Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

About to pull the trigger on a RIA 9mm

Howdy folks-

Lately I've had a hankering to play with my 1911. But I don't plan on paying for .45 ammo at the volume I typically shoot. So I'm pretty interested in getting a 9mm 1911 to play with!

This isn't a 'switch my gear completely gun', it's just a 'picked up a new range/game toy' kind of gun. So the price point means either a Taurus 1911 9mm or the Rock Island tactical. The former has fallen off my list due to reports of crappiness, and their notorious customer service. The RIA's seem to get consistently solid reviews, given their price point.

So, does anyone here have a good amount of experience with RIA? Especially in 9mm? The volume expected is 300-500 rounds per month.

I certainly get that it's not going to have the trigger or raw accuracy of a 2011, but I just expect full reliability and "A zone" accuracy.

Thanks for any thoughts-

I purchased my RIA Match in .45 about 3 years ago and it has been a GREAT purchase! It is very accurate, I can create one ragged hole at 15 yards and that is good for me. I am sure it could do better. I did have a trigger job done not that it was bad, I just wanted it better.

I have also fired a RIA tactical model, it also shot great.

I recently purchased a 9mm upper for the 45 frame. Swapped out ejectors and barrel links. It now runs like a scalded cat! It is a blast to shoot and now thanks to being 9mm cost effective.

RIA9mm-vi.jpg

I don't own a RIA and I'm not a 1911 purist, but the only 'bad' thing I've seen on RIA is that most (not all) but most have no dovetails, so you're stuck with the old fashioned blade sights w/o significant further investment. This is not at all scientific, but the folks I see that use them at IDPA matches (mostly newer-ish shooters running factory ammo, by the way) seem to run them just fine - no performance issues.

So, if your eyes are better than mine are and the sights are not an issue, at that price point I'd say why not! Any excuse to add to the collection!

most (not all) but most have no dovetails, so you're stuck with the old fashioned blade sights w/o significant further investment.

The Tactical and the Match models come with dove tails. The Match comes with adjustable rear and fiber optic front. The rest you are pretty much stuck with the bladeangry.gif

I have several Rock Islands.

They run great and have customer service (rarely needed) that the other gun makers should try to emulate.

Get it and shoot the crap out of it.

Dave

I work in a gun shop. We sell a ton of the RIA 9mm no complaints yet but none of these guys are match shooters. I got the chance to shoot one a few weeks ago and at 15yds it shot great, fed well and felt well balance. It shot P.O.A right out of the box. If you get your hands on it and like the feel of it go for it.

I've played around with a tactical at the local gun shop. I was surprised that the trigger was as nice as it was. The finish is what you'd expect for the money, functional, but not pretty. Overall I would say it's a winner.

I plan on grabbing one in 9mm myself one of these days.

Edited by dsmw5142

most (not all) but most have no dovetails, so you're stuck with the old fashioned blade sights w/o significant further investment.

The Tactical and the Match models come with dove tails. The Match comes with adjustable rear and fiber optic front. The rest you are pretty much stuck with the bladeangry.gif

AH, OK - I've just yet to see those in my local store. What do those (Tactical/Match) retail for?

I just picked up a RIA 9mm (tactical) last week as a backup to my DW PM9. It's not a bad gun for $450. The factory rear sight is just fine IMO, plain black. The RIAs do have a kind of funky front dovetail, but Dawson makes a FO to fit it. I haven't really had a chance to shoot it yet, but several of my friends have them and haven't had any real problems.

I have a tactical that I toyed with in .45. I have about $700 invested total and is now my primary SS. the ambi's are good. when they eventually break I'll put ed browns on it. I have expensive 1911's I don't want to add grip tape to or bang up, or really even holster. My hot rod RIA looks, shoots just as nice my top tier 1911's.

I have an officers in .45. Can cover 3 shots with a silver dollar at 10 yards. It's my edc and has well over 2500 rounds thru it. Never a problem, eats any thing. Amazing buy for the money.

Not 9 mm, just giving opinion on company in general.

I just picked up a RIA 9mm (tactical) last week as a backup to my DW PM9. It's not a bad gun for $450. The factory rear sight is just fine IMO, plain black. The RIAs do have a kind of funky front dovetail, but Dawson makes a FO to fit it. I haven't really had a chance to shoot it yet, but several of my friends have them and haven't had any real problems.

