Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Balance!

Yesterday I was practicing 20 yard El Prez drills. My first few runs were fair at best. My times were ok, but my hits were not. Then, it dawned on me.... BALANCE. I did not feel stable, and this was affecting my accuracy. I then ensured that I started from a well balanced stance, or if I were turing prior to the draw, that I ended with a stable platform. Once I did so, it was magic. My hits were all good, and I felt like my transitions were effortless. Its a simple fundamental that gets overlooked.

Especially with a stock-type gun, for any shooting after the initial draw, being set behind the gun - before you fire the first shot - is key.

I remember learning that lesson long ago, after a practice session inspired from some crappy stages at the Golden Gate match. That match typically had multiple target scenarios where there would be 5 or 6 steel 10" plates at the same distance, but each plate would be on a different elevation. The targets would be like a bundle of ballons on a strings, and each balloon had a different length string.

I'd draw and shoot the first bundle just fine, then move into a second position and begin firing away at a second, similar bundle - and fire as many (or more) misses as I did hits.

So I went home and duplicated the stage. It didn't take long to figure out that I had to take a mental minute to get set behind the gun, after moving and before firing, which allowed the front sight to track right back into the rear notch, like it did from a stand-and-draw.

be

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Especially with a stock-type gun, for any shooting after the initial draw, being set behind the gun - before you fire the first shot - is key.

I remember learning that lesson long ago, after a practice session inspired from some crappy stages at the Golden Gate match. That match typically had multiple target scenarios where there would be 5 or 6 steel 10" plates at the same distance, but each plate would be on a different elevation. The targets would be like a bundle of ballons on a strings, and each balloon had a different length string.

I'd draw and shoot the first bundle just fine, then move into a second position and begin firing away at a second, similar bundle - and fire as many (or more) misses as I did hits.

So I went home and duplicated the stage. It didn't take long to figure out that I had to take a mental minute to get set behind the gun, after moving and before firing, which allowed the front sight to track right back into the rear notch, like it did from a stand-and-draw.

be

I've never had problems with el prez scores. Maybe it's because I'm careful to come to a settled stance quickly. My el prez scores are always the highest on my IDPA classifiers. I don't remember who taught me this, but I come around quickly and settle quickly before shooting.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Also don't mean to get off the main subject but has anyone worked with an Indo Board? I have been thinking of purchasing one to get my balance more stable.

I think the BOSU ball is a better option. You won't be as likely to hit the turf on a BOSU. I have used it for dry fire, and while playing the Wii shooting game.

I have hear second hand stories of Eric Graffel standing on a lying down bowling pin while shooting to practice balance.