Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Want to start reloading.

So I want to start reloading .40 rounds but I have no idea where to start researching on How, What equipment to start with, and if it is even worth it. Is there a "Realoading for Dummies" book or something? And what is a good machine to start with on a small budget? Thank you in advance for any information given.

Posted on my HTC Thunderbolt.

The biggest difference between presses are single stage and progressive. Single stage, as the name implies, you can only do one step at a time. Progressive has multiple cases, and each case does a different action for each stroke (deprime, seat primer, powder, bullet, resize, swage, etc).

Dillon is one of the more popular ones on this board, with a lot of help setting up and getting reloading.

As far as reloading for dummies, maybe try some YouTube videos to become familiar with the process, language, and what might be right for you.

For a small budget, it's hard to beat Dillon's Square Deal B. It comes set up as a basic introduction to reloading, and comes with just about everything you would need to start, minus components.

If you're worried about price, look at what it will save you, depending on your volume of shooting. Right now I'm loading 9mm at about 4 cents brass (which is reusable), 9 something cents a bullet for 147 gr. Zero's, 3 something cents for powder and 2.5-3.3 cents for primers. That's 19cents a bullet, 15 cents a bullet with re-used brass. A box of 50 is running me $7.50ish. The cheapest American Eagle i've seen is 12-14 bucks a box. You can see where that will add up, even more so with .40!

Good luck to ya, and look around here, you'll be able to find all the pointers you will need here too!

So I want to start reloading .40 rounds on a small budget?

Depends on:

1. how small a budget?

2. how many rounds do you shoot/month?

3. how much time do you have to reload per month?

4. best to look at Dillon's Which Reloader is for You

5. great if you read the basic for beginner's reloading forum right here

6. talk to guys in your shooting club

After you've done that, it will all be crystal clear:((

Good luck,

Jack

So I want to start reloading .40 rounds on a small budget?

Depends on:

1. how small a budget? $200-$400 for reloader and some components to start and see if i can

2. how many rounds do you shoot/month? 500-700 Rounds if i get out for my practice days

3. how much time do you have to reload per month? as much as needed if the money holds out

4. best to look at Dillon's Which Reloader is for You will do that

5. great if you read the basic for beginner's reloading forum right here will do that

6. talk to guys in your shooting club most everyone here buy's or gets rounds reloaded. :)

After you've done that, it will all be crystal clear:((

Good luck,

Jack

And you were right.. most of it is clear atm. just need to see which Reloader and Read further into forums.

Searched youtube also... LOTS to sort through. it's gonna be a long research day it think. Thank you so far for the help

If you can bump your $400 budget up to $500,

I just bought a Square Deal, 4 extra primer

tubes, a primer flipper, scale & caliper from

Brian Enos for $500.

And, yes, you can reload .40.

That will take less than 3 hours/month to reload

700 rounds - less than an hour a week.

You'll save a lot of money - just start

slowly, read this column a lot (about

reloading .40), start out with .40 minor

to start, and then work up slowly to .40

major.

Sounds like you have the time, and the

interest - and you will start shooting

more than 700 rounds per month once you

start reloading.

You will need access to a chrono, and some

way to clean your brass (I'd look as cheap

as possible), but if you buy clean brass

and know someone at the club who has a

chrono - you can save that $200.

Good luck with it.

Jack

as someone who just recently got into reloading, allow me to share my own thoughts from a newbie standpoint instead of a die-hard expert standpoint.

Knowing very little about reloading, it did not make sense to me to invest $600-1000 on a dillon progressive machine, especially because I know I'm impatient and I know it would be a pain to get started with everything I had to learn. I also knew that step one was going to be to experiment and work up some loads in small lots to see what my gun likes and what i feel like shooting. So it made sense to me to start with a single-stage press, so I could start doing things immediately, and do things one step at a time. I believe the experience will be very helpful when i step up to a progressive press, and all the equipment will still be useful. Especially for small lots, and working up new loads and stuff.

