Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Basic 3-gun questions

Nimitz

So I'm thinking about trying my hand at 3-gun competitions ... I have some background with firearms (I've owned a Glock 19 for many years & even had a part-time job for 2 years doing personnel security which required me to pass the NM State Police 'Shoot Don't Shoot' course but I've never done any competition shooting.

In my initial research I've come across discussions about 'power factor' in scoring but I'm not sure I really understand it? If 9mm automatically puts you in the minor catagory why would anyone do that? But I still see lots of competitors who shoot 9mm? What am I missing here?

The minor and major power factor only come into play for USPSA 3-gun matches. Most major 3-Gun matches run under their own set of modified IMG rules. 9mm is the smallest round allowed and scored the same as any other in Tac, Limited, and Open so that is what most people use.

thanks, I was concerned that if I started to get really interested I'd quickly have to get something else besides a 9mm. Here's another 'dumb' noob question ... any reason most seem to use the full size Glocks like the Glock 35 vice the smaller ones like my Glock 19?

thanks, I was concerned that if I started to get really interested I'd quickly have to get something else besides a 9mm. Here's another 'dumb' noob question ... any reason most seem to use the full size Glocks like the Glock 35 vice the smaller ones like my Glock 19?

magazine capacity, more bullets, less reloading, equals faster times on a stage.

If you are in or near Albuquerque, there is a 3-gun match this Sunday, 5/22, at Zia Rifle and Pistol Club. I will be there. The club has a Facebook page, and the ziarifleandpistolclub.com website is operational.

The invitation is to observe and/or participate, at your option. We set up one stage and do two or three runs, depending on attendance and interest.

Edited by NMBOpen

but I've never done any competition shooting.

I would suggest you shoot a few action pistol matches first so you become familiar with gun handling and muzzle discipline while moving and shooting one gun before moving to on to three.

9mm is used because it is cheap, and if you're hitting all Alpha's (center mass), they score the same (in most places).

With minor power factor, the peripheral hits are worth less, but the gun has less recoil (smaller bullet, typically smaller powder load) so some competitors are able to fire faster.

The tactical/practical GLocks, G 34 and 35, and to an extent G24 and 17L offer a longer sight radius. The G34/35 also come with extended slidelock and mag release hardware (although it's easy enough to switch out).

+1 on trying USPSA first, then moving into the 3 gun arena..

"magazine capacity, more bullets, less reloading, equals faster times on a stage. "

not sure I understand this ... my Glock 19 has a 15 rd mag & I thought most pistol stages only allow 10 rds in the mag anyway ... ?

"Increased sight radius" valid point

"9mm is used because it is cheap, and if you're hitting all Alpha's (center mass), they score the same (in most places)." Great point, that was why I was hoping staying with 9mm was ok

"I would suggest you shoot a few action pistol matches first ..." I'm beginning to really like this suggestion. So, given that my eventual goal is to shoot 3-gun, would it make the most sense to shoot some IDPA matches or IPSC matches in the pistol discpline since I already own a Glock 19? For any rifle or shotgun IPSC competitions I'd have to borrow a firearm to compete ...

It is very good advice to try some action pistol (IDPA or USPSA) first. We had several shooters in our squad at a big 3 Gun match DQ'd because they didn't understand some of the rules regarding safe gun handling. It was their first ever match. Expensive mistake to make, not to mention potentially dangerous.

IDPA, USPSA Production and Limited 10 are the only games / divisions that would limit your Glock to 10 rounds in a pistol mag.

Most Multigun rules limit the magazine size to 140mm for most divisions - you can load as many rounds in a mag that size that you can.

Edited by prreed10

NMBOpen: Thanks for the invite but unfortunately I moved from Albuquerque & am now living in central Fl ...

Find a local match, observe and ask questions. There are varying procedures on what to do when transitioning between guns, but completely empty is always safe.

So, given that my eventual goal is to shoot 3-gun, would it make the most sense to shoot some IDPA matches or IPSC matches in the pistol discpline since I already own a Glock 19? For any rifle or shotgun IPSC competitions I'd have to borrow a firearm to compete ...

I would suggest USPSA matches because the stages are larger and give the shooter more ways to "solve the problem" which is what you will encounter in 3-gun.

The vast majority of competitors use a full size gun and in the case of Glocks they use the larger competition models (34 & 35) due to the longer sight radius. Your G19 will work fine when you are starting and I recommend you use it until you have a few matches under your belt. When you are at the range talk to other competitors and see what they are using. This will help you decide if you want to buy a different pistol.

In USPSA pistol shooting, Production Division would limit you to 10 rounds in the mag.

But for 3-Gun, you can run max capacity in your mags, with 140mm mags in Limited (1 red dot, and/or iron sights on rifle) or Tactical (1 magnified optic on rifle) Divison.

Your G19 would hold 15 rounds, while a G34 will hold 17 rounds.... or up to 22 rounds or so in an extended 140mm mag. You could of course just use the longer mags in your G19 if you want. But a full size gun like a G34 with longer sight radius, will for most people be a slight advantage over the G19.

Having said that, I would bring my AR, shotgun, and G19 with several mags for each, and come play. After you shoot a few matches, you will pick up the rules, and have a better idea of whether you want different equipment or not.

thanks for all the input. There's a local gun show here in July which may give me enough time to shoot a few matchs & see if I wanted to convert to 34 ... maybe I could even get a good deal on the last day of the show.

Can anyone tell me where I could find out what a fair price should be for my Glock 19 if I were to trade it to a dealer & buy a 34? The Glock is an older model (~15 yrs old), in good condition & has an after market rear laser sight ...

• 2 weeks later...

Come to the Central Florida Pistol Club cfrpcand shoot a match on one of the weekends. PM me when you are going, I usually bring extra mag holders and gear in case you need anything. Shoot what you have and get involved. Then let me know what you want for the 19 when your ready for the 34. I shoot a g34, maybe you can give it a try.

• 2 weeks later...

Most 3-Gun matches don't use power factors. From my experience, allot of shooters are moving to 9mm with hi-cap mags. So your Glock will be good to go until you find something you like better.

Your better off selling it than trading it in. If you do sell the sight and the gun apart as the sight won't be much of a selling point trading it in. Glock with the factory sights will trade in for about 300 bucks.

Remington4Life: I appreciate the offer ... I'll check out your Club's schedule and see when I can make a match ... I'm also trying to talk a buddy of mine into shooting some competitions as well.

I think the factory sight broke when wwe were removing it to install the laser sight so I may have to bring it to a shop to replace. I haven't found the sight all that useful. My wife wanted it since she was going to use the gun for home protection when I was away ... then of course she purchased a Taurus 410 and I'm left with a Glock with a laser sight I don't need ... lol ...

NMBOpen: Thanks for the invite but unfortunately I moved from Albuquerque & am now living in central Fl ...

Find a local match, observe and ask questions. There are varying procedures on what to do when transitioning between guns, but completely empty is always safe.

+1 Great advice!

Observing will answer many questions as well as generate many new ones but at least you have something tangible to base it on. You can get tons of advice here but it has limited value until you step away from the sidelines and apply it somehow; local clubs and matches will be full of folks willing to help you.

Good luck, and enjoy!!!