Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slot awards to Nationals

Jim Norman

A post in a different thread (Why are Nationals Important to USPSA) got me to thinking.

Maybe we should award ALL the slots to Nationals based upon performance at:

Previous year's Nationals. Top finishers 1 for each 30 in a Division plus Class winners. 400 people shoot so this would be about 20 slots from each of the two Nats (SS has its own Nat so that is a different deal)

Area Matches, same as above. Awarded first in each class in each Division, then second, third, fourth.

Section Matches, Same as Area.

Both Area and Section winners would need to be residents of the Area or Section to qualify for a slot. National winners need only be USPSA members.

Everyone has a chance to win, if you refuse a slot it goes into a pool for a wait list. Wait list sign up between opening of the list and closing of the list and slots are awarded by random drawing.

I will admit to not having done the research and math to see just how many slots this would require.

Might be a good thing, might not. This would award slots based upon skill for all but the wait list.

Good Idea? Bad Idea? Half-Baked? Just putting it out for discussion

The ECO section awards slots based on performance in our season-long qualifier series, rather than performance at our sectional match. I think this is a pretty cool alternative way of doing it and wouldn't want it to be prohibited.

Jim,

On the surface not a bad idea. However, some Areas/Sections/Clubs also award some of the folks slots, that work their butts off all year to make the matches run. Some clubs don't have folks that want a slot or their "hot" shooter won a slot at Area or National. I think that there still needs to be some discretion at the Section/Club levels. There has got to be a more equitable way, than is currently done.

I'd rather go the other way. Get rid of the slots. Instead, issue vouchers/coupons for those that earn the slots now (including Section Mission Count slots).

Then...let EVERYBODY know they are welcome at the Nats. Just send in the apps. Expand the match...let everybody know they can get in. Do it early, of course...so folks can get their vacations in by the end of the previous year. (and other major matches can schedule around the Nats too).

I like the idea mentioned in the other thread...all Juniors...$10 match fee.

I'll bet we could grow the match(s) by 100 shooters a year.

After working a few Nationals the idea of expanding by 100 shooters means some awfully long days for the RO's unless the number of days is also expanded. I know my butt was dragging after running 12 squads a day. How about someone make up a shooting schedule matrix for 500 shooters and see what it takes with 18 stages.

I think part of "expanding" the Nationals would have to include expanding the staff, and looking at ways to ease the load. Maybe large enough staffs so that some can be resting while other works on a rotational basis. I know from working State and Sectional matches that its a long draining day. But having enough manpower to only run every other squad would ease the load. And I think all those we have running for president have been around long enough to know this.

I'd rather go the other way. Get rid of the slots. Instead, issue vouchers/coupons for those that earn the slots now (including Section Mission Count slots).

Then...let EVERYBODY know they are welcome at the Nats. Just send in the apps. Expand the match...let everybody know they can get in. Do it early, of course...so folks can get their vacations in by the end of the previous year. (and other major matches can schedule around the Nats too).

Thats an awesome Idea Kyle.

Cowboy "nationals" does not have slots. You send in app you shoot. First come first served until full. All the top shooters show, some shoot uspsa also. What is the point of slots? Without them the top shooters will still show up, and everyone else gets to play also. Set a number limit on shooters and then let it rip. Really can't wrap my mind around the slot system.

Thats an awesome Idea Kyle.

+1

I don't know how big becomes unmanageable, but I think they should be open to more folks.

Just brainstorming here.

Can Nationals be broken up and run as separate matches? How about Nationals be a week long event.

Sat/Sun - Limited

Mon/Tue - L10/SS/Revo

Wed/Thur - Production

Fri/Sat - Open

Lots of shooters on site means lots of ROs. Which also means ROs can break up an not have to work entire tournament. It also means if a shooter is good enough, they can shoot in multiple National championships.

Again, just brainstorming out loud. I agree nationals should be our premier event.

Edited by glefos

Can Nationals be broken up and run as separate matches? How about Nationals be a week long event.

It already is broken up. The last nationals that had all divisions shooting during the same dates was 2004.

Are they really? Could a shooter be the 2011 Production and Limited National champion or the Open and L-10 champ? Do individual squads at the various Nationals have more than one division present?

I just assumed it was a pick and choose when you attended and event. I have yet to attend a Nationals.

I'd agree with this one too. I'm currently stationed overseas and will likely be for the next few years. There's no way I'll be able to come back and be able to shoot my way into a slot. Right now, I can sign up on the waitlist, but that's a heck of risk for me to put in for leave well in advance, buy tickets to fly back to the U.S., load ammo and get all my gear together, only to risk being told, "sorry, no room for you. Better luck next year."

It already is broken up. The last nationals that had all divisions shooting during the same dates was 2004.

Are they really? Could a shooter be the 2011 Production and Limited National champion or the Open and L-10 champ? Do individual squads at the various Nationals have more than one division present?

I just assumed it was a pick and choose when you attended and event. I have yet to attend a Nationals.

Seek and ye shall find. http://www.uspsa-nationals.org/

• 3 months later...

The Nats are split up to an extent, but not all the way. I like the idea of having each Division on its own days. Then, someone could shoot Limited and Production, which you can't do with the current set.The current set would allow a competitor to compete in 2 Divisions if they didn't conflict with each other and that person had a slot for each division. Divisions on their own days would allow someone to compete in every Division if they wanted. I also agree with getting rid of slots. Why not just enter this match like every other match in the nation? Fill out the app, send in the money. More like the NPSC (National Police Shooting Championship), the more matches you enter, the more it costs. The more matches you enter, the more fun you have and stuff to win!

Edited by pigfish73

DO clubs get slots bases on Mission count?

Sections get the slots, based on the Mission Count for the whole Section. How they distribute those slots may be different from one Section to another. The USPSA by-laws say sections should distrubte the slots based on shooting performance...but that is not realistic in many circumstances (especially with so many divisions now).