Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new to competitive shooting - open class?

One of the guys that I shoot use to run an open glock in 9mm major for plates and USPSA. The guy was bad fast with it and it ran pretty good when he could keep his fingers out the gun....the more he dicked with the gun the worse it got.

Well thankfully I have purchased a supposedly tuned setup. Meaning it should run fine so long as my loads are correct.

Then again, running the ammo I need to in order to run the comp is pretty expensive. I'm considering running the red dot but without the comp as I get acclimated to things

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd updated everyone on what I ended up doing...

I bought a lone wolf 35 slide and put the JPoint red dot on that slide. And then put sevigney competitions on the factory slide.

So shooting either open or limited is just 2 minutes away from each other.

I've noticed that my groupings are ridiculous with the red dot. I expected it to be better of course, but not this much better. surprise.gif

I also notice how much i move with the red dot as compared to irons... I'll take this as a good thing... to learn to be more still I suppose.

I just hope that when I do shoot irons... that my hits don't look like i was shooting with shotgun loaded with bird shot unsure.gif

my issue with a red dot on a slide is that it is hard to get back on target with an optic that keeps moving back and forth.

open guns have a mount on the frame. thus the optic doesn't move. much faster targeting system.

my issue with a red dot on a slide is that it is hard to get back on target with an optic that keeps moving back and forth.

open guns have a mount on the frame. thus the optic doesn't move. much faster targeting system.

Really? Faster for who? Have you shot a lot of both?

the dot on the slide moving is just visual confusion. the c-more on a mount still moves/shakes. just watch the slow-mo available online. At any case, the dot will move, it's not suppose to stay there because there is still that 'recoil'.

If you come to think of it, the dot on the slide should move less than the mounted one because there is no mount that will shake it during recoil.

again, these are all observations. I can be so wrong in so many ways. just shoot the gun dude :roflol:

In my experience either one is as quick as the other. The real consideration should be given to reliability and "optic size". The latter might be considered shooter preference. I prefer the standard Cmore for reliability and the larger optic size.

You can go from U to GM with either one IMHO.

Choose one and shoot the dot out of it!