Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR steel charging handles - yay or nay?

MickB

DS Arms now has steel charging handles, $45.

http://www.dsarms.com/ZM4_AR15-Steel-Charging-handle-complete-with-standard-latch---ZM48518S/productinfo/ZM48518S/

This is what the Brownell's unit was supposed to be. $55 with extended latch;

http://www.dsarms.com/ZM4_AR15-Steel-Charging-handle-complete-with-extended-latch---ZM48518SE/productinfo/ZM48518SE/

Mick

DPMS Steel handle on sale now at DPMS for 59.95

Edited by MickB

• 2 months later...

There are a lot of broken charging handles in this thread. The issue I have is the reports are very SHORT on details. What was it made of, who made it and where did it break are very important questions. To simply state that a Brand X steel charging handle is stronger than any aluminum variant is disingenuous.

I would dare say that a charging handle properly machined from a 7075-T6 forging is indestructable. A Colt charging handle would be a good example. I would have to guess that any bent or broken charging handles were made from 6061 aluminum which is a very poor choice for ANY piece that is part of the operating system on an AR-15. I am willing to go out on a limb and say that a 7075-T6 charging handle can't be bent or broken. At 74-78K psi tensile strength and 63-69K psi yield strength, you would have to be SERIOUSLY abusing your rifle to break or bend it.

A charging handle made from 1144 stress proof (DSA) is undoubtedly a strong piece but I'm not quite sure it is better. DPMS does not state what type of steel their charging handle is made from. I have to believe it is a price point part as 7075-T6 is around twice the cost of any steel that a charging handle could be made from.

I work for Brownells. We have a new folding charging handle made of 7075-T6 aluminum that our designer cycled over 1000 times, wearing a welding glove and slamming it back, no problems, no bending. Single sided so takes some getting used to. Stock #080-000-819.

DPMS steel handle and a Badger Ordinance oversized latch.

after the first roll pin snapped off and the latch hit me in the face, I reinstalled a new roll pin and then drifted in a length of really tiny drill rod and then peened over the edges. That being said I’ve now jinxed myself for Rocky Mountain and will need to buy a spare.

Badger Ordinance oversized latch...

After having folded one over just shooting from the bench I became very leery of them on a hard use gun. I was a bit shocked how easily it bent.

I don't have a steel one. Mine if a RRA aluminum with the badger charging handle. The handle is alum, and I can tell you from experience that the handle has much flex when racking with one hand only holding the handle, not holding both sides. I think holding both sides of the handle defeats the purpose of a tactical or over sized charging handle. I don't know if it's leverage causing this but when racking with one hand on the badger ordinance tactical latch, you can see the flex in the CH arm. I wouldn't be suprised if it breaks after repetitive use.

On a side note, I had a DPMS handle and was slightly more sturdy than the RRA, and my friend has a Colt aluminum and it is much more sturdy than either the DPMS or the RRA. Not sure if it is a consistent thing run to run or something predictable, but just thought I would mention.

I've wondered why the BCM were so expensive when compared to other CH's and now I know they are steel. Mark Gale raises a good point regarding the aluminum alloys (see my sentance above regarding colt). Now, I intend to buy a Daniel defense and give it a try since I know DD is truly MilSpec it would/should be 7075 alum.

Edited by Hamma Slamma

Give ours a try.......made from the milspec 7075 forging. Machined to give you the largest cross section area of any charge handle out there. It is more rigid than any milspec machined charge handle and we'll put it up against any steel one as well.

It's "beefy"

charge_handle_front.jpg

charge_handle_tach_latch.jpg

std latch

tac latch

You won't be sorry.

Tim

Edited by TRUBL

Yes the Nordic one is THE strongest on the market. I have been running them now for almost 6 months and they are great! The only thing I have found is that they actually are selling a great part for another use and don't know it (although I told Kenny in passing at the High Plains Match). They also work GREAT in suppressed firearms due to the extra material on the top compaired to other types of charging handles. The gas simply has no place to go on the top of the handle. You can't possibly get a stronger charging handle. KurtM

I run a BCM. At BRM3G this year, my buffer retaining pin came loose and locked up my rifle. I took my charging handle and slammed it repeatedly into a 4X4 post at the SASS range to try and clear it on the clock. I bet I put more stress on it than most people do in the life of a gun (it was 10 or more smacks as hard as I could hit it with). I dont think you can get much better than yet. I still use it on my gun.