Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Interested in your multi-gun Mossberg 930 pics

Glockster35

I have been reading up on these a lot the last couple of days. I would be interested in seeing your pictures and also, list any changes you have done to it.

I was thinking of getting the 930 SPX (85360) for use in local 3 gun competitions and home defense. I realize a lot of you are serious 3 gunners, and USPSA shooters, but I don't think adding a 22 inch barrel would do me a lot of good. Am I wrong?

It is not just the 22" barrel.....it is the fact of having changeable chokes. Also the SPX is going to run you $550-$600, but you can buy the Waterfowl or Turkey version in the low $400s and then add your tube and bolt handle and still be under the cost of the SPX. Trust me...I started out with an SPX, sold it, and bought the Turkey. SPX is Cylinder bore and even if you cut the Waterfowl or Turkey yourself then you are still cylinder bore. Just make sure you leave it long enough that if you do get it threaded later then the smith has something to work with.

This is what i've done so far...

28" barrel cut to 22" and threaded

lengthen and polish forcing cone

polish chamber

Briley extended LM choke

Nordic handle

Nordic follower

Nordic +4 extension

Nordic XL cap

Hi-Viz TriComp sight

welded lifter

Brownells safety

Yesterday, i bought a 18.5" home security for $510 OTD. Last night i ordered Nordic +4 ext, charging bolt, low drag follower, $139. Tomorrow i will be ordering the 24" non-ported barrel from Edna, $170+/-. At that point i will have $818+/- in it. I will sale the 18.5" barrel. At this point i won't worry about the other 3 gun mods. I might get to them in the summer.

I will post a pic after i get the barrel.

polish chamber

Briley extended LM choke

Nordic handle

Nordic follower

Nordic +4 extension

Nordic XL cap

Hi-Viz TriComp sight

welded lifter

Brownells safety

Sounds like a sick setup... have any pics?

Mind me asking how it runs with the forcing cone mods?

polish chamber

Briley extended LM choke

Nordic handle

Nordic follower

Nordic +4 extension

Nordic XL cap

Hi-Viz TriComp sight

welded lifter

Brownells safety

Sounds like a sick setup... have any pics?

Mind me asking how it runs with the forcing cone mods?

Mike Orlen did the barrel work back in November. Lengthen and polish forcing cone and chamber - $35

post-24822-093495200 1302061961_thumb.jp

I use my 930 SPX in local 3-gun matches, and it works just fine. 90% of the time, I don't feel at a disadvantage having a 7 round tube, or no chokes. It knocks steel down just fine, thank you, and shoots slugs great out to 50 yds or so, point of aim.

I cut the forearm back to facilitate loading, and added a velcro 3-gun gear side saddle. Other than that its stock, and runs great.

But... If I was really serious.... and hitting big matches, I would get a 22" barrel with chokes, and have the 8 round tube.

But I do like the Mossberg platform.

Here's a writeup with pics on what I did to my 930 field model:

http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php/topic,3466.0.html

My mods are:

Barrel shortened to 22" and rethreaded by Guncat.

Nordic +4 tube

Hi-Viz 10/22 front and rear sights

Brownells oversized charging handle & safety

Rear of forend shortened so it's even with the forend retaining clip

Lifter welded

Sides and front of loading port opened up

Lightly polished trigger group

I did all of the work myself with the exception of cutting & threading the barrel. A set of Williams clamp on slugger sights could easily be added instead of going to the trouble I did with the 10/22 sights. According to Benny Hill it's also not necessary to weld the lifter as long as the overhang at the front of the loading port is eliminated. I did both so I can't speak to that, but the difference in loading speed vs. the factory configuration is night and day.

I think replaceable chokes are a must have, which makes the SPX impractical. At the local matches I attend I've seen quite a few guys have problems knocking over steel with an open cylinder choke. With a Modified choke I've never had a problem. I have less than $600 in mine, but I also got a killer deal on the gun itself.

Edited by bkoenig

I like them a lot. For shooting steel its very fast, and for me it makes a big difference with slugs. They're not ideal for clays, but I'm not good at clays anyway so that may be me.

if someone wanted rifle sights I would probably suggest a clamp on set like the sluggers since they don't require permanent modification of the rib. I like to tinker with things so I did it the hard way.

