Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new to competitive shooting - open class?

So long story short, I shot my first IPSC match in production with a factory g19 and got hooked.

I've since then purchased a G35, and it happened to be a good deal... the only problem is that in its current configuration, it would put me in open class.

I then heard from a few guys at the range that it might not be so bad to learn in open (because it has a red dot) as it allows me to realize how much i'm moving the gun. Basically the red dot really "uncovers" what jerky/unstable you are compared to irons.

Not that I'd ever learn to shoot irons fast... just saying I could go back and forth.

Any thoughts?

I am in a similar situation man, it depends on how much money you want to spend to go shooting. Unless you already have an open class rifle/shotgun then you need to plan spending ALOT of money to get the guns and parts that make open class so cool. Just my $.02 as another new guy.

it might not be so bad to learn in open (because it has a red dot) as it allows me to realize how much i'm moving the gun. Basically the red dot really "uncovers" what jerky/unstable you are compared to irons.

Any thoughts?

I took a course with Max Michel a few years ago, and he said that

you do learn (grow) from shooting Open and Non-Open (Production or Limited).

I've tried it, and I have learned quite a bit from the two disciplines.

You won't be competitive in OPEN with the gun you're talking about, but

you will learn some new things.

Good luck,

Jack

So long story short, I shot my first IPSC match in production with a factory g19 and got hooked.

I've since then purchased a G35, and it happened to be a good deal... the only problem is that in its current configuration, it would put me in open class.

I then heard from a few guys at the range that it might not be so bad to learn in open (because it has a red dot) as it allows me to realize how much i'm moving the gun. Basically the red dot really "uncovers" what jerky/unstable you are compared to irons.

Not that I'd ever learn to shoot irons fast... just saying I could go back and forth.

Any thoughts?

I run a Glock 35 in Limited and production. How hard can it be to take off the optics and the compensator? I have never had a open Glock or seen one but I would think it would be easy to take off the red dot and just put a stock barrel in it. Not sure? Post a photo of your gun so we can all see it.

Nothing wrong with staying in open for as long as you want.

No new guy will be competitive with the Grandmasters. Your competition will be the others in your class, and the classification system evens out equipment differences.

I recommend that you go and shoot, and have a good time in a division that fits the gear you now own. Do that for a while, and you can decide if it's to your advantage to buy something else.

Actually, I have a set of Dawson sights too and anotrr barrel. So i could go to limited, but I'd have to go to a gunsmith to swap out the optics.

I was just curious about running it like this (I really really like the red dot) and wanted to know if I should get anotrr slide dedicated for limited (since I have another barrel).

And than start shooting back and forth. Does that sound like a bad idea?

There's nothing wrong with starting in open. When I started seriously competing (2-3 matches per month) I shot open. It does teach you to go fast because the gun recovers faster you don't have to concentrate on sight alignment so your focus is on getting to the next target. Later on when I started shooting limited I progressed pretty fast because I was already used to getting the gun and myself to the next target quickly. I think if you start with limited and then move to open it will take longer to get really fast because you're used to moving the gun slower due to the slightly longer time it takes see and align the sights. When you move from open to limited you need to slow down and for most that is easier than speeding up.

I would advise you to pick one discipline and stick with it in the beginning, you will progress faster.

Edited by TMC

Im with Todd (TMC) on this one, I started with L-10 shot for 3 matches, then moved to limited, shot a little better. Stayed there for about a year, didn't improved much. Then about 9 months ago i picked up an open gun, learned a lot from it.

Like TMC said, open gun will recover faster making you shoot faster. Accuracy is in you. One other thing, production, single stack, L-10 especially revolver has got to be hardest to start with. Not only that you have to align the sights but the reloads. To me, reloading has its own art. 4-5 reloads on a single stage can either be a good 4-5seconds or a bad 12-15 or so seconds. In open, you dont worry much about that. You just put that dot on the target and squeeze away. You get to learn movements, faster target acquisition. There is a catch with open though, its really like a drag race. no slowing down.

Try open and shoot it for a year..

Im with Todd (TMC) on this one, I started with L-10 shot for 3 matches, then moved to limited, shot a little better. Stayed there for about a year, didn't improved much. Then about 9 months ago i picked up an open gun, learned a lot from it.

Like TMC said, open gun will recover faster making you shoot faster. Accuracy is in you. One other thing, production, single stack, L-10 especially revolver has got to be hardest to start with. Not only that you have to align the sights but the reloads. To me, reloading has its own art. 4-5 reloads on a single stage can either be a good 4-5seconds or a bad 12-15 or so seconds. In open, you dont worry much about that. You just put that dot on the target and squeeze away. You get to learn movements, faster target acquisition. There is a catch with open though, its really like a drag race. no slowing down.

Try open and shoot it for a year..

I am new but if he and I are using a Glock 35, the gun will only hold max of 20 rounds. If this is true we still have to do more mag exchanges than the guy runnimg a 38super (I head these 38 super guns hold close to 30 rounds).

I started n Open about 7 years ago. I rarely shoot anything else. It is my opinion that had I shot a different platform I would have progressed faster. OPEN WILL ALSO ALLOW YOU TO GLOSS OVER SKILLS that you'll need as you develop, say from U to B. Reloading being just one of those skills.

My opinion is to start in Production.