All you really need to get started is a lee breechlock challenger kit (currently $89 on sale at cabelas) and a set of .40 dies (about $35-40).

Other stuff that would be helpful, and you will eventually want anyway might include an easier to use scale, and a tumbler for cleaning brass (cabelas has a tumbler kit on sale too, with tumbler, strainer, corn-cob media and polish for $55).

Of course you are shooting more than me, so the time required to load 500-700 rounds may get burdensome. I seem to be able to load 50-80 rounds per hour as a newbie taking my time, so for the 250-400 rounds I shoot each month, it doesn't take too long. I can load 50-100 rounds to relax before bedtime and leave most of the equipment set up so i can do it again the next night.

I expect I'll do this until next winter before i spring for a fancier setup, but of course the inexpensive single-stage press will still get used. For example, it's small and portable enough to just take with me to the range and spend some time experimenting loading up 5-10 cartridges at a time with gradually increasing (or decreasing) charges for chrono or accuracy testing.

as much as you shoot it wont take you long to get in the green. If your in shooting for the long haul you should probably go ahead and spend a few more dollars on a square deal if your just planning on reloading pistol rounds. you can find them and 550s a lot on the classifieds. just read all you can find on reloading, books and the internet for a few weeks and you will know the process better. as long as you are safe and know the basics its not that hard. It seems really overwhelming at first but after a month or so you will know it well

1. 2-3 reloading manuals

2. A case or 2 of Montana Gold bullets, 4 lb jug of powder, 5000 pistol primers, Federal, CCI, or Winchester.

3. Hornady Lock N Load AP, Dillon 650 . Research in that order. Buy the one that fits your budget!

4. Redding Pro Dies where the seating and Taper crimp are separate (for 5 station presses Hornady AP or dillon 650).

5. Powder check die or Dillon powder check system.

6. EGW U die. A resizing/decapping die available at EGW gun works. Google "EGW gun" for the web site.

5. Digital Calipers.

6. Digital powder scale from Brian Enos.com.

7. Case gauge for your caliber.

8. Case tumbler and walnut or corn cob media.

9 "Hornady One Shot" spray can of case lube.

10. Several one gallon ziplock bags to store the range brass you pick up.

11. An old coffee can to put the screw up rounds in.

12. Bullet puller to recover your screw up round components.

13. Dillon primer flip tray. It is the best.

14. CED 2 Chronograph (200$) or Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital Chronograph 119$

15. A good notebook.

16. The correct shell plate if it doesn't come with your press.

17. Primer pick up tubes, 2 each size

18. Several plastic ammo boxes to store your loaded rounds.

19. A reloading bench in a quiet place to spend many many hours.

A book called ABCs of reloading is a good start. Read it all the way through, twice. Then buy 2 reloading books and read them too. Many powder manufacturors have reloading data on their websites. Use it to VERIFY with the books. I have copied and pasted this list many times. It is pretty thorough,,,I've been told. Run it by an experienced reloader. I just started in January 2011 and I have reloaded and shot 5000 rounds+ (with no help from anyone but this forum and a few questions directed to fellow local reloaders.). Damn! It's only April! Toughest part was setting up the press. Hornady has 12 very good videos on youtube that will go through step by step on how to set up their Lock N load AP. I watched them over and over. I was a "short bus". I ended up buying the Dillon 650, but the videos were very informative. I got the 650 setup video from dillon also. Good luck!

So much advise I'm still combing through it all. Thanks so far. Seems good info in here.

The budget is locked. That is all the money I can spare.

The range here has a chrono that is free to use for members.

My dad has a tumbler so that should be free.

We bought 10k .40 brass (all good according to dad) for $22 per $1000 from some guy he knows.

My dad has a recorder so I am gonna start learning how to use it Friday then work on getting my own stuff. Basically I just saved all the start up cost because he already has everything I just have to learn how to use it. Lmao will post what model he has but I know its a Dillon and it works just he is lazy and has a guy that reload for him.

