Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spartan slide lock problem

Marv Z

I just put a new mainspring housing and S&A magwell on my STI Spartan. Never had the grip safety or leaf spring out. Took it to the range and it jams on almost every round and is locking the slide lock lever up. Rack the slide and it goes right into battery and fires fine, then it locks open again. I went as far as holding the lever down and it shoots normal then. Multiple mags with the same results. I am burning up the rest of some Blazer aluminum case 230gr ammo and haven't tried it with decent ammo. I have run this ammo in this gun before with good results. What did I frack up or is this just a unrelated problem? I honestly can't see how the mainspring housing/magwell can cause this. But I'm not a 1911 smith by any means and can't figure this one out. Thanks!!!

I'm not a 1911 guy but since no one has responded I'll throw down my $0.02. Maybe the magwell/mainspring housing is causing the magazine to bind or sit differently than before and thereby causing feeding issues. I'd take both mainspring housings to the range and try them back to back.

Is the slide lock actually engaged or is a bullet just not feeding and holding the slide open? I can't picture in my mind what keeps the 1911 slide lock from engaging during normal operation. Maybe the slide lock was damaged the the last time you field stripped it?

I just put a new mainspring housing and S&A magwell on my STI Spartan. Never had the grip safety or leaf spring out. Took it to the range and it jams on almost every round and is locking the slide lock lever up. Rack the slide and it goes right into battery and fires fine, then it locks open again. I went as far as holding the lever down and it shoots normal then. Multiple mags with the same results. I am burning up the rest of some Blazer aluminum case 230gr ammo and haven't tried it with decent ammo. I have run this ammo in this gun before with good results. What did I frack up or is this just a unrelated problem? I honestly can't see how the mainspring housing/magwell can cause this. But I'm not a 1911 smith by any means and can't figure this one out. Thanks!!!

Is this the one-piece S&A magwell and mainspring combo?

http://www.smithanda.../images/mg3.jpg

You made a change and things went to Hell.

Un-change.

Put the original parts back in and verify it runs. If so, you know where the problem is.

**I'd be very interested to learn that an S&A caused this.

I had a similar problem with my 2011; the slide stop was working its way out slighly and was intermittently locking up the slide. I put a small detent in the stop to keep it from moving on its own and the problem appears to be solved.

Mike

The mags insert and drop freely with no binding that I can feel. It actually pushs the slide lock lever up and locks the slide open. It's really not a jam as much as just the lever catching the slide. Rack the slide and it closes with no problem. It's just like the mag is empty and locking the slide back. I'll have to tear it down again and if I can't find anything I'll try the old parts back in it. Thanks!!!

Is this the one-piece S&A magwell and mainspring combo?

http://www.smithanda.../images/mg3.jpg

You made a change and things went to Hell.

Un-change.

Put the original parts back in and verify it runs. If so, you know where the problem is.

**I'd be very interested to learn that an S&A caused this.

It's actually the magwell that was on my 9mm trojan. I put a Dawson ice magwell on it and and transfered the old one to the Spartan. It is a two piece housing and well attachment. It's possible it may be a different brand, as Brazos put it on the 9mm when I bought it. Thanks!!!

I would have to agree with the above ideas of putting it back to stock and see if it functions. If the problem still exists, then maybe look at your grip. Perhaps you're hitting the slide release with your thumb?

I doubt it. After the first ten times in a row it happened, I was very consious of where I had my grip. Has to be something that happened while it was apart for the magwell install.

• 2 months later...

I too have a Spartan .45 with same problem. I lock back at least 2-3 times per mag. The bullet seems to be jammed down. I rack the slide, fires a couple then jams again. I am using the 2 factory mags and a couple of ACT mags. I am not sure if your bullets are jamming down. Using 230 gr. fmj, at length of 1.21. If anyone has suggestions for us, please chime in!!

If you look at the underside of the slide stop I bet you will see where the nose of the bullet is hitting it. Simple fix - remove a little metal in that area. I load 230 ball to 1.270".