Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can SV 40 mags hold .38 super rounds?

edwin garcia

I know they're different calibers but I just want to throw it out there and see if you can get way with it. Or can you tweak the feed lips and make it work?

Sorry, I tried the search feature and all i get are Classified ads items.

Thanks in advance!

Edwin

Hello: Yes, they will work for 38 super in a stock 40 mags. You have to control the rounds as they are feeding either up or down. Using the correct follower is the key here. The Dawson follower with a little mod so it fits the SV mags will work. The Grams tends to fall over and so does the Bolen in a 40 mag for 38/9mm. If the SV 40 mag has had the feed lips modified for maximum rounds then they will not work unless you tighten the feed lips up again. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

If you want absolute dependability no, not only are the lips too wide so is the body and the rounds can stack up wrong, all it takes is a tiny hesitation in the round coming up and the timing is off = a jam results. Then the rule kicks in that the once in a while jam only happens when you are killing on a stage.

Hello: I guess I could be wrong but the 40 mags I used most of the year in my Open 9mm worked perfectly even at the nationals :devil: Paul if you want to try it on that 170mm 40 mag I'll give it a go for you. I was just using some 40 SV 140mm mags last year until I sold them. Next thing for you guys to try is a SVI 45 140mm mag and use it for 40 :roflol: Thanks, Eric

Now that I have done and so has a GM located in southern NM. He gets an extra round or two in the 45 mag.

I believe SV had about 100 170mm 40 mags that were ordered. I have one of them. I thought the challenge was the depressions on the sides were not deep enough to support the 38SC in a reliably manner.

We could try it. I really do not use the mag for anything.

You doing the soccer thing tomorrow or will you be at the match?

I tried the 40 in a 45 mag. They worked but not reliably 100% for me. Also as I understand it they don't work in all pistols, and I got the same info from Vergil Tripp. You do get an extra round in the mag, that is why I tried it.

Edited by 40S&W