Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 gap ...... in S&W 625 ...!?!

sensei

What about trimming some .45 Super brass from starline?

Why trim it back, what about using 45 Super in a 625, as a higher-powered hunting round rather than a comp gun? Is it too much pressure for the revolver, no matter what? Or are there other considerations?

Sorry to call up a zombie thread :huh: but this was the only thing that mentioned 45S in the Revolver forum...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a lot of experience using high powered loads in 625's but here it goes... The 625 is a strong gun, consider that it's the same frame as a 629 (.44 Magnum), however, you have a lot less metal in the cylinder due to the fact that you have .451" holes cut in it. That being said, pin shooters ran a fairly steady diet of 200 pf loads (255 LSWC at @ 780 fps) through their 625's. You have a fully supported chamber in a 625, which eliminates one of the things that holds the .45 back when looking for high powered loads in 1911 type guns. Other guys may have some real world experience to share with you, until then, go slow and pay attention to the normal pressure signs.

Dan and Cliff are both using special cut-down ACP brass and Hearthco moonclips, both of which are theoretically supposed to slightly improve the speed of the reload.

Me? I just use mixed range pick-up .45 ACP brass and bastard moonclips of various manufacture and vintage. When a crack in the side of a case approaches 1/4", I throw it away. When a moonclip bends, I bend it back with pliers. This shit ain't rocket science.

Dan and Cliff are both using special cut-down ACP brass and Hearthco moonclips, both of which are theoretically supposed to slightly improve the speed of the reload.     

Me?  I just use mixed range pick-up .45 ACP brass and bastard moonclips of various manufacture and vintage.  When a crack in the side of a case approaches 1/4", I throw it away.  When a moonclip bends, I bend it back with pliers.  This shit ain't rocket science.

I like the way you think :D

For me it's the exact same way.

Sensei

if you want to try 45 GAP in your 625, I could supply 100 spent cases at 20 €.

I know shipping will be more than that, so we can get in touch at the next Italian National

Ciao Luca sono Daniele, se ti interessa te li porto la prossima settimana, io tiro in 40 :D

Ciao Luca sono Daniele, se ti interessa te li porto la prossima settimana, io tiro in 40 :D

I don't know what it means, but damn, makes me want to shoot the Italian Nationals just so I can hear some more of it. And eat some of the local cuisine. And look at the countryside. And look at the women. Lucky Italians. Anybody for a little roadtrip? We could split the travel costs!

I don't know what it means, but damn, makes me want to shoot the Italian Nationals just so I can hear some more of it. And eat some of the local cuisine. And look at the countryside. And look at the women. Lucky Italians. Anybody for a little roadtrip? We could split the travel costs!

"It's party time, Italian style!"

(Name that Bill Murray quote.)

Hell, I've never been to Italy. Sounds like fun, Rob. :D

Maybe I'll try some gap ammo in my 625 tomorrow. I happen to have ammo handy. :rolleyes:

Hi everybody

It was a joke for Sensei ( as I know him by person, both revo shooters,both Italians).

Italian National will take place sat15 and sun16 october in a sunny place 40 km north of Rome.

2 days, around 250 shooters,16 stages, 271 rounds; at the end of a 15 matches championship it will crown National champs.

I and Sensei will run for Revo, A class, maybe he hopes for something better , but our competitors did a very good job at World Shoot and many other strong wheelmen will attend that event

I think to be the only one with a S&W 646 in 40 cal, 99% use 625 5", 1% split between 625 4", 610 and moonclipped 686.

I think this match would be level 3, open to foreign shooters, but deadline is Oct 10, more info at www.fitds.it

My best to everyone

Daniele

Hey guys,

I have reloaded some powder-puff rounds in the .45 GAP and loaded them up in my .45 moonclips for my 625. For plinking around, they are alot of fun because you can download them and just play.

However, the moonclips won't hold them reliably. It seems that if you could count on them staying in the clips they would work ok but when you grab a moonclip from your belt and watch as one of your rounds falls to the ground :angry: , you will be wondering why you aren't shooting regular .45. :D

Just my observations

dj

Italian National will take place sat15 and sun16 october in a sunny place 40 km north of Rome.

I think to be the only one with a S&W 646 in 40 cal, 99% use 625 5", 1% split between 625 4", 610 and moonclipped 686.

My best to everyone

Daniele

Damn. I didn't realize the Italian Nationals were that close at hand. Maybe next year...

