Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Suggestions for Single Stack

Tweeter400

I am hoping some of you can give me direction with a single stack division 1911. I currently own a colt 1991, and a colt ss mark IV. I don't know if I should modify one of my existing 1911's (trigger job, parts, etc.), or trade one of them in for an STI or something else that is Single Stack ready? If I should trade in, what should I go with?

Thanks!

I don't shoot SS, but I'd say shoot what you have first. Once you get your feet wet and experience what others are using, you'll get a better idea of what you want. ;) Shoot your own gun and see how you do. If you truly feel it's holding you back then try a shooting with someone else's stuff. See if it makes a difference before you make your mind up. IMHO, too many people get lost on the equipment race and "what's hot" instead of just shooting. After all, we do this because it's fun right?

Edited by KyroWebs

The matches I've attended had a broad spectrum of 1911 brands. But, what most of SS shooters especially like is how adaptable the 1911 is to our individual preferences. Shoot your Colt, if you learn there is a tweak you'd like, Colts are just as tweakable as any other.

I don't shoot SS, but I'd say shoot what you have first. Once you get your feet wet and experience what others are using, you'll get a better idea of what you want. ;) Shoot your own gun and see how you do. If you truly feel it's holding you back then try a shooting with someone else's stuff. See if it makes a difference before you make your mind up. IMHO, too many people get lost on the equipment race and "what's hot" instead of just shooting. After all, we do this because it's fun right?

I actually grew up shooting my 1911's, and do shoot SS every once in awhile. I have been hitting production and limited more though. I don't feel the gun is holding me back too much, but both guns are 100% stock. I talked to a local 1911 gunsmith, and he said to get a trigger job on either gun would cost around $250-300. This is a full competition trigger job though. Then I would also need to upgrade sights, etc. So for that kind of money, I was thinking it might be better for me to trade one of mine in, and upgrade to a 1911 that is more competition ready? Or is it better to use one of my current guns as a good base to build a competition gun?

+1 to all of the above. Try not to fall into the trap of over-customizing your 1911; it's easy to do when you start seeing mods on other guns.

Go slow, shoot what you have, plan each modification like it'll be the only one you'll ever be allowed to make.

EDIT: just saw your reply. If your gun is stock and a smith wants $250 for an action job, run away.

You're on the correct path though, as you don't want to sink more money into your current platform than what is reasonable. Just don't go overboard in any direction, since as little as you shoot SS the return may not justify the cost.

Edited by Anopsis

You don't say who your gunsmith is, but $250 is pretty pricey for a trigger job unless he's one of the top smiths.

I'd shoot as is for a couple of matches, and check out what the other SS guys are running to determine your own preferences. The biggest mistake to make early on is to overspend on equipment that is ALMOST what you end up wanting or needing (ask me how I know...).

That said, sights (FO front and adjustable rear sight), trigger job and a magwell will go a long way towards making a good stock gun a dedicated race gun. If you have basic skills and can follow instructions, it's easy to swap out sights and install a magwell yourself. If you have just a little more skill and are comfortable doing a complete disassembly/reassembly, you can install one of the "drop in" trigger jobs that should get you running in the 2-3 lb range. If you figure $150 for sights, 100-150 for a magwell (Dawson or Techwear), and 135 for the drop in trigger job (typically sear, disco, sear spring, and hammer), and are willing to spend a few hours installing and tweaking, you can have a pretty nice race gun for under $400, plus you'll still have your stock parts. If you can tweak your current trigger just a little, work with a smaller magwell, and just paint or replace your front sight, you can cut that cost substantially.

I shoot a lot of Single Stack, including the WSSSC and Nationals.

You have so many options that it will boggle the mind.

At a minimum you need decent sights (adjustable?) and a mag well. (~$100?)

The trigger job is, in my opinion, mandatory. The price the gunsmith gave you may be including upgrading your fire controls to better quality parts. I can tell you that my SV parts which are very expensive have had more than 50,000 rounds down the pipe and it is still incredible. Now Kodiak Precision did the trigger job. Don is very well known for his trigger jobs. He is not cheap. (~$200+)

Other gunsmith may do it cheaper and there are a whole bunch of good ones referenced in this forum.

If so inclined, you could purchased the C&S trigger kits and do it your self. (~$149)

I know many folks who have purchased a Trojan and then sent it for a reliability and trigger job. (~$900+200)

You could purchase a SA, Nowlin, Baer, Wilson for $1500+

I would recommend a S&A, Brown, etc mag well and a trigger job. A trigger job on your existing parts could be as little as $60. Typically the gunsmith would stone the hammer and sear, adjust the sear spring (an important issue), maybe replace the mag well spring. More time on the trigger job = more money. Honestly you might not need a two hundred + dollar trigger job.

Edited by pjb45

Tweeter400:

My gunsmith who does work for a couple of the top 10 Steel Challenge & USPSA Open Shooters only charged me $35.00 for a competition 2.5# trigger job om my Springfield Loaded Stainless Target 9mm. I shoot SS and all I did was the trigger job, green fiber optic front sight, and VZ G-10 black slim grips. I use Tripp Corba 10 round stainless mags. I had the entire gun bead blasted to satin stainless (just for looks), same gunsmith did the bead blasting for $30.00. What's important is that you can shoot your gun quickly & accurately. Then tweak it as needed, no need to spend alot of money on a SS gun. I've put approx. $170.00 into the gun less the cost of the mags and see no more future work. Gun shoots 100% not one hitch in over 7,000 rounds.

If I were you I'd find another gunsmith.

I would consider selling your current gun on Gunbroker etc, there are alot of people that like Colt 1911s. You will get far more money selling it than trading it. The basic Wilson guns now start at 2600.00. They are excellent guns but pricey. I have 5 Wilson Single Stack guns and two STI SSs, a Trojan and a USPSA Model. For the money you can't beat the STIs in my opinion. They are very accurate and basically ready to go. You should be able to get a nice trigger job done on them for around $50.00 tops unless you start replacing parts which is really unnecessary in the beginning. That is my take based on guns I own for what it is worth.

Edited by Jaxshooter

I shoot an almost stock Colt '91 in IDPA, and a modded one in Single Stack, and don't see much difference. That is, the guns came with decent sights (I removed the rear dots), and the trigger isn't "match", but it's not bad, either. Get enough (good) mags, and maybe an add-on magwell funnel, and go for it.

The option ion 1911's are enormous. It seems another manufacturer is announcing his version every few months. At one time the Dan Wesson 1911's were absolute bargains for the money in terms of $ for the quality - recently they have increased their price point. As usual you get what you pay for with the middle to high priced guns offering better parts, smoother triggers, and custom features such as checkering of the frame, etc.

Thanks for all the replies! The gunsmith is a local guy where I live, but I also was considering Canyon Creek, as he is not too far from me either. Has anyone had him do any 1911 work?

Rich will take good care of you, his does great work.

Pat