Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Preferred Die Manufacturer

Okay, I'm not new to reloading, but have been using a Dillon Square Deal with solid success. Now I'd like to begin reloading .223 & .308 so I picked up an XL650. My question is what dies to purchase. Are there really any differences? I've been told to go with a 'small base' or 'full length' sizing die since I will be shooting both calibers in semi-auto rifles. I've also read to go with Lee Factory Crimp dies for the same reason. Beyond that, I'm wondering how much if any difference there is between the various manufacturers. I will also be loading 9mm & .357 mag on this new machine and will need dies for these as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm itching to get the 650 up and rollin'.

Thanks in advance

I have loaded a bunch of .223 on a 550B and a bunch of .308 on a 650. In both I use Dillon carbide dies with great success. I use the .223 ammo in several AR's and the .308 in M1A's. The Dillon carbides do great with sizing. Never had a function problem in the semi autos. I also run Dillon dies in my pistol calibers, .45 .40 and 9mm.

I do use other brand dies in some single stage precision loading, but I have never seen a need to do anything else in the Dillons. Good choice on the press. Can't do any better in a progressive.

If you want to reload on a Dillon, I would recommend the Dillon dies, they are designed for the heavier use typical of most of us who use Dillon's, and they are designed to work with a progressive press, other brands are designed to work on single stage presses. Dillon dies in bottleneck rifle calibers come standard with a carbide expander button, so you don't need to lubricate the inside of the neck of the case.

You don't need the carbide dies by Dillon, it says on Dillon's website the carbide rifle dies are intended for extremely high volume loaders, like a commercial reloaders, an individual is unlikely to wear out a set of dies in their lifetime. BTW, even carbide dies in bottleneck rifle calibers need to be lubed.

1st choice - Redding Pro-Series are end all, be all dies IMO.

2nd choice - RCBS

3rd choice - For a budget die the Hornady new generations are pretty sweet. Far nicer than Lees and just as nice looking as RCBS.

4th choice - Lee. In all reality the Lees work just fine too.

I like rcbs dies for rifle reloading. I mainly neck size most the time and full length size when cases start to load to tight. I do have some old herters bullet seating dies that I really like they have a cut away to set the bullet in the push the case up to meet it. But as of now all I reload is single stage.

2nd choice - RCBS

3rd choice - For a budget die the Hornady new generations are pretty sweet. Far nicer than Lees and just as nice looking as RCBS.

I share your opinion!

Okay, I'm not new to reloading, but have been using a Dillon Square Deal with solid success. Now I'd like to begin reloading .223 & .308 so I picked up an XL650. My question is what dies to purchase. Are there really any differences? I've been told to go with a 'small base' or 'full length' sizing die since I will be shooting both calibers in semi-auto rifles. I've also read to go with Lee Factory Crimp dies for the same reason. Beyond that, I'm wondering how much if any difference there is between the various manufacturers. I will also be loading 9mm & .357 mag on this new machine and will need dies for these as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm itching to get the 650 up and rollin'.

Thanks in advance

I uise a Dillon 550. For loading lead bullets I prefer the Dillon dies since one can remove the isnsert from the seating die for cleaning and then quickly put it back together without disturbing the seating depth. For jacketed bullets I have used Dillon, Lyman, Lee, RCBS and Hornady dies. This is all for straight walled pistol calibers.

2nd choice - RCBS

I share your opinion!

Me too!

Top shelf Redding Dies are just that, top shelf.

IMO dillon dies are pricy.

I own rcbs and redding dies.

Everyone has a preference. Mine is Hornady dies for rifle and Dillon dies for pistol. I like the collet in the bullet seating die. I had a problem with the bullets dropping sideways inside the seating die with all the others. Not every round. But just enough to upset me about it.

This is like the old Ford, Chevy, Dodge debates of old. :)

I think they're all pretty good. I've used Lee, Dillon, and RCBS and I like them all. Never had a chance to try Lyman, Hornady, or Redding dies. Lee makes great dies for the price, but their lock rings suck.