It's seems no matter where you go you can't escape the dominance of the 5" 625. I wonder if the guy who thought that one up knows what a great competitive gun it is.

Massad Ayoob is the father of the 625.

I'm proud to have had a tiny role in it myself.

There were a handful of us shooting our 25-2s on the New England scene back around 1987 (I lived in Nashua NH at the time). This is when .45 ACP reigned surpreme for all things competitive shooting. We thought it would be a great idea to have a .45 ACP wheelgun on the market again, but figured it would never happen. But Mas approached S&W through Tommy Campbell, and by God he got it done.

Unfortunately, the first "Model of 1988" 625s had problems. Mas heard they didn't have any full-moon-clips at the factory, and they didn't even know about the chamber problems until the run was complete. (Ranch Products was the only moonclip manufacturer at the time). They fixed it with the 625-3, and the rest is history.

Mike

P.S. By the way, Jerry Miculek's late father-in-law Jim Clark suggested the Model of 1955 (later the 25-2) to S&W, so I guess you could call him the grandfather of the 625....

Edited by Carmoney

Shooting pistol caliber in revolver has a lot of pros, with full moon clips, but as the new world (45 ACP) and the old one (9 Luger) found the perfect compromise ( 40 S&W), I think the best choice is the S&W 646 ( may be with a longer barrell).

Don't understand why Titanium cylinder, but I hope in the near future Smith & Wesson will offer more L frame 40 cal revolvers.

As I am asking, I would like also a moonclipped K frame in 9mm ( I have very contrastant memories of my S&W 547)

• 2 months later...

I found some interesting information about the .45 GAP in the latest Blue Press (yes, I actually read Blue Press, let the jokes begin). According to the article the .45 GAP has some slightly different dimensions around the case head:

"...Unlike the .45 ACP, the .45 G.A.P. utilizes a case with a slightly rebated rim with a nominal diameter of .470", which is .010" smaller than that of the .45 ACP. According to Ernest Durham (Engineer and .45 G.A.P. expert with CCI/Speer), this smaller rim diameter is intended to assist in feeding by reducing drag as the round turns upwards. Another difference between the .45 G.A.P. and the .45 ACP is that the .45 G.A.P. case has a 26 degree extractor groove, in contrast with the .45 ACP case's 36 degree extractor groove...."

I would imagine this would lead to the problems some guys were having with getting the G.A.P. brass to stay in the moon clips. Learn something new everyday... ;)

• 1 year later...

Has anyone shot .45 GAP ammo in their 625?

I have a little left over from when I owned the Glock 37, and was thinking about shooting it up through my 625. I would think it should be allright, kind of like shooting a .38 in a .357....

Actually you can load your brass at the same level of 45 ACP , 45 AutoRim or 45 HP.

It could be loose or firm in the FMC depending on the brand.

If your brass takes small pistol primer you could lighten the mainspring.

What kind of brass are you using that does NOT fit into your moonclips? A few days ago I found some once fired Speer .45 GAP at the range and it DOES fit into my moonclips. Here in PA the State Police are transitioning to the .45 GAP and if they continue to go with Speer then there should be some once fired brass floating around for a while. I don't think I'd ever want to bother loading it in my 625 though. For reasons I'll never understand, the GAP is apparently alive and well.

Dave Sinko

What kind of brass are you using that does NOT fit into your moonclips? A few days ago I found some once fired Speer .45 GAP at the range and it DOES fit into my moonclips. Here in PA the State Police are transitioning to the .45 GAP and if they continue to go with Speer then there should be some once fired brass floating around for a while. I don't think I'd ever want to bother loading it in my 625 though. For reasons I'll never understand, the GAP is apparently alive and well.

Dave Sinko

The problem is the groove OD on GAP brass is smaller than ACP brass and GAP does not stay in the moon clips very well. Fine for plinking at the range no good when you are tossing the moon clips into the gun from 6" away in a match. They will fall out.

The one Hearthco is making hold the GAP brass pretty snug.

The problem is the groove OD on GAP brass is smaller than ACP brass and GAP does not stay in the moon clips very well. Fine for plinking at the range no good when you are tossing the moon clips into the gun from 6" away in a match. They will fall out.

The one Hearthco is making hold the GAP brass pretty snug.

Hearthco can make you any clip you want as tight or as loose as you like. Just send him some brass. He is the man.

• 1 year later...