Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To do an extra tigger job or not on a custom shadow?

Rye

I am in the process of getting a shadow from angus but I am still debating whether to get the extra trigger job or not. Does it really have a lot of difference as to compared to the custom job that has been done to trigger? Any input will be highly appreciated. Thanks.

which shadow are you getting at this point people need to start saying which model of the shadow they have or are getting

+1. The nomenclature is important as that's what distinguishes the different variants; AFAIK these days there's the original SP-01 Shadow ($880) which has a different Champion-esque hammer which delivers a trigger that is much better than any proletarian CZ-75 or SP-01, but not quite as good as CZ-Custom's competition hammer delivers as found on the SP-01-based Shadow Custom ($1200) and Shadow Target's (same as Shadow Custom but with an adjustable BoMar-style rear sight and wood grips instead of aluminum ones) and also the newly released short-dustcover 75 Shadow and 75 Shadow T's...

IMHO the competition hammer is worth every penny, even better than the original SP-01 Shadow's hammer (which is pretty darn good) in the trigger-awesome-ness it delivers. If your budget won't allow for the competition hammer install and trigger-work from CZ-Customs, I'd say at least find a way to scrape up the extra $63 bucks and figure out how to install the comp hammer yourself at some point (it's really not that hard), it's really that good, I'll never own another CZ without one.

I'm getting the Cz spo1 shadow custom. I'm referring to the extra 100 bucks trigger job that can be done to it. I read some post that people are really happy just with the custom trigger without the extra lightened trigger. I'm just worried about the DA pull.

DA pull is negligible after shooting it a few times. like i said, 100 bucks is what, just some ammo money. it really makes a nice difference down the road. it's much more expensive to get a nice trigger later, so might as well do it now. heck, mine is getting too dang slow to pull, i wish i got it.

I'm shooting open, Limcat Razor Cat with 1.5lb trigger. Lol. But what happened was my buddy shoots production and I tried shooting his M&P that he did some trigger job, I kinda had an AD while transitioning to another target, his s/a is kinda light. I guess just wasn't use to shooting da/sa. Maybe if I get to know the gun and the trigger will probably help a lot. Lol

Shadow with its factory hammer is pretty good.

easy to get to 2# SA, 5.5# DA

the Shadow hammer has nice short hooks and it cleans up easy

The comp hammer is narrower, so its a little lighter. it feel different when it drops. I like either.

if you know how to do your own triggers..it really is a push and depends on the feel you like.

if you need someone to do the trigger, might as well get the comp part.

Another option..

is Cajun Gunworks is recutting and builing up factory hammers..and they are beautifully done and will give you a SA trigger that is right up there with the comp hammer.

Edited by eerw

If you're getting the Shadow Custom then I'd say it depends more on how patient you are than anything else. The trigger on the Custom is going to be really great already, that 100 bucks just buys some added TLC in the polishing department and maybe some creative bending to the trigger-return-spring to shave maybe another 1/2lb or so off the pull weight... the same things will most likely happen naturally after you've sent a case or two of rounds downrange or get comfortable enough with it to detail strip it and stone the sides of the hammer, trigger-bow, etc. yourself. So question is do you want full potential right now or will 95-98% be ok for a little while? Angus and Co. will earn that $100 so it's money well spent, but the guns are great as-is and those guys are nice enough where they'd probably just tell you how to do it once you know the gun in and out.

Ok guys. I will go for the additional trigger job. I will let you guys know how it goes. The model thatch want is currently out of stock but I'll give em call. Thank you so much everyone.

I got the extra work on my Custom and it is great! I havnt shot one with the extra trigger work and one without but I say if your going to get a Custom then get the best possible trigger you can. Then you will never wonder about it and wont have to send it off to have the work done. Mine is very very smooth with the extra trigger work.

Another vote for the added trigger work. Heck when you spend that much what is another 100 bucks. Seriously, it will take some getting used to but not just lighter but seems smoother as well. Have about 2000 rounds through mine and cannot complain in any way. Only bad thing about having a gun this good is if you suck you sure cannot put it on the gun, it is you all the way.

Hey guys, I was getting ready to get a Shadow Custom, too, for my intro into USPSA production. I had thought the "stock" Shadow was about as good as it gets, but this thread has enlightened me. I hear what you guys are saying, $100 in the long run isn't anything.

So what exactly do you ask for when ordering? I Shadow Custom with a trigger job? Will that be enough to let them know what to do?

My 75 Shadow came with a very slight burr on the hammer shelf which added a little bit of creep to the trigger. It annoyed me too much to wait for it to machine itself away during break-in so I brought it to a local 'smith. He very lightly stoned the hammer and sear for $30. I couldn't be happier with the result.