Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mossberg 930 vs CZ 712 Utility

suesstech

Costs, modifications, and accessories aside, which gun offers more for 3 gun as far as customer support from the manufacturer, available parts, quality, and overall performance. Looking for answers from shooters who own and shoot each.

I only ask because I was dead set on the 930 until the CZ came into the picture. Very nice to see competition at the lower price point...

Opinions?

My 930 is crazy reliable. For fun, recently I've been running Rem Managed Recoil birdshot (1100 fps / 7/8) and it still cycles every time. Although I have heard there were QC inconsistencies at one point for some owners. Either way, love mine. Good luck with your decision.

The price of the CZ was hard to pass up. I went with a 930 and happy about it. It is fast to reload, cycles fast, low recoil and not nearly as many parts as the Rem 1100 so maintenance should be easier. Overall better in all cases than my Rem 1100. I keep mine clean and lubed, so i haven't any issue with cycling. It is accurate with slugs. Last saturday at 40 yards, i put 2 slugs in one jagged hole. The other groups were almost as tight. It has cycled all loads i have loaded; low recoil slugs, walmart universal 7-1/2, Rem #5 high brass, etc.

The gun shop i bought the 930 had a CZ712 utility. I compared them side by side. The CZ had a better barrel setup for 3gun and there are mag extension available. It wouldn't have been a bad choice. The negative was the weird forarm assembly and the stock seemed very cheap. I may have been fine, but the 930 seemed built better.

The only negative about mossberg is the costumer service. It has good people, but shipping warranty parts is slow as Christmas. I had a small part break. They replaced it no problem, but it took a lonnnnng time to get here.

Edited by gotigers

Saw a few of 930's choke at LaRue, and it wasn't dust related. Not saying CZ712 would fare better, but the 930 doesn't look like the answer to inexpensive entry level SG.

trapr

Trapr,

Was it the gun itself that messed up, or crap ammo that caused it?

I didnt see a CZ at the TXMGC, may have missed one. I did see some 930s/M2/FN/Remingtons. I worked stage 1(all shot gun), so I saw quite a few shotguns. On my stage it was mostly failures to eject the spent shell.

I tried to talked to most the guys running the 930s to see how they like it and how it was running. No one really mentioned any hiccups at the match, but that doesnt mean it didnt happen.

I've been pleased with my CZ. At today's match, I borrowed 3 rounds of low recoil buck and it wouldn't cycle it....kind of threw me off on that stage.

All but one other guy and myself could not take down the steel because they were running non-choked guns. My 20" barrel worked great with a modified choke. I may even open it up some with the IC choke as the buckshot patterns were ridiculously tight.

The CZ is stupid easy to take apart and doesn't have many parts. I'm glad I got mine even if the extension sticks out a bit.

I've shot the thing a bunch with a lot of different ammo...maybe 150 rounds....cleaned it but was really wasting my time.

Estate heavy game, S&B heavy game, AA target, Rem Gunclub, Federal and winchester law enforcement slugs, and a bunch of old paper stuff I picked up at a gunshow. The only stuff that's given me trouble is the Fiocchi slugs and buck and the remmy light recoil buck I shot today. Buck isn't used that often but I need to figure out what works. Kind of sucks to have to do that when my local club only has shotgun matches once every couple months and only 3 or 4 rounds of buck are needed.

I haven't run any wally world crap through it yet as I stocked up on ammo with a cabela's gift card!

• 1 month later...

Just picked up the CZ. First impression just from picking it up is good. It's pretty solid for a $400 gun. I still need to grab an extended tube, FO bead sight replacment and some other things. At a quick glance the receiver looks just like an M1 though. For me, being novice to 3 gun this should last me a while..

Got lucky, found a guy who had just bought it but ran into some financial issues and sold it to me for $360 :) He only had 10 rounds through it...

A few quick CZ comments....I have "heard" that if you open up the gas ports 15 thousanths each they will run ANYTHING. With a welded up lifter....(Jeff Cockrum already has the specs..."I heard") a modicum of loading port opening and polishing, a Nordic Components Tube...(yes they already make them), they make really nice guns. They have very light recoil, seem to be very accurate with slugs and the chokes are identical to the old Benelli M1 chokes so there are lots of choices out there. The down side is that because of the stock design it is harder than it should be to shorten and put on a good recoil pad. It can be done, but it isn't as easy as it looks. All of this of course is supposition as I haven't seen one yet nor played with one or did any of the mods listed I promise :rolleyes:

The down side is that because of the stock design it is harder than it should be to shorten and put on a good recoil pad. It can be done, but it isn't as easy as it looks.

Get one with the wood stock, the recoil pad is easy then.

Hopefully they'll get a little more popular so that Nordic will build a large bolt handle. I've seen one made to fit but making one is a skill I lack.. The stock handle kinda sucks...

More on the CZ. I ordered a benelli nova extension tube from Nordic fits great. I did buy a nordic clamp but the gap between the barrel and tube is more then the clamp allows. I pick up my larger bolt handles tomorrow from my machinist friend. I have 3 different handles to test. Then he might start selling them. The stock might not be that hard to shorten since it is hollow but I guess it depends on your skill and how much you cut off. I have long arms so I just added a better recoil pad.

I had planned to buy a CZ but ended up trading a Glock G22 even for a NIB 930SPX Mossberg. I opened up the loading port and welded up the lifter and it has been perfect. I shoots anything I put in it.