Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 9mm SPRINGS

1911guru

I have an STI spartan and I absolutly love this gun its super accurate and fast. I wanna keep it forever but im wondering, is it possible to make this a better gun? as far as springs go. what springs do you guys recomend for this gun im talking every major function spring. would i gain any benefit from the STI recoil master? I would like to lighten up the trigger to a 2-2.5 pound trigger if possible and also less felt recoil and most importantly RELIABILITY.well any advice would be greatly apreciated.

Mine runs a 10 pound recoil spring. You will see anything from usually 9-11 or 12 pounds for the recoil spring. It really just depends on the feel you like of the gun. For recoil, your loads can make a big difference. Some like the slower 147 grain which has less felt recoil but can seem sluggish. Others like the snap of the 115 or 124 grain bullets. For the money I would avoid the recoil master.

When I had mine, my smith was able to get my trigger to 2.25lbs using the stock internals and a SVI trigger. Main spring was dropped to a 17lb one. Recoil spring was 8 or 10lb depending on what type of load I was using. Ran 100% with RN style bullets only. Mags did not affect performance. If you PM me your email I can send you an Excel worksheet with all my Ransom rested load data for it. I had some loads come in around .8" for 5 shots at 20 or 25yds.

Edited by toddrod

I've been using a 17lb mainspring and a 9lb recoil spring, both ISMI's, shooting 115gr WWB and Fedearal Champion from Wallyworld, gun stays flat as can be, recoils like a .22, feeds, ejects, and locks back on empty Wilson ETM's every single time. I think I like the 10lb recoil spring with the 115gr as well, feels ever so slightly different, maybe faster back into battery, works perfectly also.

I run ismi 17# mainspring and 10# recoil spring. Internals have been cleaned and polished and lightly lubed.

Reloads from 124 to 147 all feed and eject perfectly. Trigger is not only light but very smooth with quick return. Seamless. Front sight returns to position quickly and the Spartan has a very quick yet predictable feel in my hands. Oh, grips are stock cheapy wood ones with grip tape cover.

Wolff 9 lbs recoil + buffer and Wolff 16 lbs mainspring + fp stop plate cut to open easily, bare slight weight 10.5 oz - feels just how I like it with Zero 125gr JHP + Clays.

Mainspring has only a little to do with trigger pull weight in single action guns. However, I think feel is more important than 0.5 lbs difference in weight. With single stack minor you can easily have 2 lbs trigger pull with very nice feeling.

Last, but not least: let somebody who knows what he is doing tune your trigger ;)

• 1 month later...

Right now I'm using a 9# slide spring and a 19# mainspring, both ISMI in my Spartan with the Chip McCormick 10 round mags. This setup seems to provide the most reliable ignition and ejection for me. The gun has been running 100% with this combination. Gabe

I run an 8# sprinco only because I could not find a 7# one and a 15 lb mainspring. I get accused of shooting an airsoft gun all the time.

Fireant- With all those A's I see you shoot-

me thinks you are shooting airsoft! :bow::roflol: