Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Target Tape

Jim Norman

We currently buy rolls of tape to patch targets. The color is not quite right. Pasters are better as a color match, but thepackaging tends to get trashed in a match. (People can't seem to figure out that nice box dispenser) Also tape sems to work better in the rain.

Does anyone have a color match, part number, source?

Jim Norman

The guys do seem to have trouble getting those paster boxes figured out. (I'll bet few pay much attention to them.) I can deal with that though...I don't like tape much.

I did see something different at the Missouri Fall Classic. There was one stage were they had pasters on a sheet of paper...kinda like address labels. Those could prove handy. I don't know where they came from or what they cost. I know I would sure like to have some in my pocket while RO'ing a big match. (For taping the holes that get missed by the reset crew.)

Wow...must be nice to have the tape even come close to the correct color. One club I shoot with insists on taping with good old white masking tape. I have had someone grab my personal rolls of white and black out of my range bag and tape brown targets with them...totally bypassing the roll(s) of kraft tape. I think this crew would tape with blue painter's tape if they had it. :(

I guess every club has it's idiosynchractic souls. :)

Having just returned from Italy, I have used tape for the very 1st time at a level 3 match and will return with my own lot of pasters next time. <g> No white or black tape to be found anywhere. We only used rolled tape at the match in a nice brown color. It worked fine, but what I noticed is that people tend to use more tape than is needed to patch the target. That being said tape is fine, just not what I am use to using.

I also like pasters. The problem is the people that have not figured out how to use the dispenser boxes correctly. If you pull the backer through you peel the pasters free and you can easily apply them to the targets with little if any waste. However, too many shooters will pull out a strip with 20-30 pasters and after the match we find all sorts of strips with 5 pasters or so, then they get trashed. the rolls of pasters are great when they stay in the boxes. When you take them out, they tend to get all screwed up. What we do, is take the rolls of tape and put them on the chain for the adjustable wrench that is in each stage box. the tape then stays at the range, as does the wrench. They both become too large to inadvertantly drop into a pocket or a bag.

Jim

I usually carry a box of pasters in the thigh pocket of my pants at every match --- because I can usually tape about half the stage in the time it takes 2-3 people with tape to do the other half. I may be a C-class shooter, but I'm at least an M-taper! :lol::lol:

Damn them! Here I go saving up my spare change for one of those (literally) and now it is gonna take another couple week's worth of change.

The color match may be off but it has GOT to be better than white masking tape.

I suppose one could make a case for inappropriate tape altering the course of fire from first to last shooter. First shooter has pristine targets and last shooter has targets that more closely resemble no-shoots than shoots. Oh Darth Vince...... But there I go being a DRL again. ;)

<still wondering whether to get "kraft" or "tan" for my upcoming tournament>

ALCO Pasters aren't available in 'Tan'. You have to decide between 'Kraft' and 'Buff'. We already ptooey-ed any idea of using tape for a match, so don't even think about it.

Btw, I suspect you want 'Kraft', despite the catchier marketing name for 'Buff', but you could call them to be sure.

Target Barn shows Buff being for paper targets and Tan for cardboard targets.

I just ordered some Kraft pasters from Alco, hoping for a match to my cardboard targets.

I also accidentally ordered some pasting tape a couple of weeks ago. I might leave this stuff in the range box for those guys who just can't figure out how to operate the paster dispenser box.

The best match IMHO was the Hot Shots targets and pasters. The target looked new after being pasted. Of course Hot Shots isn't an option anymore.

I find that, while pasters work great for a match, I prefer tape for practice. I will usually shoot several times at a target in practice before I tape. With tape, I can tear off long strips and cover multiple holes.

I have also used the wide (2") brown packing tape for practice before too. Lately, I have not been able to find it though. What I used was a paper-backed tape (like the regular "rolls" of tape). The color matched great. Now all I can find is a plastic-backed tape that doesn't match very well.

The wide tape also works great for covering shotgun holes from slug stages.