Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Pistol Powder for Low light

swandme

I shot a low/ No light match yesterday and found Smoke from the Powder ( and I was told the Molly Coat Bullets I like ) were the reason for Excess smoke.

I was using Solo 1000 and I find it clean overall so I can try it with JHP's as well

PLease share your thoughts.

THX

SWandME

I use Solo1000 and moly bullets (BBI) and have shot several low-light matches. I've noticed the smoke, but there has never been enough to keep me from seeing what I need to see. How are you holding your flashlight? I use a neck index and the sights and target are perfectly illuminated, and the light points wherever I look.

I use Solo1000 and lead or moly or plated or jacketed. I have not found muzzle flash to be an issue at all in low/light or flashlight stages.

Solo and jacketed or plated will be about as smoke-free as commercial ammo.

Stages like that in the video are the precise reason I only shoot jacketed at indoor matches. WST is a one of the lowest smoking powders I've seen with lead, but it's still too much for a flashlight stage. Personally I think ANY powder with lead is going to smoke too much. You can get by for a couple of rounds in 9mm before your targets start hiding, but .40 or .45 forget it. Night sights or not you can't put them on a target you can't see.

From my experiments, S1000 is one of the best powders for low light. I don't see much muzzle flash in that video. I do see a good deal of smoke from the moly bullets. Go to a JHP or CMJ type bullet and a nice bright (Surefire) flashlight and you'll be fine.

Solo100 is a very clean powder. If you load jacketed ammo over it. JHPs or CMJs (no exposed lead at the base of the bullet) will be even cleaner.

In this case, the smoke comes from the moly coating burning off the bullet, not from the powder. If you want something cleaner, try WST or VV N320. Those are about your only options.

My indoor load was a 124gr Precision Delta over Solo1000.

Outdoor load is a 130gr Black Bullets moly over Solo1000.

So I have a little bit of experience with this one. Btw, the P.D. FMJs I use do have an exposed lead base. But still are more than clean enough to shoot low-light indoor stages.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

one last ??? on this

Stick with the 180's or try lighter for less recoil ( knowing I could end up with more muzzle flip ) is it worth the trade off ?

THX

Stick with the 180's. You've solved the smoke problem now try to create the same load in recoil impulse with the jacketed vs. moly. This way you can practice with the cheaper stuff and shoot the expensive stuff for the match. No sense getting too complicated with this, you'd only be causing another problem to solve.