Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

School project - egg drop for kindergarten class

Give your child a dozen eggs. Then supply them with an assortment of parts. These come to mind : rubber bands, packing peanuts, toilet paper roller, plastic coffee cans, glue, cups, duck tape............ect.

Then sit back and watch you child amaze you.

Give your child a dozen eggs. Then supply them with an assortment of parts. These come to mind : rubber bands, packing peanuts, toilet paper roller, plastic coffee cans, glue, cups, duck tape............ect.

+1. Ask open ended questions that they understand. By doing so "nudge" them in a direction but let their creative mind work. Great training for situations that life will put in their path later in life.

Pat

Once upon a time this activity was conjured as a way to teach kids about how to go online and find ready answers to what would normally take time, creativity, and experimentation.

Then somewhere along the way we forgot as a society how to use google and ask people on message boards for shortcuts. I'm glad things are getting back to basics.

I had to do something similar in my high school physics class.

Dropped it from 2 meters, and then, just for fun, off the top of the press box at the football field.

My partner and I won.

One word: lightweight.

We just had this little competition here in one of the local school districts. As part of it, the kids came and visited our surveying/engineering firm as well as the neighboring competitor and had to fill out a little questionnaire for each office. Afterward we had a little friendly competition between the two companies with the egg drop container designs.....from a 30' man lift. Lots of good ways to go about it, mine was basically a suspension setup and it easily survived the fall :cheers:

I remember doing this when I was young. We had 10 sheets of computer paper (8 1/2 x 11) and scotch tape.

We made a tube that just fit the egg, and then filled the bottom of the tube with crumpled up paper to make an air cushion, and secured the top so the tube wouldn't hit the ground and have the egg pop out the top.

I agree, get a hodge podge of material, and let them at it. Or make little "packets," all with the same materials in them, and see how many different designs the students can come up with. Start low, like 2 ft, 5 ft, and keep going higher. Last egg unbroken wins!

Once upon a time this activity was conjured as a way to teach kids about how to go online and find ready answers to what would normally take time, creativity, and experimentation.

Then somewhere along the way we forgot as a society how to use google and ask people on message boards for shortcuts. I'm glad things are getting back to basics.

Good one! :P

:cheers:

This "project" has been assigned long before Gore invented the internet. I did this almost 40 years ago. Both my boys did it as well. One won, the other not so much. You have a great oportunity to teach here, don't waste it on getting a "win" only.

Dampening and/or deformation and drop height are the keys. I had a succesful drop from 102 feet to win one of these. My kids drops were 6 feet. Dampening can be repeatable or one time, deformation one time, so the individual rules applied must be considered. Derivative of position is speed, derivative of speed is acceleration and derivative of acceleration is jerk. The goal is to eliminate jerk, because that is what breaks the shell. Go ahead and try and explain that to a 6 year old. There is a good explanation that kids can understand on "How stuff works" under the search on "shock absorbers.

Not going to give you the answer, but recomend you help your child search for a solution and do the trial and error that this is intended to help them learn. I've built several of these, and seen lots of solutions, so there is not just one. The payoff down the road may be a college scholarship!