Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147 CMJ MG powder question

3ddiver

I have searched and cant quite seem to come up with an answer to my question. I am switching to MG 147CMJ from a lead bullet. I am loading with 3.6gr of WST right now and If I read right that powder amount is going to need to go up from there. Since there doesnt seem to be any load data for this combo, how do I know if I am approaching the upper limit pressure wise? Is there a different powder that I shoud be using for them? I see a lot about Solo but that isnt available here. I have access to Winchester, Clays, and some IMR. I have also seen some of the Dots and Accurate. I would appreaciate it if you guys could help point me in the right direction. Thanks

Edited by 3ddiver

WOW I guess I am asking the wrong questions.I guess I will start where I am now and go from there.

Where did you come up with your current WST load? There isn't any data I've found for WST and 147gr bullets...which means you aren't going to know if you're at, or past, pressure limits. I found two loads with 147gr bullets and WSF, which is TEN steps slower on the burn rate chart, and they were 3.9 and 4.1gr as max. You're likely waaaaay over pressure limits as is, and that's why nobody is responding.

If you proceed, let us know how far the gun pieces wind up traveling.

I got the WST loads from this forum. If you read the post and think it is unsafe I would appreaciate someone saying so and not just ignoring it. There are lots of posts with 147 and WST so that is what I was going by. I thought we were all here to help each other out!!!. I know my post count is low but I do lots of reading here.

3d,

This is not that kind of forum. There are a few wise asses around but I ignore them(literally). Post count has nothing to do with anything here. A member is a member. If you posted something blatently dangerous you would not be ignored, you would be helped. It could just be that not too many folks use WST with 147's and really don't have input on your load choice. You will find around here that if somebody can help you they will. If they can't help you they tend to stay out of the way. As an example I have never used WST I can only go with what others have said. Looks like some love it and some don't. That is just the way it is with most questions on the forum. Anything you ask about you will get several different opinions. It will be up to you to break it all down and find what is right for you.

When I shot moly coated lead bullets last year I used Solo 1000 and N320. I prefer jacketed bullets and went back to Montana Gold bullets and N320 powder. No smoke and the gun stays very clean.

As for high pressure signs I generally look at primers first. Primers will go from being generally rounded off in a light load to flat as a pancake in a hot load.

Get a chrono and be careful.

Kevin

3d - a couple of points. When switching the bullet type, all bets are off, even though there will be some "typical" changes - don't go by them, instead drop the load by maybe .5gr and work it up again to required velocity, just to be safe.

On pressure signs - the primers is your... ahem... prime sign, but some people prefer the pressure ring method. You can read its description on Internet if you Google, I have done it and it works, but I stopped using it because going by what the primers were telling me was much easier.

If you are planning on using these for either USPSA or IDPA what you want is about 885 f/s. That would give you a PF of just over 130.

Brian

That's a wonderful way of going sub-Minor and spending a bunch of time and money to shoot for fun (not score).

My 9 Minor load averages 930fps+ (137PF) and my 5'2", 105lb wife shoots them really well (she calls it the "wussy gun")...can't see why anybody needs softer than that.

Using somebody else's load data is like wearing their underwear. unsure.gif

I'd suggest learning "load development". This will serve you for the rest of your life.

If you are going to use somebody else's data (and plan to push the envelope by using a fast powder and a heavy bullet), then start well below their load and creep up to their load...checking the spent rounds for signs if pressure as you go.

I'd suggest learning "load development". This will serve you for the rest of your life.

If you are going to use somebody else's data (and plan to push the envelope by using a fast powder and a heavy bullet), then start well below their load and creep up to their load...checking the spent rounds for signs if pressure as you go.

That is why I am asking the question I am asking. I want to learn how to tell what is going on with the loads. I can pull the lever and make ammo but I want to know what to look for and head off problems.

That is why I am asking the question I am asking. I want to learn how to tell what is going on with the loads. I can pull the lever and make ammo but I want to know what to look for and head off problems.

Danger Danger Danger Will Robinson. You MUST work up your own loads for YOUR gun. I saw a glock explode this past weekend. Everyone will forget your name but will remember that your gun exploded. :o You head off problems with carefull load developement!

• 2 weeks later...

For those that are interested I have settled for now with 3.6 grains of W231 with the Montana Gold 147 CMJ. Very little to no smoke, shot nice and it was accurate. Across the Chrono it seemed to be in the 913-917 fps range. That should put me 134 PF or so.

Edited by 3ddiver

Data is out there for 147gr and WST, but it's nearly all anecdotal from reloaders, not published by anyone doing actual test barrel pressure testing.

I've done 3.5gr WST with 147gr X-treme plated bullets and got about 880fps. It's a super soft load. So is 3.4gr Universal with the same bullets.

I am using 1.15 OAL

I use a dirty underwear load for my 147's and it is totally unsafe so I won't repeat it here. N320 performs very will with 125gr bullets in 9 and I suspect it does likewise with 147gr.

N320 has a max of 3.9gr 984 fps at 1.142 OAL from their load data, so it is French dirty underwear (aka Fee Fee La Do Do). Start load at 3.1 gr for 784.

Edited by CocoBolo