Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson Precision .160 front sight

meangreen75

Has anyone here put this front sight on their gun? Like everyone else (it seems) my 9 Pro shoots Atlantic Arms 115 gr. JHP 6" low. I'm considering running the plain old black .160 Dawson Precision front sight on it but I would really like to hear from someone that might have already installed it and got results.

Thanks in advance.

Meanie

Try the front sight formula,

measure your sight radius from the rear of your rear sight to the rear of your front sight in inches, measure the amount of error in inches, measure the distance from the muzzle to the target in INCHES,

so take sight radius X target error divided by target distance. You left out target but I am gonna guess 25 yards (900 inches) and a 5 inch sight radius, (sight radius needs to be exact to the thousandth of an inch)

So 5X6/900 = .0333333,, so in this case you would need a front sight .03 inches shorter than you have now. So if your current sight is a .190 and your going to a .160 you would probably be right on. Like I said get exact sight radius numbers and plug em in.

I just put a fiber optic one on last week on my M&P PRO9. It now shoots POA at 10yds and about 3" high at 25yds. I really like the red/orange fiber it comes with. It is easier to focus on for me. I also got the .115 wide which is quicker to pick up.

Okay so being the cheapie that I am, I went out and filed down the front sight today. It didn't take much. I now have a POA/POI pistol at the 25 yard line. I used a blue pen to clean up the top and now I'm good to go. The only crappy thing is that the gun still shoots 7" low at the 50 yard line. That might not make a difference to most folks but I'm going to use this pistol for competition. I was shooting Federal 147 gr JHP. I'm just going to have to adjust at the 50. :(

Meanie

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I read that the stock front sight is also .160 high, is that correct someone?

Eric

It is for the standard M&P's, the 5" guns use a .180.

Any idea on the stock rear sight height on the 5" guns? Thanks.

I'm pretty sire the rears are all the same height. I took one off a standard gun, and put it on my 5" and they were the same height.

Okay so being the cheapie that I am, I went out and filed down the front sight today. It didn't take much. I now have a POA/POI pistol at the 25 yard line. I used a blue pen to clean up the top and now I'm good to go. The only crappy thing is that the gun still shoots 7" low at the 50 yard line. That might not make a difference to most folks but I'm going to use this pistol for competition. I was shooting Federal 147 gr JHP. I'm just going to have to adjust at the 50. :(

Meanie

ummm, thats called Trajectory. All firearms and ammo experiance this. Did you expect that it would hit in the same place at all distances??