Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Count-down to first match

Sunday will be my first USPSA match and I am getting butterflies! My goal for this match is to have fun, learn lots, and don't get DQ'd. I will be shooting Production and have been practicing weekly for over a month now. I have been shooting for years now, but never competitively. I can't wait! Wish me luck..

Sunday will be my first USPSA match and I am getting butterflies! My goal for this match is to have fun, learn lots, and don't get DQ'd. I will be shooting Production and have been practicing weekly for over a month now. I have been shooting for years now, but never competitively. I can't wait! Wish me luck..

Relace with something like "do what required to safely negotiate the courses of fire"

Good luck and have fun I just shot my first USPSA match yesterday with the grup at JCSSA near Fort Worth, a great bunch. Took there time with me to make sure I was safe and had a good time. Though leading up and just after the first course of fire I was a nervous wreck. It got a lot better by the end I was much more comfortable about what to expect. Now if I could just get back the 4 misses.

So how'd it go? Hope you were safe (no DQ) and had fun!

I had an absolute blast! I squaded with some older gentlemen who weren't in any hurry and were very helpful. I didn't shoot as well as I know I can, but I will chalk that up to nerves. I did really well on the steel, and most of my first hits on paper were good. I had a lot of A-C targets and a few misses. Didn't hit any no-shoots, no penalties for proceedures. Now I am awaiting the scores to be posted and it is killing me! Talk about OCD, I am hitting the clubs website every 30 minutes. I know I didn't place high, but I just gotta know. There were 30 shooters so maybe I squeaked into the lower mid section...

I had an absolute blast! I squaded with some older gentlemen who weren't in any hurry and were very helpful. I didn't shoot as well as I know I can, but I will chalk that up to nerves. I did really well on the steel, and most of my first hits on paper were good. I had a lot of A-C targets and a few misses. Didn't hit any no-shoots, no penalties for proceedures. Now I am awaiting the scores to be posted and it is killing me! Talk about OCD, I am hitting the clubs website every 30 minutes. I know I didn't place high, but I just gotta know. There were 30 shooters so maybe I squeaked into the lower mid section...

Hopefully they were helpful in the right way. "Here is how I plan to shoot it" and then explain why. "When you come around the corner here look out for...." and then explain why. Hopefully some of the courses will also have the ability to be shot multiple ways within the same division. This way you learn the tips and tricks that allow you to shoot it quicker as well as tips that help keep you safe. Then later as you get to know them you can suggest your method of attacking the course and have them critique it, again as a means of learning what you may have overlooked when you put your plan together. Down the road a ways you might be one of the people teaching the new shooters when they show up for their first match. :cheers: :cheers:

Congratulations! :cheers:

One suggestion: when you get the match results, take a look to see what percentage of available points you shot on each stage. Shooting around 90-95% of the available points on every stage is a simple, realistic and achievable goal for new shooters.

Where you are relative to that objective benchmark will tell you if you need to be more patient calling your shots or if you should turn on the jets.

The butterflies in your stomach will clear after you've shot 4-6 matches. Try to start a 'routine' for yourself before you shoot each stage. For me, when I'm called on-deck, given the squad is large enough, I try to stop taping and brassing, and start to mentally prepare for the stage. I close my eyes and picture myself going through the stage, exactly where I'm going to be standing when I shoot each target, where I do each reload, etc. This is also the time I prep my gear, make sure my mags are FULLY loaded to your division, make sure their in correctly, etc. I try to relax and calm myself as much as I can before the buzzer goes off. I also try to physically go through the stage as people are resetting the stage for the next shooters. Just try to let the 'next' shooter go in front of you and stay out of his way while you're walking the stage, and they'll return the favor :-)