Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kimber 1911, 9 mm will not shoot 115 g

still

I have a Kimber 1911 9mm that will not extract empty casing. Kimber is telling me that the gun is a self defense weapon and may not shot 115g. Their recommendation was to shoot 124g or 147g. I shot 147g slow and had no problem, quick shooting the same thing happened(empty casing did not extract). First of all has anyone ever heard of a 1911 not shooting 115g properly? Second what may my fix be?

I dont have a Kimber (yet) but it is a little sad when they tell you it is a self defense gun and may not shoot 115gr. It should shoot any ammo. Is it a reload ammo? Factory? is your Kimber new?

If it has an internal extractor it needs to be tuned or replaced with an Aftec. If it has an external extract well, your up to the whims of kimber customer service.

I am running a Kimber in 38 Super with a 9mm barrel - After installing an Aftec it runs like a champ (loading 95JHP to 126 - No issues)

Think I would have the Kimber extractor tuned by someone that knows how. If that fails go with the Aftec. Had to put an Aftec in my Trojan to get it to run 100% but the Kimber extractor may be just a little loose. Have two friends with Kimber 9mm's and they run great with the stock extractor.

These 9mm 1911's can need a little tweaking to get running but once their tuned they are a blast.

My brand new RIA 9mm tactical is having the exact same problem. I did an extremely amateurish extractor 'tune', but haven't fired it yet.

I have never heard about the Aftec extractor. Obviously with the recommendations in this thread they are quality. Are these the "standard" for how to make a 1911 reliably extract? Are they drop-in or do they require fitting/tuning?

Thanks!

I have a Kimber 1911 9mm that will not extract empty casing. Kimber is telling me that the gun is a self defense weapon and may not shot 115g. Their recommendation was to shoot 124g or 147g. I shot 147g slow and had no problem, quick shooting the same thing happened(empty casing did not extract). First of all has anyone ever heard of a 1911 not shooting 115g properly? Second what may my fix be?

To counter the person at Kimber who stated the pistol is for self defense but needs special ammo I would say it is for self defense and should run with any quality 9MM ammo.

As others have said, get the extractor fixed or replaced. Customer service just isn't what it used to be :angry:

My brand new RIA 9mm tactical is having the exact same problem. I did an extremely amateurish extractor 'tune', but haven't fired it yet.

I have never heard about the Aftec extractor. Obviously with the recommendations in this thread they are quality. Are these the "standard" for how to make a 1911 reliably extract? Are they drop-in or do they require fitting/tuning?

Thanks!

The aftec will require tuning and fitting to the slide.

I have owned 10+ Kimbers. I have 4 in the safe now. None of them had proper extractor tension. IMO there is no reason to purchase an Aftec - just tune the one you have.

Edited by Joe D

Thanks for the info so far. It is factory ammo.The 147g I shot was reloads. I am not sure on how to tune so I sent it to Kimber. 4 to 6 weeks I am not happy about that. Also I am still concerned about Kimber stating it may not shoot 115g. Every person I had talked to or responded to my problem says it should shoot 115g. What do I tell Kimber when they say it may not shoot 115g?

Thanks for the info so far. It is factory ammo.The 147g I shot was reloads. I am not sure on how to tune so I sent it to Kimber. 4 to 6 weeks I am not happy about that. Also I am still concerned about Kimber stating it may not shoot 115g. Every person I had talked to or responded to my problem says it should shoot 115g. What do I tell Kimber when they say it may not shoot 115g?

The extractor needed about 5 minutes work total. At the range less than a minute with a pair of pliers.

Hello: The extractor needs more tension. Take the extractor out and bend it so that it gives more pressure on the round to help it extract. I have done this on 5 Kimbers now and they all work great. I have a friend that shoots just 115gr Blazer aluminum case ammo. He has shot over 50,000 rounds through it and it is still going strong. It is a 5" 9mm target model. Thanks, Eric

I have the Kimber Tac Pro II in 9mm and it has never had a problem with 115gr ammo. I have only had one experience with Kimber's customer (no) service and frankly it left allot to be desired. I'd have a smith you trust check or replace your extractor, I don't think you'll get too far with Kimber, unfortunately.

If you said where you live I'm sure someone is close enough to help you out in 10 min or send you to a smith near you that could have fixed it for less than the cost of sending the gun to KImber.