I feel you are in the "crucible" when in this division. You will be forced to develop proper habits, no glossing, to be competitive. Reloads will become like "silk", stage breakdown will become better, almost all phases of your shooting will be better over time and practice.

I guess you should know yourself. I was really happy running around with my Open gun and inside of a couple years I was a contender at all (4) local matches a month. But, this is COMBINED type scoring. If you do OPEN, remember that a good yardstick is about 1 class. Thats to mean that as a C open shooter, you should be even with or beating B limited and production type shooters. This is where I made my mistake and set on my laurels. Heck, I'm high overall what do I need to do? Stupid me, huh!

Anyways, if your goal is to be the best USPSA type shooter in as short a time, put yourself in the "crucible of production" and then work your butt off. Nothing is better than 3 more reloads and smoking an Open guy that didn't do ONE, and probably would have fumbled it anyway. I know, I've seen thier faces, priceless!!!!

Bring what you got and shoot it.

All divisions will teach you different skills.

I like revolver and what I get from it is: Stage breakdown, a more complicated plan then most other divisions, and more need to follow that plan.

But USPSA is all about: Bring what you got and shoot it.

Have fun.

I have shot in most divisions, and shoot revolver because I found that at the end of a stage, it gives me the biggest grin!

Welcome to the sport of shooting.

Nothing is better than 3 more reloads and smoking an Open guy that didn't do ONE, and probably would have fumbled it anyway. I know, I've seen thier faces, priceless!!!!

or winning a match shooting Production and beating a bunch of Open and Limited shooters!

You only get max of 20 for which mag? 140 or 170? There are glock mag extensions that can go long right?

I think 140 or 170 u r talking about sit mags. Glock with mag extensions for a 40 will get u 20 rounds.

So it seems that the consensus is to NOT flip flop back and forth and stick to one. That would mean for me, that I wouldn't necessarily need another slide (because idont want to take my slide to a gunsmith to swap optics).

I bought hecklers rig (if anyone recalls seeing that from the classifieds a few days ago).

The g35 is in "Cali jail" right now but I was able to shoot it and try oit te red dot (I'm in love with red dots).

So it seems that the consensus is to NOT flip flop back and forth and stick to one. That would mean for me, that I wouldn't necessarily need another slide (because idont want to take my slide to a gunsmith to swap optics).

I bought hecklers rig (if anyone recalls seeing that from the classifieds a few days ago).

The g35 is in "Cali jail" right now but I was able to shoot it and try oit te red dot (I'm in love with red dots).

"Cali Jail", What does that mean? You can;t have a Glock 35 in that state?

If a red dot makes you grin use it.

After you have been to more matches you will know more about what guns are used and where and how they are used, then you will know more about what you want to use and what you need. No point in getting guns/parts/gear that you may not care to use in the future.

Hehe... Us folks from komifornia (CA) refer our guns to being in "jail" whenever we DROS a new gun purchase. We get to see it touch it, But not take it home for exactly 10 days down to the minute it was entered into the system.

I guess I'll stick to open for now and shoot with the comp and all, because that red dot does put a smile on my face! Going limited is only an optic swap and an unscrewing of the comp anyways.

Now my other dilemma... 9 or 40 (I have reloading equipment for 9)

Hehe... Us folks from komifornia (CA) refer our guns to being in "jail" whenever we DROS a new gun purchase. We get to see it touch it, But not take it home for exactly 10 days down to the minute it was entered into the system.

I guess I'll stick to open for now and shoot with the comp and all, because that red dot does put a smile on my face! Going limited is only an optic swap and an unscrewing of the comp anyways.

Now my other dilemma... 9 or 40 (I have reloading equipment for 9)

You have a G35 so I take it the gun shoots 40 S&W? Maybe it shoots 9mm. If you want to shoot major with the 9 I am not sure how you do that to make major or if you even can using 9mm, I will have to look in the book.

Edited by JayJayJay

Jay... yea i've got the 40 cal...

If I ever plan to shoot major... I'd do it with the 40 for sure.

It's just that I have reloading equipment for the 9. And so I'm trying to figure out if I should invest in a caliber conversion kit and reload 40, or invest in a 40 to 9mm conversion barrel and stick to 9 for minor.

Jay... yea i've got the 40 cal...

If I ever plan to shoot major... I'd do it with the 40 for sure.

It's just that I have reloading equipment for the 9. And so I'm trying to figure out if I should invest in a caliber conversion kit and reload 40, or invest in a 40 to 9mm conversion barrel and stick to 9 for minor.

The price of the barrel will set you back about 125-150 bucks. You can set up your dillion for 40 S&W for about the same price or less (I think).

Yea, a LWD is about 100 bucks, then I need about 35 dollars of misc stuff to reliably run 9 out of the g35.

Assuming of course I have no issues using the 40 mags.

I'm gonna try running 40. If I really don't like it, or 40 brass becomes too scarce to pickup, I'll sell the dies and buy a conversion barrel

Yea, a LWD is about 100 bucks, then I need about 35 dollars of misc stuff to reliably run 9 out of the g35.

Assuming of course I have no issues using the 40 mags.

I'm gonna try running 40. If I really don't like it, or 40 brass becomes too scarce to pickup, I'll sell the dies and buy a conversion barrel

Good Idea. You can also get once fired brass of the internet and also off the for sale area here on this forum.