Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New reloading bench?

JayJayJay

I am still waiting for the new 550B I ordered from Brian. So far I got the scale and some small parts I ordered from LEE. But the question is will I have the right work area to do this. I just installed a new air conditioning unit in the garage yesterday also. My wife is mad as a Hornet because I am spending money on a hobby I am not even sure I will like.

post-31107-081112200 1302891272_thumb.jp

If it is anchored to the floor and wall then that should about do it. If it is not / can't be anchored to the floor then you'll want to find a way to stack some serious weight on it. If the top is single thickness plywood then you may need to add some additional material/bracing to keep it from flexing.

If it is anchored to the floor and wall then that should about do it. If it is not / can't be anchored to the floor then you'll want to find a way to stack some serious weight on it. If the top is single thickness plywood then you may need to add some additional material/bracing to keep it from flexing.

+1

Yeah....that one looks like it's going to wobble a bit once you get the 550 cranking....especially if you decide to start doing rifle calibers. Bolt it to the wall or your shelves or everything on them will fall off before you get through your first tube of primers!

Edited by fastmtnbiker33w

The entire top of the table is 8 feet long 2 x 4's from front to rear. I than put a 3/4 inch piece of ply wood on top of that. The table is very heavy but I guess it may wobble so I guess I better figure out something. Thanks guys. Also I was wondering how long the screws / bolts are with the 550B hardware because I will have to drill all the way through the 3/4 plywood and the 2x4 (2 3/4 inch total).

Edited by JayJayJay

It doesn't look like its supported in at the front corner. Where ever you mount your press its going to need to support some serious weight so it will be stable. I have my bench cantilevered out from the wall but I can stand on the front edge were the press is.

I don't remember my mounts coming with bolts for anchor it, only bots to attach the press to the mount. You may need to make a trip to the hardware store for bolts and nuts.

Another thing I did, since my bench is wood, was to attach a wire to the mount. I wrapped it around the the bolt underneath the bench and ran it to the wall anchor bolt at the foundation of the garage wall. That way the press is grounded so static can't build up. Probably overkill but powder no longer sticks to the walls of the powder measure.

Edited by TMC

... My wife is mad as a Hornet because I am spending money on a hobby I am not even sure I will like.

Good luck with the wife :roflol:

It doesn't look like its supported in at the front corner. Where ever you mount your press its going to need to support some serious weight so it will be stable. I have my bench cantilevered out from the wall but I can stand on the front edge were the press is.

+1 to monster bracing wherever you position your press. Like others have said, bolt the bench to the wall.

Another thing I did, since my bench is wood, was to attach a wire to the mount. I wrapped it around the the bolt underneath the bench and ran it to the wall anchor bolt at the foundation of the garage wall. That way the press is grounded so static can't build up. Probably overkill but powder no longer sticks to the walls of the powder measure.

TMC - That's a great idea! I'm gonna use that.

My comments for JJJ:

Maybe too late now, but those 2 bys would be more rigid if layed up on edge - like a torsion box frame. I'd still skin it with ply like you did and I'd also add a .25" melamine sheet for a top surface to make it easy to clean. If your ply already has a smooth face, maybe not needed.

You may want to reconsider the position of your supply shelf. It looks to be directly in front of your electrical service panel.

Looking good though. I'm remodeling the house this year and hope to include a reloading/work bench in the plans.

The supply shelf is not bolted or secured to the work desk. I may have to move it to the ground and it will not fit under the table (I tried).

I will secure the table to the wall as soon as I can get to the hardware store or maybe even to the floor.

Edited by JayJayJay

You'll see if it needs to be bolted to the bench, first reason to reload is better or tuned to your pistol ammo, second is money saved. Shoot much at all and you'll recoup the money you spent on equipment this year.

Show her the money saved over factory ammo and she'll understand that.

Reloading a great hobby, lots of fun when your shooting gets better and your saving money also, take her with you even if she doesn't want to shoot competition she might enjoy an afternoon at the range.

You'll see if it needs to be bolted to the bench, first reason to reload is better or tuned to your pistol ammo, second is money saved. Shoot much at all and you'll recoup the money you spent on equipment this year.

Show her the money saved over factory ammo and she'll understand that.

Reloading a great hobby, lots of fun when your shooting gets better and your saving money also, take her with you even if she doesn't want to shoot competition she might enjoy an afternoon at the range.

She hates guns and I have been with her for 15 years. I have yet to get her to come down and watch a match but I do not like to shoe shop with her. So I understand when I tell her I am not in the mood to go down to the mall to look for new high heels. :sight:

More drawers and "spots" to stick and seperate odd shaped tools.