My first chioce is Redding. I use nothing but Redding Competition Seating Dies on all of my 650s with Dillon sizing and powder dies and Lee FCD for all pistol ammo. For rifles I use all Redding dies.

#1 Dillon, expensive, but never had anything but consistently excellent results.

#2 RCBS or Redding, still use precision/competion seating dies after many years and 1000's of loads on both.

#3 Lee cheap and decent specialty dies.

2nd choice - RCBS

i agree with this posted by Shadowrider

i will have to add dillon as number 5. in my opinion dillon dies are the worst dies i have ever used. keep in mind i load on a single stage rcbs and a lnl ap. i have never used a dillon press so dillon dies may be ok on a dillon press but i cant see why the press would make a difference. just my 2 cents

I load on a 550 and a 650, really like Lee's first stage sizer. Loading 9mm minor on the 650 at present and using Lee's seating die with a custom flat insert and a Dillon Crimp die.

Most of my tool heads have varied dies but either a Lee standard or U die sits in the first station using a Dillon lock nut.

• 2 weeks later...

DISCLAIMER: I am a newbie to reloading

I am just now getting ready to order my reloading equipment, and have been asking this same question. I called Redding and RCBS today to get more info on what I should be buying to meet my needs. The Redding guy told me that for high power competition in a semi-auto platform I would be best served with the National Match Die Set for my .223. He said that it full sizes the case, which is required for semi-autos, and also has a micrometer seating die. It should work from 55gr to 77gr. He said that there is a special seat for VLD bullets, but I won't need that personally. The RCBS website says that the small base sizer will work for a few firings, but that a full length sizer will eventually be needed. The advantage of the small base die seems to be less working of the brass once you have trimmed it to proper length. The catch is, I have been looking at single stage presses. The Redding rep said that the competition and pro-series die sets are specifically made for progressive presses. The one thing that I know for sure now, is that the neck sizers are for bolt guns only.

A friend of mine just turned me on to this site, and I can see where he got his influence for the Dillon 550. I may go that route in the future, but for now I can't pass up the money savings of the RCBS kits (or my recently acquired discount with Redding: door prize at an event, I am not a rep) If anyone can shed more light on what I have been told, please let me know. I have a Redding catalogue, Sinclair catalogue, and Midway catalogue in front of me and my head is spinning.

Edited by ajroyer

When you guys are saying redding pro series do you mean:

Redding Competition Pro Series Carbide or

Redding Pro Series Carbide

Those Competetion Pro Series are expensive

When you guys are saying redding pro series do you mean:

Redding Competition Pro Series Carbide or

Redding Pro Series Carbide

Those Competetion Pro Series are expensive

I think you have to be specific on what you want to do with the dies. Most of the companies call the dies "competition" if they put a micrometer on top to adjust the seating depth very precisely. The Redding Catalogue and all of the other die companies have regular dies (without micrometers) that are affordable. If you look at the pistol dies, they start "conventional titanium carbide" and don't have a micrometer. Then they make a change to the crimp die and call it "pro series" so they can market it to progressive reloaders. If you are picky about the details, they then add a micrometer to the seating die and call it "pro series competition." It is similar with their rifle dies. Their "series A" dies are pretty affordable, then they move to a "bushing die" which gives more control on the sizing, then up to "competition" which adds the micrometer. In between all this, you have to know all the adjectives that they use, like "National Match," "Neck," "Full Length," and "Small Base."

For what it is worth, RCBS, Hornady, Lee, etc all play the same name game with their stuff. Depending on how picky you are with the minute details, they all work the same way and the bullets still go bang. I am looking at the micrometer in the National Match for rifle, because I want to know that the seating depth is EXACTLY what I need for my rifle. I am not quite as picky on my pistol rounds, so the plain titanium carbide set will work. Please do yourself a favor and call the company. Redding was VERY helpful on the phone, and RCBS will give you some info if you know what to ask.