Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

magwell for sig-sauger x-five

edu jimenez

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just checking??

Wish I had good news. I don't have the first parts back yet but I am about to send a full batch of parts to a different anodizer that I hope will provide a faster turn around.

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely wonderful magwells! If you have need for a magwell.. these are the only game in town and worth every penny. Competition or just because.. I would like to have a couple of extras.. so the plan is to dig up a couple dollars as soon as I can and get another for my stash. Perfect Staudacher!

• 3 weeks later...

Question for Staudacher:

I have the X-5 Competition .40s&w model, but I have 8 Mecgar 15 rd extended mags, and two factory mags that came with my X-5 Competition. I have shaved off some of the base pad on the Mecgar 15rd mags and they now fit just fine in my current magwell on my X-5 Competition model.

The Standard Magwell will offer me the greatest flexibility for mag use. So, I assume the Standard Magwell will also fit on my X-5 Competition model and I don't need to order the Competition Magwell?

Thanks.

As soon as I get a response a US Postal Money order will be in the mail.

Edited by JGus

Staudacher,

Thanks for the quick reply to me email regarding my question on which magwell to buy.

US Postal Money Order is in the mail today.

Can't wait to get the Standard Magwell on my X-5 Competition!

• 1 month later...

I posted some pics on another thread under the Sig forum with the new magwell attached to my Sig P220 X-5 Competition .40s&w.

It's fantastic in both looks and function. It's extremely durable and very easy to install. I highly recommend it over the factory Sig magwell.

• 4 weeks later...

Awesome looking piece. I am hoping that you might figure out a way to attach one to a P226 without the milled slot. Maybe a set-screw? Fingers crossed.....

A practical magwell retro fit to the standard 226 is not likely mainly due to cost. However, according to one of the VPs at SIG the standard p226 frames may come from the factory with the magwell mounting rails in the near future.

Edited by staudacher

Awesome looking piece. I am hoping that you might figure out a way to attach one to a P226 without the milled slot. Maybe a set-screw? Fingers crossed.....

A practical magwell retro fit to the standard 226 is not likely mainly due to cost. However, according to one of the VPs at SIG the standard p226 frames may come from the factory with the magwell mounting rails in the near future.

If the machining is all that is necessary, is GGI or any other Sig company set-up to machine these two cuts in while they're working on a pistol?

If the machining is all that is necessary, is GGI or any other Sig company set-up to machine these two cuts in while they're working on a pistol?

It could be done but I don't think anyone is setup to do it. You might talk to Todd at Customized Creations. Just a FYI, the material isn't there on the standard frames to recreate the entire mounting rail.

Edited by staudacher

Here is an example of an X5 frame with the mounting rails.

X5_frame.jpg

And here the frame of a P226 produced Feb 2012

standardframe.jpg

As you can see you could mill the front part of the rail into the P226 frame but that would provide you with little support at the front of the magwell and only the magwell retention spring for support at the rear. It would probably work ok with the factory magwell but my magwell is designed to provide support for better control of the gun. Therefore the front the magwell will see stress. I would be concerned with the mounting rails of the magwell eventually weakening and breaking due to all the load being concentrated on the front 1/4 of the rail.

Edited by staudacher