Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Undercutting the grip

sauza45

Ok I have been playing around with different grips on my EDGE, factory, factory and undercut, stippled, stippled and undercut just have not been happy. I have gone back to factory with a single undercut

and like that the best. Looking at the last 2 Front sights, of top guns at the Nationals only 5 out of the top 12 they showed had any undercutting. None of them were the winning guns. I know that a higher

grip on the gun is better for recoil control, but if your hand is up tight to the beaver tail will undercutting get your hand higher or just change the point of the gun. What is the real benifit to undercutting

the grip?

I had Bobby at Freedom Gunworks stipple my STI grip and undercut it behind and on the bottom of the trigger guard. Compared with the factory grip, I really like how these mods seem to lock my hands better and more consistently onto the pistol. I have fairly large hands with long fingers, FWIW.

:cheers:

Curtis

Edited by BayouSlide

I undercut my Dan Wesson myself a few weeks ago. Solid and secure feel having it sit lower. Hard to say if it was coincidental until I shoot it some more in a match this weekend, but last match with it undercut was my best one yet. Quite a few more A's!

The Edge I used to use had a stippled grip but no undercut. I did a single undercut and noticed immediately that the gun sat lower in the hand. Had to do a few draws to get readjusted. The gun seemed like it had slightly less recoil and pointed better. The stippled grip helps with keeping a secure hold on the gun. My new Limited and Open guns both have single undercuts and stippled grips.

Even though I'm a photographer by trade I don't have any photos before or after right now. However, I have seen some images here on the forum. I used those as my guide. I started with a Dremel on a low setting and worked very slowly. After I made some progress I switched to a file and fine tuned it. The key to all of it is working slow and planning it out. Stop and asses often.

Before I undercut the grip on my Edge I read an article which suggested using this particular size of Dremel grinding stone. The grinding stone is exactly 1mm high and 1.5mm wide. Start very slowly or you can grind through the grip. It really isnt that hard and makes a big difference.

post-18249-042759700 1302070986_thumb.jp

Can someone post "before and after" photos of a pistol which has had the grip undercut? How does one accomplish the undercut? Thanks

Multiple threads, here's one of the ones I have saved:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=82264&st=0

Also, full walkthrough can be found here: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=67691&st=0

Edited by Pro-Pain

Before I undercut the grip on my Edge I read an article which suggested using this particular size of Dremel grinding stone. The grinding stone is exactly 1mm high and 1.5mm wide. Start very slowly or you can grind through the grip. It really isnt that hard and makes a big difference.

The number for the stone is

10mm or 1cm high

and

15mm or 1.5cm wide.

Looking at the last 2 Front sights, of top guns at the Nationals only 5 out of the top 12 they showed had any undercutting. None of them were the winning guns. What is the real benifit to undercutting

the grip?

Obviously those guys do not spend enough time on the forum. Think of how much faster they would be if they only knew that one little secrete.

WG

Ok I have been playing around with different grips on my EDGE, factory, factory and undercut, stippled, stippled and undercut just have not been happy. I have gone back to factory with a single undercut

and like that the best. Looking at the last 2 Front sights, of top guns at the Nationals only 5 out of the top 12 they showed had any undercutting. None of them were the winning guns. I know that a higher

grip on the gun is better for recoil control, but if your hand is up tight to the beaver tail will undercutting get your hand higher or just change the point of the gun. What is the real benifit to undercutting

the grip?

The benefit for me is there is less stress on my middle finger knuckle. My grip in not really any higher with an undersut grip but, it just does not push down on my middle finger as much.

I have been playing with other shooters guns and 1 had a short curved trigger and that felt good. Looking at my finger on the trigger it is not square with the long curved.

I have put a short curved trigger in and a factory grip with a single under cut and that fells good. I wear a large glove but my fingers are a little shorter than some other

people I have talked to. I will shoot this combo some more, so far its fells good.