Books, calipers, micrometers, good gun cleaning tools, press tooling, spare press parts, chemicals, case prep tools, scales, tons (literally) of bullets, boxes with instructions, more books, hanging area for guncases/bags, stuck case dies, lube area, tumbler space, low moisture powder storage area, safe to put the wife in (recommend three times the size you think you need), 3x5 note box for load data, gun cleaning area with clamp, bench brush and dustpan, comfy stool, more shelves, ammo boxes, heavy vice with wood clamps made from your workbench scraps, pin up....

Your bench looks nice! Add a half depth shelf along the back wall about 15" above the ground under the main bench, set back far enough so you don't hit your shins.

A top of the line balance scale is a must (rcbs). I filled my 2x6 bench with filler then poly, a hard flat surface is important. But too flat and hard is almost worse than plain old 2x4's. Try chasing a primer across a marble floor.

The supply shelf is not bolted or secured to the work desk. I may have to move it to the ground and it will not fit under the table (I tried).

+1k.

You might want to reconsider blocking your home's circuit breaker panel with the shelves. Sometimes you just don't want to unstack stuff to reach it. :surprise:

+1k.

You might want to reconsider blocking your home's circuit breaker panel with the shelves. Sometimes you just don't want to unstack stuff to reach it. :surprise:

Can you say CODE violation? You may want to check your local electrical code. Ill bet it says you need 36in clearance

+1k.

Not a easy thing to do in the dark

+1k.

Not a easy thing to do in the dark

Never thought of it that way, thanks. :rolleyes:

I got the Dillion 550 today and I spent hours putting it together. I am still not done because I do not have any bullets and have still not ordered any. I did run a few brass trough to get a feel of how the 1st station deprimes and resizes the brass. I also messed around with the 2nd station trying to figured out how much flare I needed on the brass. The Dillion installation book said about .020 on the digital caliper thingy. So I tried to get it set for that and I spent over an hour on that. :angry2: So far I am having a slow and difficult time placing thing together. I had to run down to the hardware store to get longer bolts to secure the Dillion on the work table. I also had to cut out a notch off the wood because when I pull the handle down it was hitting the table. I also secured the table to the floor and the wall so this table is SUPER secure now. :blush:

:excl::sick: As you can see I was able to move the shelves under the work table. I also placed all the powders, primers and unfired store bought bullets in another area of the garage because I was afraid the kids were going to hurt themselves. I also now have to pull off the handle when I am not using the 550 because I made a huge mistake and let my 5 year old daughter use the press, she resized and deprimed only (I do not have any powder, primers or bullets in the 550 yet.). An hour later I caught her in the garage doing it all by herself. That is why I took off the handle and moved all the dangerous stuff away from the work area. :sick::excl:

post-31107-045883500 1303015636_thumb.jp

post-31107-068909300 1303015649_thumb.jp

Edited by JayJayJay

Taking the handle off might get old pretty quick. But I definitely understand and agree why you would do that after saying you caught your daughter playing with it.

Maybe a cheap and easy work around is picking up a U Bar bicycle lock. That way it would take you seconds to take it on and off, instead of having to unbolt the handle.

Something like this may work U Bar Bike lock

That was just a quick google search to give you an idea. I'm sure there are tons of them online and in sporting goods stores to choose from in various prices and sizes.

Just my .02

I believe Dillon makes a dust cover that locks. You can kill two birds with one stone. Keep dust off the press and the kids from playing with it.

+1 Dillon does make a cover with an accessory cable lock. Good both for cleanliness and safety.

BTW - if you're anything like me, that's the cleanest that bench will ever look. It only goes downhill from here on :roflol:

I believe Dillon makes a dust cover that locks. You can kill two birds with one stone. Keep dust off the press and the kids from playing with it.

+1 Dillon does make a cover with an accessory cable lock. Good both for cleanliness and safety.

BTW - if you're anything like me, that's the cleanest that bench will ever look. It only goes downhill from here on :roflol:

I'm glad I'm not the only slob on this forum. :cheers: I seem to be able to only keep the area where I have the brass and bullets on hand clean. The rest of the bench is a nightmare. It doesn't help that it doubles as my bicycle wheel building bench.

I have mine mounted to an old dresser..... :roflol:

img2362m.jpg

It actually works great, I use the drawers for stocking everything :ph34r:

Now you can use the Dillion scale not only for powders but also>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>? :cheers:

Edited by JayJayJay