Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spreader Shells

Looking for info on spreader shells for my Rem 1100.

Can you purchase these shells factory loaded and where?

What distance are they effective?

What choke works the best?

I shoot a open shotgun JP and need some help on flying birds with my optics, will spreaders help with flying birds?

I can handle everything on the ground with my Imp choke but I hear talk about spreaders and some matches stated they are allowed and you may need them.

Thanks for your help

Louie

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm....I guess I'll spring for a *box* of Fiocchi's before I buy a case.

I think shooting sporting clays or five-stand with a good coach will do more for hitting birds that foo-foo ammo will, however. People shoot sporting and skeet with tight chokes all the time.

Too, if you're into further torture, you can just load them yourselves. Claybusters has spreader wads and you're good to go. Oh, and you use spreaders all the time in Sporting Clays. After all, you get a couple in your face or < 15 yard left to right/right to left screamers, and want some lead buddies to make birds disappear, spreaders work great. Of course, I'm all for spinning in a Cylinder/Skeet choke with 8's or 9's and getting stupid too. :D

Rich

Eric:

Since Todd Salmon let the cat out of the bag about spreaders in front sight, I must set the record straight! For quite a while Benny Hill and I covertly used them in matches all across the country, and then clued Todd in. I got the low down on them from a Sporting Clay shooter who happened to be " State Champion" in 5 states all in one year. He stated that the "mid level " shooters always want to change chokes and half the time forget what is in the gun. He said, ALL the top guys stayed with one choke...XXXX, and just used spreaders for the closer shots. I may be slow, but not to stupid, so I jumped on the spreader idea. You realy have to stop and ask yourself why spreaders are even offered for sale.....It ain't for Johny one choke to shoot a round of clays! Benny and I have been known to mix spreaders and regular shot as the course demands, but we would look kind of wierd changing chokes on the middle of "the Benelli bridge".

Cheryl plan on using quite a few at Jeffs match ;) KURTM

• 10 months later...

Erik,

I haven't changed chokes in my Grams Benelli since I got it. I choke with shot. It gives me more options. I do believe as I learn more about this game that the best way is both ways. I just don't have enough data on all of it yet. But think about an IMP/Mod and heavy #6's for those 30 yard plates and then nice big fat spreaders for clays on the same stage! Now that is cool!

:-)

Matt

For those of us who load em, there are shot sizes available smaller than 9's. I bought 5# of 10's and 5# of 12's as a novelty. Imagine a shot cloud with 2375 pellets per ounce? :blink::lol: Though I haven't really found a need for these loads as yet. The 10's are 865 per ounce, the 12's 2375. The 10's are .5 gr each, the 12's are .2 gr each. Maybe I'll load some and see how they do on some clays. Anything beyond 15 yards would need 9's or better I suspect.

Vince

Spreader wads have been around for 20 years- Simple usually a post down the middle. The best way to "spread" a pattern is use extremely soft shot or hammer it so that it is not round when it hits the air the non uniform aerodynamics on each different shaped piece of shot will do the job additionally remove the plastic leafs on the wad before loading, or better yet, get gas seals and wads only, no leafs from Ballastic products reloading. They will also provide reloading information for them.

• 2 years later...