Here is my very new 930. Bought it last saturday, Monday sent to Guncat for threading. Got barrel back today. Thanks Guncat, great job. I added Nordic +4 extension, Nordic charging handle, Mossberg extended modified choke. Otherwise stock. I will shoot it at a few matches before i take a dremmel to the loading port or anything like that.

moss930d.jpg

Edited by gotigers

Here is my very new 930. Bought it last saturday, Monday sent to Guncat for threading. Got barrel back today. Thanks Guncat, great job. I added Nordic +4 extension, Nordic charging handle, Mossberg extended modified choke. Otherwise stock. I will shoot it at a few matches before i take a dremmel to the loading port or anything like that.

moss930d.jpg

What is the barrel length on that shotgun? Looks shorter than 22".

I use my 930 SPX in local 3-gun matches, and it works just fine. 90% of the time, I don't feel at a disadvantage having a 7 round tube, or no chokes. It knocks steel down just fine, thank you, and shoots slugs great out to 50 yds or so, point of aim.

I cut the forearm back to facilitate loading, and added a velcro 3-gun gear side saddle. Other than that its stock, and runs great.

But... If I was really serious.... and hitting big matches, I would get a 22" barrel with chokes, and have the 8 round tube.

But I do like the Mossberg platform.

Couple of things:

- Ghertz: that is a beauty of a 930, nice work. I think that's what my SPX wants to look like when it grows up.

- Sfinney: same here, I've got the SPX and it hasn't met steel it doesn't like. I've got a poly-choke on it (usually cranked to Full) which has really helped with sporting clays and I think may be helping with steel as well. Who knows. I've noodled on getting a longer barrel / +1 capacity, but I love my ghost ring sights, particularly when doing weak side shooting, it really helps line up 'unnatural' shots quickly.

The 930 is my favorite part of 3Gun. It always works, period. It's weird. Recently, I tried Rem Managed Recoil Target loads for laughs, 1100 fps / 7/8 ounce, it cycles them and the difference in muzzle climb / recoil is amazing. Anyway, changes to my SPX are:

- Poly-choke II (looks seriously goofy on this gun, but it works)

- 3gungear side saddle & extra esstac saddles (changed from Mesa)

- 590 metal safety from Brownells

- wilson sling mount

- Nordic bolt handle (changed from Nob)

- Cheekeze pad

To the OP, attached is a pic.

2v0l9o9.jpg

With that Polychoke I don't think a +4 extension would stick out very far. I had thought about getting one of those but decided to have my cut down barrel threaded for the factory chokes since I already had them.

Very nice weapons guys!

I just bought a 28" Waterfowl 930 and sent the barrel out to Guncat this morning to be cut to 22" and re threaded for the 3 chokes it came with.

He is going to lengthen and poilish the forcing cone and re mount the Fiber Optic front sight as well.

I also ordered a Nordic +4 extension from Cactus Tactical this morning and will likely add a Nordic Mag Clamp, larger bolt handle and a side saddle.

I plan to open up the loading port as mentioned above, it's pretty painful to load fast out of the box.

I hope to have the weapon completed in time for an Easter weekend shoot I have planned. I will post up pics when I get my barrel back.

With that Polychoke I don't think a +4 extension would stick out very far. I had thought about getting one of those but decided to have my cut down barrel threaded for the factory chokes since I already had them.

You are right, it doesn't stick out too much further when I did the measurements. What I've found though is that the poly-choke sometimes requires some elbow grease to dial, you have to grab it with your hand. Just doing it with the tips of your fingers (with an extended tube obstructing below) may not work in some situations.

I recently saw a pic of a long Briley choke (looked like 3-4 inches after the threads), I'm thinking this might be option to get me length & velocity . . . I checked Briley's site, but haven't seen them since . . .

I recently saw a pic of a long Briley choke (looked like 3-4 inches after the threads), I'm thinking this might be option to get me length & velocity . . . I checked Briley's site, but haven't seen them since . . .

Their barrel extensions maybe?

Link

Their barrel extensions maybe?

Link

Doh, that's the one. Thank you. Now, how funny would it look for my barrel to extend 4 inches past my sight tower?

Again, thanks.