Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why Load Long?

I see a lot of 40S&W reloads pushed way out to 1.2 and beyond.

While, I have ideas why people stretch their cartridges out, I want to know what you think about these stretched loads?

Would you say their mechanical benefits to these longer cartridges?

If there are advantages, are they best for a specific platform fi.1911/2011 or is it a good universal standard to stretch your OAL out as long as possible within your platform?

If there is no advantage, or even a disadvantage what is your argument?

Do many GM's load long?

Thank You

Edited by BoldasLions

That is what I read here too, reliability. BUT I short load my 40 S&W before because 1.180" OAL with lead on Schuemann barrel, it starts hitting the rifling, so i just short loaded to 1.125", it just ran flawlessly off from SVI tubes. It uses less powder too.

Per the case specs the max COAL for .40 S&W is 1.135". I've been researching minor .40 loads for myself and found most people minor load to 1.130" or 1.135" COAL.

What I do know is the depth of the bullet directly affects case pressure, kinda of the same result of increasing powder charge. So in that retrospect I thought they were loading long to decrease case pressure and keep the recoil soft as possible.

I recently tried 1.135 COAL in my Glock 35 and had one round not want to chamber without some force. Not sure it was a single round issue or the COAL, will have to do some more testing. I did like the recoil of the COAL and minor load.

I load them as long as I can make them reliably feed, in order to keep pressure as reasonable as possible. That said, in 9mm and .40 you can load them as long as the magazine will still fit them. In .45 (at least in mine), it seems to be the chamber/bore dimensions dictate max length more so than magazine length. Does anyone else see this?

I load them as long as I can make them reliably feed, in order to keep pressure as reasonable as possible. That said, in 9mm and .40 you can load them as long as the magazine will still fit them. In .45 (at least in mine), it seems to be the chamber/bore dimensions dictate max length more so than magazine length. Does anyone else see this?

You can't say that unilaterally. It depends on the type of bullet and the barrel. I have to load my 9mm very short because the bullet I'm using hits the rifling otherwise.

Loading longer helps with feeding and reduces pressure.

The 40 round is a higher pressure cartridge and we load our own. Not only does loading long help feeding on the STI/SVI platform, and reduce pressure, loading long also lowers the risk of bullet setback.

How does loading long reduce pressure for the same bullet speed?

I believe its not total pressure, but the initial pressure spike before the inertia of the bullet at rest is overcome and it starts moving. Deeper seated = increased initial pressure spike which can be messy...

I had to long load to get my 10 round Tripp mags to function in my 40 STI (at Tripp’s’ suggestion) It helped but were still unreliable when fully loaded. I had to switch to the 9 rounders and load them only to 8.

Im loading my .40's @ 1.230-1.235 cause I notice I get better accuracy cause the bullet has less distance to travel too the barrel and to reduce pressure. The deeper the bullet is seated the more pressure and the bullet has more distance till it travels to the barrel.

Loading long= more space in the case. Same powder boom in more space=less pressure.

And less pressure=less speed. So for the same power factor, how does this work?

I can see that with more space requiring more powder, the same absolute variation (say an extra .1 grain) would be a lower percentage variation so it is more forgiving.

Edited by bdpaz

loading long, you may have to bump the powder up by .1 or .2 to make the same PF.

Most of the long loading rounds is for feeding functionality, not pf or pressure. Best best is use starting loads and just find the right seating depth for your gun and then chrono various loads until you get the velocity you want.