Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bought a new P-18 recently

chad GUNder

Recently bought a new P-18. Its intended purposes are IDPA ESP division and Steel Challenge Limited division. Since I shoot Single Stack and CDP primarily these days, I felt this was a good buy for a gun that will get only 10% of my competition time.... Provided it can run flawlessly!!!

Stock, this thing was sprung heavier than any of my 1911s in .45. Firing anything other than high powered ammo my first time out with it, the empties would just drool or roll out the chamber. So I replaced the stock mainspring with a 17 lb wolf and the recoil spring with a 10 lb. At the range today (2nd trip) with factory Wally World WWB ejection was firm, when it ejected. Unfortunately now, 25% of the time the slide would come back and the extractor will have left the empty in the chamber.

This is now the only problem this gun has. Accuracy is more than acceptable holding 2 inches easily at 20 yards.

If y'all could help with the extraction problem I would appreciate it very much.

In addition, I need a magwell that will fit the IDPA box and keep me under 43 ounces.

Finally, the stock thumb safety needs to go. What type ambis will fit this frame? Does anyone know if the Caspian ambi without the right side tang will work on this gun?

OBTW, this is a very recent make but NOT built in the USA. It is stamped Canada on the frame.

Thanks All.

Does it have the PXT extractor?

I'm not 100% sure but someone makes a sleeve that will allow you to use standard extractors.

If it's not a PXT, you can go with a standard extractor from any of the many manufacturers out there.

I'd personally go with a AFTEC.

As for thumb safeties, you'll be able to use any thumb safety that's made for the 1911. Of course a little fitting here and there is required.

Does it have the PXT extractor?I'm not 100% sure but someone makes a sleeve that will allow you to use standard extractors. If it's not a PXT, you can go with a standard extractor from any of the many manufacturers out there. I'd personally go with a AFTEC. As for thumb safeties, you'll be able to use any thumb safety that's made for the 1911.

Of course a little fitting here and there is required.

It's a PXT. Does anyone know who makes the sleeves?

NOTE: You may have to remove the Series 80 parts from the slide when you install the sleeve. If you do, I suggest you also replace the parts in the frame (lever arms) with a series 80 frame spacer. Removing the Series 80 firing pin safety parts will do wonders for your trigger pull. However, if this is to be a carry gun you might want to think twice about changing ANYTHING. There are possible liability issues if a modified weapon is used in a self defense shooting. Good luck.

OP intends to use gun for IDPA. Removing series 80 parts is not a legal move there. If all you're going to shoot is local matches...who cares? Pull the series 80 and don't worry about it, but if you go to a state level or national..the gun will be checked and DQ will occur. It's over reaching to go inside the gun on an enhanced or custom division level, but they're set on this so be warned.

Edit:

Changing to a 2011 mag release will open up some doors for different mag bodies...STI, SVI, SPS, Rescomp.

Edited by Forrest Halley

You're right, I forgot about IDPA's rule about removing a "safety device", even if it is only one installed to keep the lawyers happy. It should still be possbile to install an extractor tube sleeve and retain the series 80 parts.

I have a (series 70) Springfield Armory TRP with 8 round Wilsom ETM magazines (CDP), and a Rock Island Armory 9mm FS Tactical with 10 round Wilson ETM magazines (ESP) for just that reason. I bought my used P16-40 Limited for use in USPSA Limited and Limited 10 divisions where such "mother hen" rules do not exist. I was careful to buy an early 2000 Candian version WITHOUT the Para Power Extractor garbage.

Edited by wmspdi

i shot a P-18 for a long time. EGW did all the work add materal to the frame for slide fit etc and the mag well you are looking for is made by S & A. but to be IDPA legal it will have to fitted because of over all length. i do not think EGW works on guns any more but it would not hurt to ask. Dawson may still work on Para.

if yours is a early PXT they did make a change to early PXT with a much heavier spring. called them and see if they will send you a free replacement.

Ditto on the .40 Power Extractor. If the 9mm is anything like it, save yourself time and frustration by sleeving the slide and going to a "standard" 1911 extractor. If you need to keep the series 80 stuff, then an AFTEC is out and you'll have to use a traditional leaf spring type extractor.

-Steve

Thanks for all of the good info guys. Will start with the heavier PXT spring. If that works, I'll buy 50 of them and stay IDPA legal. If no go on extraction then... iDPA is out and I'll just have to buy another single stack in 9mm. Bummer! :cheers:

they should send the hold PXT not just the spring. like i said EGW had mine running great!!!!

oh and just a note Para is in canda and depending on what number you call you could get a little extra in the phone bill. i know they did move some of work to the USA a year or 2 ago. or maybe 3?

they should send the hold PXT not just the spring. like i said EGW had mine running great!!!!

oh and just a note Para is in canda and depending on what number you call you could get a little extra in the phone bill. i know they did move some of work to the USA a year or 2 ago. or maybe 3?

I believe Para is based in the USA now. It's Para -USA now :ph34r:

The PXT extractor in a 9mm pistol will only get worse with use. I just converted my P18-9 to Aftec with extractor sleeve and it made a world of difference in elimanating constant FTE's. Don't even bother the customer service at Para and go with the sleeve with series 80 extractor.

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased a p18-9 a year ago, and was plagued with all kinds of manufacturing faults. The slide stop had shrinkage problems, the firing pin was hitting the plunger safety, and the badly manufactured plastic mainspring housing... came all pressed up new from factory. I have been in touch with their international dept and have been advised that I shall be receiving the needed parts... still waiting. I am very disappointed in this brand.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mine had the exact issues yours is having. I changed the extractor and kept having the same issue. I ended up putting the PXT back in and Voila! It hasn't had an issue since.

It took about 2000 rounds before it actually started working. Not sure if that makes a difference. I was thinking of the doing the sleeve and aftec change but am afraid it will stop being reliable. So I just left it. It has had around 3000 founds without any issues.

• 1 month later...

PAra's quality control has really gone downhill over the past few years. I have an P14-45 Signature, PO16-40 Limited and PO18-9LDA Limited and they have functioned reliably to date- knock wood!