Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magnum Pistol Primers

Tr82gr

I am new to reloading and wanted to buy reloading components to get started. Since I was visiting Austin, Texas I stopped off at Cabela's and I got help from one of the guys that worked there. I asked for small pistol primers since I will be reloading 9mm and he gave me small pistol primers for magnum pistol loads. I didn't notice the mistake until after I left Austin. Can I use the magnum primers for 9mm?

You'll be fine. I use Federal Small Pistol Magnum primers for everything I load.

+1. Been using Tula SP Magnums for 9mm major and

CCI SPM for 9mm minor.

Working fine -= I've heard some people say the

the magnum primers make for a cleaner load?

Funny,

I bought 1000 Large Pistol primers at a Cabela's in Nevada and didn't know until I got home that the guy behind the counter gave me a box of Large Magnum Pistol primers. After carefully working up loads, the bottom line was they made no difference and worked perfectly fine with medium loads of 45ACP.

should be no issues...I use them in every load I shoot.

Grumpy, Can I use Federal small pistol magnum primers in my 9mm minor load (4.2 Titegroup or Vhtavuori N320 124 grain Montana Gold CMJ loaded to 1.150)? Power factor 130-135 depending on which powder used. will the magnum primers affect PF?

Grumpy, Can I use Federal small pistol magnum primers in my 9mm minor load (4.2 Titegroup or Vhtavuori N320 124 grain Montana Gold CMJ loaded to 1.150 1.160)? Power factor 130-135 depending on which powder used. will the magnum primers affect PF?

That exact load gave me problems with breech face erosion, watch your slide.

Grumpy, Can I use Federal small pistol magnum primers in my 9mm minor load (4.2 Titegroup or Vhtavuori N320 124 grain Montana Gold CMJ loaded to 1.150 1.160)? Power factor 130-135 depending on which powder used. will the magnum primers affect PF?

I don't need erosion on my breech or on my face. I will use the regular pistol primers. Thanks.

I don't need erosion on my breech or on my face. I will use the regular pistol primers. Thanks.

It's all a matter of pressure. If you have enough pressure to seal the primer in the pocket when it goes "bang", there won't be any blow back, therefore no breech face erosion. I would suspect the issue with Dyno's breech face erosion could be traced to worn out primer pockets on used brass. That much tite group should create enough pressure to seal just about anything, especially with Federal primers, which are generally softer than most others....

There are two things which cause breech face erosion....too light of a charge, or too loose primer pockets...

• 3 weeks later...

Magnum primers (in any size) are formulated for a hotter ignition flame.... no prob to to use in your application. The issue behind the creation of the magnum primer was to increase dependability in ignition. The increased ignition temp/flame is a non-issue after the powder is ignited.... the burning powder far surpasses the primer in heat/pressure.

I use normal SPP, but would take magnum if that what was avail.

It's all a matter of pressure. If you have enough pressure to seal the primer in the pocket when it goes "bang", there won't be any blow back, therefore no breech face erosion. I would suspect the issue with Dyno's breech face erosion could be traced to worn out primer pockets on used brass. That much tite group should create enough pressure to seal just about anything, especially with Federal primers, which are generally softer than most others....

There are two things which cause breech face erosion....too light of a charge, or too loose primer pockets...

Sorry for the late question. I had powder blow back around the primers and some breech face erosion in a 44 mag S&W. I found I was over charging the powder load. Lowering the charge fixed the problem. Where does this fit into the loose pockets or too light a charge as the causes of blow back? Thanks.

Sorry for the late question. I had powder blow back around the primers and some breech face erosion in a 44 mag S&W. I found I was over charging the powder load. Lowering the charge fixed the problem. Where does this fit into the loose pockets or too light a charge as the causes of blow back? Thanks.

Although it's not exactly a loose primer pocket, the cause of your erosion is probably due to a soft primer (which is kind of strange, most of the time a soft primer will generally seal quite well). My guess is that you had so much pressure, it was blowing past the seal created from the primer and cutting the breech face. Did the primers in the fired rounds looked cratere, flattened, or completely flat?

may be a silly question, but are magnum primers the same softness as regular small pistol, or are they a little harder like small rifle? Currently use CCI and Federal SR primers for my .40 major loads with brass loaded max 4x and currently see no signs of breech face erosion after about 4k rounds. Also, I guess SPM primers give a little extra velocity like SR primers?

Although it's not exactly a loose primer pocket, the cause of your erosion is probably due to a soft primer (which is kind of strange, most of the time a soft primer will generally seal quite well). My guess is that you had so much pressure, it was blowing past the seal created from the primer and cutting the breech face. Did the primers in the fired rounds looked cratere, flattened, or completely flat?

Sounds right. The primers were flatter than usual. I'm going to try a different powder to stay in the 1300 FPS range but keep the pressure down. Thanks.

I've used small rifle and small magnum for both minor 9, major 9 and major 40. In my 1911 style guns there are not problem however I have had ignition problems with them in my Glock 34 with a reduced power striker spring.

I've used both regular and magnum and done chrono on both of them the magnum average 10-15 ft more than the regular primers, roughly a tenth of a grain difference. I have friends that use magnum all time and swear they are cleaner burning than regular primers. I can't say that I've noticed much difference. I've also had friends tell me that thay have done chrono on small rifle primers and magnum pistol primers and they say they are comparable. Good luck and be safe