Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scope rings?

jn_fsu

After alot of research I've decided to buy the Burris Fullfield TAC30 for my as my entry level scope for competing. I will be mounting this on my flat top AR. Now I'm trying to decide which brand of scope ring/mount to use. I've looked at alot of them but I'm not sure what's ideal. Honestly this is all new to me. I've tried the search feature but I guess it's not a "hot" topic. But I'm guessing quality scope rings/mounts are just as important as the scope its self or so I would think. But maybe I'm wrong. It wouldn't be the first time...

So far if I think I'm on the right track I've found a handful to select from but I'm open to options and suggestions.

Here are the brands I'm looking at.

Larue

JP

American Defense MFG

Burris REPR

Edited by jn_fsu

Hummm I think I've created a real topic burner with this one... lol

I'm sensing that this is either an ancient chinese secret or it doesn't really matter which I choose they all seem to work fine.

Am I close?

"You know, I have one simple request... And that is... to have sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!":roflol:

Any of those would work, Bobro is another option. Mainly you need to determine whether you want QD capability, and how much eye relief you need. The PEPR is a good bargain option, it is kind of a bummer to spend almost as much on the mount as you did on the optic! I have seen a number of guys posting online with their TAC30s in the PEPR mounts.

If you want the optic to sit a little higher, LaRue has a 1.93 version.

I have my TAC30 in a LaRue LT-139, I prefer the extended eye relief and standard height. Note the PEPR mounts don't extend as far forward.

I know the LaRue is a chunk of change initially, but it's going to last a lifetime and will probably hold several optics over its lifetime. If you want QD so you can go to BUIS for some reason, or you want several optics for your AR, you can switch them back and forth and have confidence that they will remain zeroed.

I have a LaRue mount with a 30mm Leupold and you can fuss about the price tag, but not the quality or performance. As far as wanting it higher due to the front post, have you shot one mounted lower? The front post is really not an issue. As far as eye relief goes, the eye relief of the scope should be available in the paperwork that came with it or on the website of the manufacturer.

Thanks Esskay! Now how do I determine how much eye relief or the correct scope position before I order a mount? Is there a way to measure?

The manufacturer does specify eye relief measurements... and it is pretty generous on the TAC30. However, I have come to realize that different people's eyesight can do funny things. There's the whole astigmatism issue with red dots, and the other day I was checking out a friend's rig and noticed he had his optic positioned way far back. I mounted the gun and the eye relief was way off for me. I asked him what the deal was and he said that was where the eye relief worked for him -- looked perfect, no scope shadow/etc. I couldn't imagine it but people's eyes perceive things differently, I guess.

Optimal positioning also depends on how you mount the gun -- your preferred LOP on your stock, how bladed or squared off your stance is, etc... all that affects where your eye ends up relative to the gun/optic.

If you have any buddies with similar types of setups, adjust the rifle to how you do yours, take a sight picture and see how the eye relief works for you. Then you can extrapolate to your own rig. If not, then might be best to just wait until you take delivery of the TAC30 and then figure out its positioning before you order a mount.

As I noted, I have an extended mount on mine, but plenty of guys don't, so it depends on what works for your shooting technique and eyes.

Of course, on the off chance you have a monolithic upper, a standard mount could be positioned anywhere.

Thanks Esskay! Now how do I determine how much eye relief or the correct scope position before I order a mount? Is there a way to measure?

The manufacturer does specify eye relief measurements... and it is pretty generous on the TAC30. However, I have come to realize that different people's eyesight can do funny things. There's the whole astigmatism issue with red dots, and the other day I was checking out a friend's rig and noticed he had his optic positioned way far back. I mounted the gun and the eye relief was way off for me. I asked him what the deal was and he said that was where the eye relief worked for him -- looked perfect, no scope shadow/etc. I couldn't imagine it but people's eyes perceive things differently, I guess.

Optimal positioning also depends on how you mount the gun -- your preferred LOP on your stock, how bladed or squared off your stance is, etc... all that affects where your eye ends up relative to the gun/optic.

If you have any buddies with similar types of setups, adjust the rifle to how you do yours, take a sight picture and see how the eye relief works for you. Then you can extrapolate to your own rig. If not, then might be best to just wait until you take delivery of the TAC30 and then figure out its positioning before you order a mount.

As I noted, I have an extended mount on mine, but plenty of guys don't, so it depends on what works for your shooting technique and eyes.

Of course, on the off chance you have a monolithic upper, a standard mount could be positioned anywhere.

Thanks again esskay! I'll check out some of the set ups my friends have and see if any work for me before ordering the mount.

I use the American defense mount with a burris xtr and have no complaints. Its similar in design and quality to the larue in my opinion and it costs less.

I'm leaning towards the American Defense mount especially with the fact a friend can get it for me in the $160ish range...

Edited by jn_fsu

I have owned most of the good ones and have decided to stick with ADM

I run them on several ARs including a 6.8 with a S&B that gets used hard for hunting.

I run the Scout version, it's plenty tough and holds and returns to zero

Hummm I think I've created a real topic burner with this one... lol

I'm sensing that this is either an ancient chinese secret or it doesn't really matter which I choose they all seem to work fine.

Am I close?

"You know, I have one simple request... And that is... to have sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!":roflol:

Not close at all. My guess is that it is difficult for most people to continually answer the same question over and over again when a simple search on scope mounts will turn up a wealth of info. If you can find the time to do a search for yourself there are at least 8 mount threads in the first two pages of a search for "scope mounts".

I use the American defense mount with a burris xtr and have no complaints. Its similar in design and quality to the larue in my opinion and it costs less.

I'm leaning towards the American Defense mount especially with the fact a friend can get it for me in the $160ish range...

They are far cheaper from Brownell's

Edited by smokshwn