Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Minor 124 gr MG FMJ soft shooting loads

gkjr

I have been shooting pistol (glock 17) for 6 months, and have shot 4 matches in the last 4 months in IDPA, USPSA stock/production. Within the last 3 months I have started reloading on a Dillon 550B. I have really focused on learning the fundamentals of shooting, 60/40 grip, trigger control/reset, front sight post. I have come along ways in the last 4 months with shooting, but now I want to take advantage of a good low felt recoil load. I have searched and searched for 124 MG FMJ minor low recoil. I have copied and pasted, annotated and keep a journal of the data I have collected. After loading 4000 rounds over the last couple months of Unique, Bullseye, and TG, I have yet to get the "feel" of a round that I am looking for or one that I would consider my pet load. I am shooting 4.0 gr of BE, 4.1 gr of TG, and 4.8 gr of UNQ and they all make minimum PF, but non are ones I really like the feel of. I am considering WSF, Clays, and N320 to see if one of these powders give me the felt recoil I am seeking. I do not care if it is clean or dirty as I clean my pistol religiously. What powders/grains would work well with a 124 gr MG FMJ to give me the soft felt recoil I am seeking? Should I switch to a 147 gr bullet? What loads do you recommend? Thank for any information.

Greg

Yes, IMO in order to get the felt recoil you are looking for you need to switch to a 147g bullet using a fast powder like Solo 1000, VV N320, WST, or Titegroup. 3.3g of VV N320 or Solo 1000 will give you the PF required.

Frank

+1.

I started with 115 gr factory loads, and noticed a difference

when I started reloading 124 grain bullets.

A year ago, I tried reloading 147's with WW231 and a large

difference for me - much softer feel - I could shoot faster.

Really love it - haven't tried the N320 powder - but the WW231

worked like a charm for me.

But, you might prefer the snap of a 124 bullet?

Good luck.

Jack

Yeah, I'm in agreement with the others here - move to a heavier bullet. My first experiment with this was in .40 with 165/180/200 grain bullets. The 200gr was so much softer than either, it didn't even feel like I was making minimum. Now I've tried it for 9mm in 95/124/147 grain and for Production, I like the 147 at 130 PF. Steel loads I like the 95 at about 105 PF. I like the 124 in 9mm Major at 170 PF.

All personal preference but you will probably find the best compromise with the 147 for Minor...it just cost more but up to you...

I started with 124 MG FMJ's and TG a few years back. I ordered some 147's from MG and to me personally I did not like the sluggishness of the 147's and have gone back to 124's for the foreseeable future. I did make the move to N 320 and feel it is a pretty soft load for 124's. I guess I am one of those who prefers just a little snap but the N320 loads are nothing like the TG was.

My load out of a G34:

124 CMJ 4.1 N320 @ 1.13. Makes 133 PF every time.:cheers:

But I also agree probably the softest loads will come from using 147's.

My recommendation would be to order a thousand and load them with about 3.6-3.8 TG at around 1.14 and see how you like the feel.

Thanks for all the replies. Snappy is exactly how I would describe the 124 gr loads. $15 per 1000 extra is worth finding a load that feels right. Too bad they are on back order at MG.

I am currently using CCI primers. Will there be any effect switching to federal primers?

Greg

Thanks for all the replies. Snappy is exactly how I would describe the 124 gr loads. $15 per 1000 extra is worth finding a load that feels right. Too bad they are on back order at MG.

I am currently using CCI primers. Will there be any effect switching to federal primers?

Greg

None at all. I am sure their will be a minor change to the whole formula as far a velocity but I'd bet you won't notice it. Federals are just alot softer (physically) than CCI's.

MG has not had a problem making bullets in a long time. I am surprised to see them out of stock on anything. Order them if they will let you and then call them to see how long they think the wait will be.

Greg

Try Manny Bragg at mannyusa.com and ask if he has the 147 in, he might...

Greg

Try Manny Bragg at mannyusa.com and ask if he has the 147 in, he might...

Manny Usa- Note: There is a Order Minumum of 6 Cases for bullet orders

Looks like he has them in stock.....6 case minimum? Not going to buy that many bullets, although it is a good price, $276 per case of 3000X6.

Montana Gold is only one week out on backorder, so thats not bad. 130 gr and 147 gr were the only 9mm I saw on backorder.

Manny Usa- Note: There is a Order Minumum of 6 Cases for bullet orders

Looks like he has them in stock.....6 case minimum? Not going to buy that many bullets, although it is a good price, $276 per case of 3000X6.

Montana Gold is only one week out on backorder, so thats not bad. 130 gr and 147 gr were the only 9mm I saw on backorder.

I believe if you call him, you can order less than 6 cases.

124gr bullet (I use Berry's) over Clays (not Universal Clays) shoots very soft, much softer than 147gr bullet over TiteGroup at same PF.

