Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

single stack magwells

1911guru

in the market for a new magwell. i currently have a smith and alexander and want something like a dp no gap magwell. my gun is a 9mm with wilson emt mags i want the mag to stick out of the bottom of the magwell just enough to easily seat a fully loaded 10 round mag. can i accomplish this with dp basepads? or does anyone know of any other set ups similar? without having to buy new mags. size of weight of the gun does not matter. i would apreciate any advice and would like to see some pictures. i would also like to see a picture of a dp no gap with wilson mags

Watching this thread with some interest...as I just picked up a 1911 in 9mm this week. Looking to shoot SS and was wondering if there are any "restrictions" around the type/size/weight of the magwell that can be used.

Thanks!

i want the 360 degree magwell dont want the cut out in the front

He makes one of those as well. I started with that but changed to the open fron after I had a mag stick in the gun and couldn't get it out. Open fron is much easier to clear mags. Just my opinion.

makes sense shooter_rob. why was it stuck? cuz of the magwell?

No, got some dirt and grit on it from the type of range we were shooting on. You can try to keep them clean but sometimes it is hard! I look at what the top guys shoot and most of them shoot some kind of open front mag well.

Sure it can.

What I mean is that the DP magwell and basepads are as big as they possibly can be and still fit in the box. Yours still has room to spare...looks good, though. I'll admit the DP kit isn't the best looking combo, but I'm a form-follows-function kinda guy so it doesn't matter at all.

Sure it can.

What I mean is that the DP magwell and basepads are as big as they possibly can be and still fit in the box. Yours still has room to spare...looks good, though. I'll admit the DP kit isn't the best looking combo, but I'm a form-follows-function kinda guy so it doesn't matter at all.

Untrue. The DP ICE is smaller than the Techwell XT (I have both). R,

Sure it can.

Untrue. The DP ICE is smaller than the Techwell XT (I have both). R,

I stand corrected. It seems like it is, in that case. :)

This is my set up. Custom made by my gun smith, Jim Joyce. Has worked great for me with Cobra mags. Not a bad price either. Check with him on the price, but I don't believe you will beat it. jimjoycecustom.com

Gun4-17-10010.jpg

Gun4-17-10011.jpg

Gun4-17-10019.jpg

+1 on Jim Joyce custom magwell. Great price and the only magwell I have owned on a single stack.

I run the 10rd 9mm Wilson ETM's and have only good things to say about the Techwell SP, not quite as huge as the XT or the Ice, yeah, but I didn't have to buy all new basepads and then bust out the Dremel, doubt the slightly smaller dimensions is slowing things down much (at least in my case). IMHO, if you can't hit a reload with something the size of the SP which is already quite a bit larger tgan tge classic S&A-style then you suck and need more practice, the larger XT or Ice won't bail you out.

AFAIK the TGO is the same as the SP minus the closed front, so that should work perfectly with the ETM's as well and offer maybe an easier grasp on a mag that doesn't drop or maybe when pulling one to clear a double-feed, personally I like the full-wrap of the SP for an index for my support-hand's grip, but the TGO seems like a great choice too.

If you're not a fan of the Techwell grip options you could consider giving Larry Davidson a shout or looking up the DIY from forum member VR4, it's a simple system which works and it is lighter than most it not all of the other options for a 9mm 1911, especially if you go with a polymer MSH.

thanks for the picture ck1. but even the best of the best mess up under high stress situations, and i am not counting on a double feed or any type of malfunction although they do happen. i am ok with one malfunction out of 300 fast reloads. i look at it like shooting an A zone on the body rather than an A zone on a head shot. the a zone is bigger on the body which is faster and have a better chance of hitting it no matter the skill level. why aim at something way smaller when u can aim and hit the bigger target faster and more consistently? i am not worried about size.