Anyway thanx for all the help it is very enlightening on how much effort I am gonna have to put into this. But you know what they say. Anything that is worth it is never easy.

Edited by Obiareus

The Square Deal uses proprietary Dillon dies; the RL550 uses standard dies. If you're going to load .40 I highly recommend the 550 simply cause you can use an EGW undersized die in place of the resize die, which takes care of the small bulge in 1X fired Glock cases that regular dies sometimes doesnt get out. Plus you can load rifle calibers too and the quick change toolheads make it relatively fast. A reloader is a big investment which pays for itself quicker than you think.

https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=190&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=630&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=41

Get that press (with all the upgrades), the Dillon Eliminator scale. Your now at $255. Use a rag to wipe you brass clean. Buy some components and your Lyman Reloading manual (or ABC's).

Edited by 98sr20ve

Use your dads gear and his knowledge/experience.....perhaps expand the budget a bit and watch the classifieds here,.. maybe occasionally post a WTB you can pick up some great second hand gear and,.if it is Dillon blue.. they have a great warranty program and as much as I hate to say it E-B*y has used presses too.. not sure how other companies handle used gear I drank the Blue Kool-aid years ago...

Not to knock a Square Deal but I would get a press that takes the industry standard die sets,..which is almost every other press out there.. unless you can see ONLY loading one or a few pistol calibers,.. then the SD might be for you.. I load rifle so the Square Deal is off my radar

my money is on an RL450 ( my main press but has powder system upgrade of a RL550 primer system is on the list.) or an RL550b

Looking further down my bench I still see where I got my start,.. a Lyman SPARTAN press (so old it is gray not orange) and an RCBS JR3 I still use for reforming brass (401 Herters etc.) and making small batches of ammo for the "occasionally to the range" calibers.

only problem with single stages is @ 500-700 rounds with a 4 die setup you are looking at 20,000 to 28,000 press strokes :surprise: made my arm tired just thinking about it..

Keep in mind that the press may be "expensive" now but when weighed against the savings of ammo costs it produces, the "expensive" will disappear replaced by a huge grin at the savings and pride of making first rate ammo :D

John

Another vote for the dillion 550, you get all the reasons allready listed above, and even if you dont plan to load rifle, several years down the road you may decide too. Check the classifieds sometimes you can pick one up at a good price from someone wanting to upgade to a 650. All I load is 4 to 5 thousand a year and I'm very plesed with my 550. Good luck and be safe

Edited by RussellJohnson

• 2 weeks later...

So an update is in order i think. My dad has a Dillon XL650(i think) and it is very nice. He showed me some of how it works today when i was helping him clean his gunroom out. I really like the fact that you just pull the handle once and it does everything for you. All i have to do is make sure the Brass Feed is on and place the bullet on top of the second to last stage of the reload and pull the handle BAM :surprise: i have a bullet. it has the Sensors for too much/not enough powder, holds 100 primers and a crap ton(not to be confused with "butt ton" of brass. Think i will enjoy doing it once he shows me how to switch it to .40(which he has all the stuff to do). Anyways thanx for all the help and opinions. :cheers:

So an update is in order i think. My dad has a Dillon XL650(i think) and it is very nice. He showed me some of how it works today when i was helping him clean his gunroom out. I really like the fact that you just pull the handle once and it does everything for you. All i have to do is make sure the Brass Feed is on and place the bullet on top of the second to last stage of the reload and pull the handle BAM :surprise: i have a bullet. it has the Sensors for too much/not enough powder, holds 100 primers and a crap ton(not to be confused with "butt ton" of brass. Think i will enjoy doing it once he shows me how to switch it to .40(which he has all the stuff to do). Anyways thanx for all the help and opinions. :cheers:

On a 650, you don't "pull the handle once," you complete a task on both the upswing AND the down swing. When you pull the handle to move the shell plate up, that's when the brass/cartridges meet the dies and do their specific jobs. On the upstroke, when you lower the shell plate, that's when you seat the primer. You want to make sure you're getting nice, even, consistent strokes to let the dies do their jobs, and also seat the primers fully when you come back down.

As far as "sensors," the one I rely on the most is the primer sensor. With the casefeeder, you can put a "crap ton" of brass in there, and you can hear it "whirring" when it's not grabbing more brass. Also, if you're watching the plate, it's very obvious when there's no brass.

As far as powder, loading pistol rounds, it's going to be hundreds upon hundreds of rounds before the powder runs out.

Primers, at only a 100 per tube, can run out quick, especially if you get in a good rhythm, and you can't really tell you're out of primers until you see powder spilling all over your press. Definitely a worthwhile add-on IMO.

Ok well he failed to mention the "Upstroke" function :angry2: but we didn't really get that far into as we were cleaning. and he has the primer sensor also i forgot to say that part. However after your post i know alittle more about it than i did 5min ago. thank you

+1 for the Dillon 550 you will find either you save money or in my case start shooting a lot more once you start reloading . I figured up the cost of reloading .40 and here you go .

.40 S&W with lead bullets

$5.22 per 50rds

$104.39 per 1000rds

.40 S&W with coated Bayou Bullets

$6.56 per 50rds

$131.25 per 1000rds

As you can see there is a huge savings over factory ammo . Good luck with whatever decision you make this is a great forum to get info from experienced people

You might want to also try getting your hands on a copy of The ABC's of Reloading. Read it cover to cover. Know exactly what you are getting yourself into. Plus, what others have already said on here already.

ABC's of Reloading

1) That is an excellent book and reading is always the VERY FIRST place to start. A lot of local libraries carry this book. Check there first.

2) Find a mentor at your club, range or neighborhood. Like any hobby, there's a lot that has to be experienced to learn. Doing it the first time under someone's watchful eye will save you time, money and fingers.

3) There are tens of GREAT reloading presses out there, but they are all highly specialized and optimized for their little niche of the reloading market. It's a lot like the vehicle market in that you wouldn't buy a moped just because it's cheap to make a mid-winter trip across Canada. So deciding what you want to reload and how many rounds a week will narrow your choices to 1 or 2.

Hope this helps! ;)

+1 on everything posted here already and I would add that as a new reloader the best thing to do is GO SLOW and BE SAFE.

Wear the safety goggles when reloading and pay attention to the process and you'll enjoy it and not have any double charges or squib rounds.

JK

Well hopefully i will learn alot from my dad about it. He hasn't reloaded in along time since he had some primer's explode. He get's all his rounds reloaded for him now so i think i may take over his reloader and see what i can do about making it alittle cheaper than what we pay for reloads now.

Well hopefully i will learn alot from my dad about it. He hasn't reloaded in along time since he had some primer's explode. ....I may take over his reloader and see what i can do about making it alittle cheaper than what we pay for reloads now.

If you already own some equipment, then less expensive is definitely NOT going to be a problem my friend !!! In the first week alone you might save $30.

Now tell us about this "primer explosion" and hopefully we can steer you around that pitfall. Some of the Lee presses are known to have this issue, especially if you use softer primers like the Federal brand. Soft primers can be good if you have a competition gun with soft springs, but not so much for regular shooting.

• Try a medium hard primer, like Winchester.

• If the issue was Lee in-press priming, try a hand priming system like the Lee XR or the RCBS Hand Primer. Either of those will prevent priming mishaps for ~$30. If you don't like those 2, then there must be 15 others like them.

Hope this helps! ;)

Edited by rfwobbly

i have no idea how or why the explosion happend just know it was along long time ago. and i think it was something faulty with the primer but when it struck it blew a bunch. pretty sure the equipment he was using was good. he doens't do cheap. i don't ask about it much.