Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited to Open

STIGUY

Due to aging eyes and my need for speed, I am thinking of switching to Open. I have an Edge that I was wanting to convert. I have seen discusion regarding .40 Super or something?

Can I convert the slide to function with like .38 Super or Super Comp? I have searched and thought no, but if that is the case then is it a platform JB design issue? Cause I can buy a 9MM dropin barrel for a .40 XDm.

Finally, in a previous issue of FS, it showed Taran Butler's open gun. Seemed like a long (for Open) dust cover that was cut at angle on the end. Something about a recontured sight body too? I liked the plain Jane no no nonsense look. Anybody know anything about this gun....etc. Don't think it was a Glock?

Thanks in advance for any comments/guidance!

there is alot of information on here about shooting 40s&w open

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=77956&st=0

There have been a few guys around here in Indiana do it, I think working up the right load to get the most out of the gun.

A popular load is using a 135gr bullet like the

Rainer

Getting mags tuned and getting the most capacity you can also.

I have a STI Eagle 9mm that I converted to .38 Super. I bought a used slide with barrel and comp off the USPSA forum. I had to change the ejector and have the slide fitted to the lower. It runs fine and the 9mm top still works fine on it also. Also used the same mags.

thanks,

George

I am pretty sure the slide's breech face will be a problem going from 40S&W to 38SC. SV makes a slide with a removable breech face that can accomplish what you are asking. Are you thinking of having someone alter the existing breech face on your slide.

In reality, $200 for a new 38SC slide from Caspian and new barrel is probably what you need. Get the barrel fitted and drill the holes for a C-More or have the slide cut for an optic in lieu of the rear sight.

Hello, you are correct it (38SC) does fit inside a 40 breechface. Are you suggesting there is no differences in the breechface dimensions of a 40 and 39SC? If there is a difference, then why?

BTW: Eric knows more about gunsmith and machining then I will ever hope to know.

In reading other posts, I think there might be tealiability and extraction issues. The .39 being smaller than

.40. The Limited gun that I wpoul be using as the basis, is a bull barrel gun. Due to weight....I would probably need to due the new slide batrel thing anyway. Does anyone know of a GOOD smith in the D/FW area? I

would probably send the Caspian slide off to Gans cause there is a specific look I want to pursue. Other than the cost of parts.....how much can I expect to pay for all the fitting, maching etc. Should I sell thr "Edge" topend to defray the cost? Howuch should I list this for ad I bought this gun secong had, but it is in really good to excellent condition? Not sure about the round count though?

In reading other posts, I think there might be tealiability and extraction issues. The .39 being smaller than

.40. The Limited gun that I wpoul be using as the basis, is a bull barrel gun. Due to weight....I would probably need to due the new slide batrel thing anyway. Does anyone know of a GOOD smith in the D/FW area? I

would probably send the Caspian slide off to Gans cause there is a specific look I want to pursue. Other than the cost of parts.....how much can I expect to pay for all the fitting, maching etc. Should I sell thr "Edge" topend to defray the cost? Howuch should I list this for ad I bought this gun secong had, but it is in really good to excellent condition? Not sure about the round count though?

Just personal experience--You are not going to get much from selling the topend. Look for a used 38 Super or 38SC. You can convert a 38 Super to 38SC by changing the extractor. You can always have a new slide fitted by Gans down the road (Given your barrel is worth moving it to a new slide.) Probably better to have new comp/barrel/slide fitted, but Gans could definitely advise once he looked at the frame.

A good smith is fine, but you really want one that has built open guns. :)

Personally I think it is unwise to take a perfectly good limited gun and convert it to an open gun 40 or not. I just saw a low round count LimCat on USPSA Classifieds for $1495 with mags. By the time you convert a limited gun and in this case pay a smith to do the work, buy mags you will be money in the hole on the deal. IMHO

• 4 weeks later...

Well.....I guess I will have to revalue my wants and needs? Until I can avoid spending a quarter of the year working for the gov. and/or getting rid of an expensive girl friend, not going to be buying an open gun.

Too many gun wants and NEVER enough money?

A couple posts up FullRace mentions Gan's, that would be my answer too. I wouldn't trash a good limited gun with a conversion, I'd start buying the parts/or used gun and send it to Gary Natale(Gan's) for any work that needed done. A while back my buddy just got a real good running race gun for under $1,200.. There are deals out there, keep looking.

• 2 weeks later...

You mentioned wanting to send it off to Gans. He did my 40 open top end. He can turn down your bull barrel to classic diameter, thread it, and attach a cone comp. Open division is fun and you can be competitive with the 40 cal.