Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suggestions for welding up a Novak cut

Anopsis

I have too much invested in the slide to scrap it, and it currently has a Novak Extreme Duty adjustable. As I get older eyes, I want to switch to a Caspian Bomar-style that I have. I'm looking for a recommendation on who to have weld it up and recut for the Bomar.

Thanks!

post-8629-011938500 1303106471_thumb.jpg

You don't have to weld it up to get a Bo-mar style rear sight installed. I've designed a base that uses the existing cut for both the fixed and adjustable sight.

If you do not want to go the easy way I recommend Jim Stroh of Alpha Precision. He welded up ap a bulls eye gun for me with a funky site cut and then installed

Bo-mars. A detonics combat master welded up and Bo-mars installed. You can not tell that it did not come from the factory that way. One was a blued gun and one was

stainless. I do not know what he charges now but he sure does good work.

I'm a bit confused by the alternate sight base concept. The example posted above looks like the base on my Caspian sight, and bears no resemblance to a Novak. What am I missing here?

You are missing that Rich made a base that fits in the Novak cut. Just call him and buy one if you want to save a lot of time and money.

I got to the point of welding up the slide took too much time and putting all that heat into the slide isn't that good for it. Not to mention it can make tapping the slide difficult(broken taps). Plus I blend the dove tail of the base to match the slide radius for a clean look.

Later,

Rich

Rich it is!

I could be wrong, but I don't think your base as-is will be a direct fit in this case, as the Extreme Duty has a different cut than the Novak Lo Mount. I have included pics so anyone not familiar with the difference can see what I'm talking about.

However, the good news (for me, at least) is if I send it to Rich then I don't have to worry about the whys and hows any longer; I'll let the expert deal with that. Rich, tell me what you think and I'll send it your way.

Thanks!

EDIT: In the pics the Colt-branded sight is a standard Novak cut, the bottom sight is the Novak ED adjustable (factory on my Para SX1640J) and a Caspian adjustable.

post-8629-035438700 1303306669_thumb.jpg

post-8629-027438700 1303306680_thumb.jpg

post-8629-032944400 1303306691_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anopsis

Rich,

Will your Bomar base allow it to be installed in a Colt Series 80? As it is now, all the Bomar's I have seen on a Series 80 has to have the rear sight blade hang off the back of the slide to clear the Series 80 internal parts in the slide.

Thanks

Kevin