But, if you have access to and $$ to buy VV N320 - I'd suggest you use that powder.

When I was shooting Limited Minor, for practice loads I was using:

I never chrono'd these...knew it wouldn't make minor anyways lmfao

147gr Zero's

2.9gr Titegroup

1.065 OAL (have to check the binder at home on that)

.375 Crimp

On the far targets, you had to wait a while for the bullet to reach the steel :roflol:

But, there was NO RECOIL :goof:

For a nice soft shooting 124 grain load, I suggest Montana Gold 124 grain CMJ 4.6 grains of IMR SR7625, OAL 1.150, .376 crimp with Federal SPP. PF was 130.4 out of a 4.5 inch barrel XDM 9. Very accurate also. I too like N320 4.2 grains with same bulet, AOL, etc. I think 7625 is softer.

For a nice soft shooting 124 grain load, I suggest Montana Gold 124 grain CMJ 4.6 grains of IMR SR7625, OAL 1.150, .376 crimp with Federal SPP. PF was 130.4 out of a 4.5 inch barrel XDM 9. Very accurate also. I too like N320 4.2 grains with same bulet, AOL, etc. I think 7625 is softer.

I use IMR 4895 powder in my .308 loads, so reading an earlier post caught my attention. after reading that post talking about the IMR SR 7625 powder I have done some research on it. I have not found any significant information on this powder, and as the post stated, if it such a great powder why aren't more people using it? I am actually considering trying it, what is $25 if you find your pet load. I have a new gun store opening up across the street from my office, he is going to carry N320 and other in demand powders. I also live within 15 minutes of STI, Dawson Precision, and Larue Tactical. Just getting into the shooting game and realizing I have a lot of tools around me.

I use IMR 4895 powder in my .308 loads, so reading an earlier post caught my attention. after reading that post talking about the IMR SR 7625 powder I have done some research on it. I have not found any significant information on this powder, and as the post stated, if it such a great powder why aren't more people using it? I am actually considering trying it, what is $25 if you find your pet load. I have a new gun store opening up across the street from my office, he is going to carry N320 and other in demand powders. I also live within 15 minutes of STI, Dawson Precision, and Larue Tactical. Just getting into the shooting game and realizing I have a lot of tools around me.

You, bucky lastard ... LOL .. My closest store is at least 30 mins away.

IMR 7625 is good powder, try it, see if it works for you.

Don't expect someone who came across great discovery (prospector, competitive shooter/reloader, and so on) to share what they got with everyone.

IMR SR7625 was recommended to me by a local Grand Master production class shooter. I initially though he was FOS because I couldn't find anyone else shooting 7625 either. I bought a pound and loaded a bunch of rounds with several powder weights. My bullet is Montana Gold 124 CMJ. My OAL is 1.152. 4.3 grains would not operate the gun reliable. 4.4 did not make Power factor. 4.5 just made power factor. 4.6 (max) made 130.4 PF out of my XDM. It is not as hot as Titegroup, temperature wise. It fills the case nicely which helps to avoid a double charge. (You could fill the case with 3 charges of titegroup.) I find it to be a soft shooting accurate load. 7625 is cheaper than N320, but not by much. I have loads worked up for N320 and Titegroup for 124 and 147 grain CMJs. I prefer 7625 or N320. All you can do is test it out. Find what you like!

Don't expect someone who came across great discovery (prospector, competitive shooter/reloader, and so on) to share what they got with everyone.

I have been researching imr sr 7625 powder. Only data I can really find on it is major. I guess NOBODY wants this secret out. It is 40th on the burn chart right behind Power Pistol. I am picking up some VVN320 today, will shoot some rounds this evening and post.

Greg

Edited by gkjr

I have been researching imr sr 7625 powder. Only data I can really find on it is major. I guess NOBODY wants this secret out. It is 40th on the burn chart right behind Power Pistol. I am picking up some VVN320 today, will shoot some rounds this evening and post.

Greg

I have done some testing with IMR SR7625 and posted it on this forum :sight:

I don't care if few people like 7625. It makes it easier for me to find it when I want it! I recently attended the NRA convention and talked with the Folks at IMR. I was informed that 7625 was a slow seller and would no longer be available in 4 lb jugs (just ones and eights now). I showed some concern and the Rep said they had no plans to discontinue it, thank god. I recently shot a 7 stage steel plate match twice. First with 7625 loads and secondly with N320 loads. I could not tell the difference in accuracy or recoil.

Edited by Red Ryder

In my Glock 34 I use 12ggrn MG JHP with 4.2grns of Tight Group OAL 1.150 makes ball park 135pf all day! Shoots really good, never a problem with steel falling.

I have been using 4.1 Gr of TG, trying to find a load that is not as snappy.

GK