Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Special 1911 Match

xcelr8n

I'm a MD at a local IDPA club. With the 100th anniversary and all, I'd like to have a match where we encourage people to bring their 1911s for a special match. We did this one other time and encouraged shooters to shoot ESR/SSR for that match. It was a lot of fun.

Now, for the 1911 match, I was thinking of ways to make the COFs fit the 1911s better. Round counts of 9 and 17 would help. Does anyone have other ideas?

We are not running a "Special Match" this week at Old Bridge, however we did and are encouraging everyone to blow the dust off their Single Stacks and come out and shoot them. We would have liked to run a special match, but believe it or not, there are a lot of people that do not own a SS legal gun! And if we ran a special with bigger prizes we'd have to raise the entry fees. We figured that shooting our 1911's and maybe a chorus of Happy Birthday would be adaquate.

The Tri-State Regional in Memphis, Tenn., was considering a special 1911 event.

The idea was to hold the sanctioned match with all divisions on Saturday and reshoot on Sunday with 1911s only.

I don't know if the project is going forward, though.

• 3 weeks later...

Go to Stagedesign.com They have some great ideas for courses

One thing to watch on COFs from stagedesign.com is that many of the stages don't comply with current rules. As a new MD, I made the mistake of assuming that if they were listed they were vetted for rule-compliance and tweren't so.

One thing to watch on COFs from stagedesign.com is that many of the stages don't comply with current rules. As a new MD, I made the mistake of assuming that if they were listed they were vetted for rule-compliance and tweren't so.

What sort of problems did you see?

What sort of problems did you see?

I'm a USPSA MD, so I found USPSA COF probs in that they were not legal for current rules. Like for Speed Shoots too many shots, or more than 8 targets, or too many mag changes for Comstock medium courses, that kind of thing. For IDPA, it might be too many no-shoots, maybe more than 18 shots, I dunno. Just heads-up to check for compliance, if that matters to you.

Cheers,

Ben

I've been MDing a single stack match the last few years, and decided on a "Last Man Standing" theme for the "5th Annual, 100th Anniversary". Not much use of cover, but lots of on-the-move opportunities! I'd also considered inspiration from scenes from other movies, such as "We Were Soldiers", "Blackhawk Down", "Ronin", "Thief", etc.