Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bent firing pin?

I just installed a DP extended firing pin in my Para P-16 less then a month ago and during dry fire tonight it got stuck sticking out of the fp hole. I finally got it out with some needle nose pliers to find out the tip of the firing pin was bent. I probably only fired 500 live rounds on it at around 170pf. I never had any problems with a standard pin. What could of caused it to bend?

Best way I have heard to bend a firing pin, is to chamber a case that has no primer then drop the hammer on it.

Did the extended pin do anything good for you?

Edited by wide45

Best way I have heard to bend a firing pin, is to chamber a case that has no primer then drop the hammer on it.

You just solved the mystery , I was practicing unloaded starts with some dummy rounds with no primers in the cases. Damn,I never heard of damaging a firing pin like that but now it makes sense. Thanks wide45 :cheers: And to answer your question, I was having light strikes with Cci primers using a 18lbs mainspring so I got a extended fp. I also found out that the DP extended fp with set off those not so perfectly seated primers.

You just solved the mystery , I was practicing unloaded starts with some dummy rounds with no primers in the cases. Damn,I never heard of damaging a firing pin like that but now it makes sense.

<_< Thats weird ............. I do that all the time. Never had a problem.

I never had a problem with until last nights dryfire. I was dropping the hammer on a dummy round with no primer and I'm pretty sure the extended fp got stuck in the flash hole of the primer pocket because I couldn't pull the slide back without a lot of force.

To prevent this from repeating which would be the best option- fill the primer pockets with hot glue/rubber cement or drill the primer pockets all the way out?

This is how it happened to me also. I was practicing the day before I left for the big Steel Challenge match in California and bent mine the same way. I tried to get it back to perfectly straight, but I could never get just right. I called my smith and he had one polished and hanging on his door when I swung by at 4am on my way out of town.

Of course I have backup now.