Get Joe to tweek the trigger for you.

Get Joe to tweek the trigger for you.

I'll probably give it to him this weekend(along with a single side safety and ext. mag release), already changed out the front sight, after that it's pretty much good to go.

Forgot to update this thread!

I picked up one of the full size 9mm RIA tactical's this week. Took it straight to the range and ran 150 rounds of factory ammo through it (100 rounds of 124gr and 50 of 115gr). The gun still had the factory oil on it, and didn't receive a pre-cleaning. Only the supplied factory magazine was used (I'm not clear on what type of mag this is, but it kind of sucks. Prone to nose-dive'ing the bullets).

The trigger is crisp and quite light (<4# I think). There's a bit of overtravel that I'd like fixed but it's not awful. The sights do just fine. Accuracy is really great; this thing makes you look good. Slide to frame fit is excellent and much better than my Springfield, as is barrel to bushing fit.

Two problems:

1) I experienced 4 failures to extract at seemingly random times. It would try to feed a fresh round into the chamber which was being occupied by a spent casing. Weak or out of spec extractor I assume. I emailed the company Wednesday but haven't heard back. In the mean time, I tried to 'tune' the extractor; it's my first time trying this so I'll have to shoot it to see if it actually worked (doubtful!). I'm hoping RIA asks me to send the pistol in to them.

2) There are two areas that betray the otherwise excellent fit & finish. The first is that there is a small area where the frame extends just a bit past the beavertail, right where the web of your hand goes. At first you don't notice it, but then it quickly starts eating the shit out of your hand. Similarly, the "bottom" and "rear" of the left safety extend just a bit past the frame, and help eat into your thumb. Both are pissing me off. I don't know how to fix those things other than disassemble the lower (which I've never done) and file back the frame and safety, respectively. Then apply (??) a new finish (paint? some sort of cold-processing park?).

All in all, I'm not upset with it for the money. The lack of reliability and poor fit in a spot that actually matters are quite irritating. I'm crossing my fingers that the highly reputable RIA customer service will kick in shortly and fix my woes. If not, it'll be another ~$100 for a local gent to try and fix things. Or ~$20 for me to work on it and ugly things up.

I'll update things again when I know more...

I have a RIA Tac in 45 and it took about 150-200 rds to break it in. After that, it's been smooth sailing ever since.

Try giving them (Advanced Tactical) a call. I can't recall the number from the top of my head but Arnel, the gunsmith is very helpful.

AH, OK - I've just yet to see those in my local store. What do those (Tactical/Match) retail for?

I picked up a RIA tactical for $499. Local FFL, former LEO working from his home. I can give you contact details if interested.

Great pistol so far BTW.

Never forget you get what you pay for. I had a 9mm Tactical for a while. It had several issues that I noted in my review. None were what I would call a deal killer. It would feed anything from any mag. One common thread is all that I have worked on is loose lateral play at the front. The frame rails are ok, but the slide rails are not. Not a big deal to fix if you have the tools. Really did not appear to effect accuracy. I just like tight guns.

The only aftermarket extended mag release that fits without modification in the Wilson - not their Bullet Proof version.

Getting rid of the funky ambi safety is going to require cutting a wider retaining groove in an aftermarket model.

Look closely at the bottom lug engagement to make certain both lugs are contacting the pin.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=312775&highlight=cjd45acp

I picked up a RIA tactical for $499. Local FFL, former LEO working from his home. I can give you contact details if interested.

Great pistol so far BTW.

Added a few things yesterday:

Dawson fiber optic front sight (Dawson has one specific for the RIA)

Dawson ICE magwell & MSH

Stippled the cheap stock grips and added a little BLING BLING with some spent brass...

post-29482-097868000 1305034251_thumb.jp

Edited by JayTray

Range report?

When you installed the Dawson F/O front sight, did it require a lot of fitting?

Ive only been out once so far, initial break in (300 rounds)

The ACT mag had issues on the first round each time (full mag) Borrowed a well used CMC mag and ran flawlessly.

Very windy day, at 20 ft best grouping was around 2"-2.5" (stcck sights) Havent had a chance to try the new F.O. sight

No fitting required drifted right into place.