I was really talking about Berrys VS montana Golds. I can get Berrys for $90 a 1000 and montana golds is $140 a 1000 so there is a 40-50 dollar difference in Berrys and MG. Zero bullets are closer to 105 so that would be a better buy, but were are they in stock.

I normally shoot Missouri bullets at $62 a 1000. Not reliable and extremely dirty, but you cannot beat the price.

Exactly, for low volume shooters or those who like to buy a little at a time, that is fine. If you look at PV for the Berry 155 @ 1000, it is 96.74 plus shipping. If you buy the MG 155 from Manny, it is $92.66 per thousand and that is shipping included. So in this instance, MG is a better bullet and cheaper (by about $20 here), how can you go wrong? You just have to buy at least 3000 in this scenario. It would be better to try to buy some in bulk and NEVER buy the 1000 pack from MG :)

MG is almost always in stock and I usually get them the same week that I order them, unlike Zero.

I ran Raniers for a while in .45 when shooting L10. You have to be REALLY careful to have proper bell and a light crimp. It's very easy to damage the copper "skin". I would get a lot of "wrinkling" and even some of the plate material peeling. For me, it caused accuracy issues when the plating would come apart. I never had any tumbling, but I would get some flyers. I did see other shooters have bullets tumble in .40 with Berry's.

I wasn't a very experienced reloader at the time so maybe technique and setup was my problem. But for me, the plating is too easy to damage.

Exactly, for low volume shooters or those who like to buy a little at a time, that is fine. If you look at PV for the Berry 155 @ 1000, it is 96.74 plus shipping. If you buy the MG 155 from Manny, it is $92.66 per thousand and that is shipping included. So in this instance, MG is a better bullet and cheaper (by about $20 here), how can you go wrong? You just have to buy at least 3000 in this scenario. It would be better to try to buy some in bulk and NEVER buy the 1000 pack from MG :)

MG is almost always in stock and I usually get them the same week that I order them, unlike Zero.

Can you give me a link, I couldent find them.

I use them in .40 major in a Glock 35, have for years. They are actually softer shooting and more accurate than the MG or Zero in my Bar-Sto barrel. However, for minor, the accuracy goes away. It seems that about 875 fps is the velocity I need for them to have good accuracy. I get them for less than MGs by about $10/1K.

Can you give me a link, I couldent find them.

The link for Powder Valley is http://powdervalleyinc.com and the link for Manny is http://mannyusa.com. I know Manny says you have to buy six cases but write or call him and he'll work out something with you. You can go directly to MG at http://montanagoldbullet.com but they will be a little higher. Again, don't look at the 1K bags, go for the cases - so much cheaper. Bullets are like toilet paper, you can never have enough of it and it never expires :)

I have had great luck with berry bullets for major 40, I use the 155 rnhb for USPSA, IDPA and 3-GUN. I have had success in different actions, glock, M&P, XD, 1911.

out of the 1911 I maintain a 3" group at 50yd. with some loads I get better groups out of montana gold bullets but the cost is better with berrys. you can also buy directly from berrys (berrysmfg.com)

good luck

Maverick Boss

I've made .40 major loads out of 5" 1911 and 2011 guns with berry's.

1.130 nominal OAL, 4.4gr of titegroup makes about 167 in my 2011 with AET barrel, and makes about 170 in my 1911 with STI barrel.

Accuracy was reasonable. I usually bought in 4k increments at the time, and what I got was the right size unlike some other people's experience.

Although I like plated bullets, it's not without some reservations. First, they are very often not cheaper than jacketed. Their price seems to fluctuate more than jacketed, and I don't know why (electricity costs maybe?). Also, I wouldn't bother trying to make major in anything less than a 5" barrel. In my experience, you cross that magic line of heat/pressure and you start to get the lead pinwheels on target that indicate you are compromising the plating. Often enough you get reduced accuracy that's not worth the price difference if any.

Pretty much my accuracy results ordered from best to worst.

precision moly coated lead (nice and accurate, but more than 3 shots form one spot on a humid day and you couldn't hit well what you couldn't see well)

rainier plated (liked the result, coating is very delicate and a bit of a PITA to work with, if you are compromising the plating while loading, accuracy can suffer severely)

MG JHP

precision delta FMJ

berry's plated/MG CMJ/zero FMJ

I just ordered a bunch of yet a third brand of plated to try out because I got a killer price on them. We'll see how they behave.

I used Berry's for a long time but gave up on them and switched to BBI. I found they were often undersized (.400", plated should be .401") which led to poor accuracy and setback.

I wish someone made a good plated bullet for halfway between the cost of moly and jacketed...