magwell for sig-sauger x-five

edu jimenez

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

This is a rendering of the first version for use with the factory X5 basepads.

magwell_fac.jpg

And this is a rendering of the one for use with Lt. Col Roger Sherman's basepads.

magwell_sherman.jpg

I'll have a pic of one of the later prototypes mounted on a gun to post shortly.

Edited by staudacher

I have been using both the Mecgar +2 base pads and the Taylor Freelance pads with the stock X5 mag well. I had to modify both types of pads to get them to work right, but they fit nice now. If you decide to sell any of these wells I am in. The design looks great. Can't wait to see how it looks on the gun. I noticed that Max Michel was using a full size mag well on his X5, was it one of yours?

I noticed that Max Michel was using a full size mag well on his X5, was it one of yours?

He has one of the plastic prototypes on one of his guns. But I doubt you saw him using it. The 3D printed prototypes are good for mocking things up but I don't think it would be durable enough to stand up to much use.

The X5 Max shoots in limited I believe has a heavily modified Dawson magwell grafted onto it.

Edited by staudacher

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am interested in one. I have a P226 Combat so let me know when you get up and running

All the X5 frames have the properly milled ledge for sttachimg the magwells and I have seen some of the standard P226 frames that are milled for it. If your frame is milled to accept the magwell then I think you would still have to modify the grips to clear.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Staudacher, these look really great.

Ever thought about sharing the design so folks can have their own parts made online at a sight like emachineshop.com? Or are you hoping to turn this into a business?

(New to this forum. I found this thread through Google. But I ordered my reloading stuff from Brian.)

I plan on making a handful of parts to hopefully meet what demand there might be for the part and at least recoup a part of my investment. Based on what it looks like it is going to cost me per part. The price that I plan to sell them for will be only slightly above breakeven. You won't be able to make an individual part for what I plan to sell them for and I doubt there is enough of a market for me to even come close to recovering my costs. Unless you guys would be willing to chunk out about $300 per :roflol: . Then I might breakeven on this project.

Edited by staudacher

I plan on making a handful of parts to hopefully meet what demand there might be for the part and at least recoup a part of my investment. Based on what it looks like it is going to cost me per part. The price that I plan to sell them for will be only slightly above breakeven. You won't be able to make an individual part for what I plan to sell them for and I doubt there is enough of a market for me to even come close to recovering my costs. Unless you guys would be willing to chunk out about $300 per :roflol: . Then I might breakeven on this project.

That seems reasonable. I'm glad you're still working on it.

thanks for the pic. now just figure out a way to put it on my p226 other than JB weld and i will pay you money :bow:

If the front part of the ledge were milled into the raised portion of the frame I think that would provide enough support for the magwell. It would be attached in the front via the ledge and in the rear it would be captured by the magwell spring (which costs about $5 I think) and the grips. The grips would have to be altered to clear the magwell though. You might ask Bruce Gray or Roy Nelson at Grayguns or Todd at customizedcreations about the feasibility of machining the frame to add a magwell.

The side mounting rails on my magwell extend slightly farther forward than a factory magwell. I did this because the main purpose of my magwell is to provide physical support to help "control" recoil. Therefore there would be stress on the mounting rails that the factory magwell doesn't see. Even with only the front portion of the ledge milled into a standard frame I think it would still have adequate support for "normal" use. Although obviously it hasn't been tested this way and I wouldn't be able to make any guarantee that the mounting rails on the magwell might not eventually break from stress.

Edited by staudacher